IGNORED

Steve Phillips?

Carey 6

Apparently going to forest green ...

hes really upped his game since leaving us :winner_third_h4h: (sarcasm!!!)

i wonder if he now feels that it was the right decision to leave us for those other bunch of imbreds in bristol ?

what do you think of all this ?

Guest DanC

i wonder if he now feels that it was the right decision to leave us for those other bunch of imbreds in bristol ?

He didn't leave us we told him to not come anywhere near bs3 again.

To be fair, the FGR 'rumour' is complete codshit - there is however a rumour that he could be off to Swindon to join up with Wilson again.

I'd be sad to see him go, yes he makes a few mistakes but there are no keepers at our level who don't and he's the best we've had since Nigel Martyn.

To be fair, the FGR 'rumour' is complete codshit - there is however a rumour that he could be off to Swindon to join up with Wilson again.

I'd be sad to see him go, yes he makes a few mistakes but there are no keepers at our level who don't and he's the best we've had since Nigel Martyn.

i pitty you lot if flapper is the best keeper you have had since martyn

Of course he was right to leave Bristol City....he knew that Adriano Basso was streets ahead of him in terms of ability and style.

So, when the going gets tough the stuffed get going!!

:gasmask:

Twice voted into the PFA League One (or the then-equivilent) team of the season?

Some of you lot have short memories...

all he was/is a good shot stopper he doesn't command his area poor distribution and awful kicking and more prone to dropping a clanger than david james

didnt trundle win a few league 1 player of the year awards :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

all he was/is a good shot stopper he doesn't command his area poor distribution and awful kicking and more prone to dropping a clanger than david james

didnt trundle win a few league 1 player of the year awards :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

Yeah, and he is/was a phenomenon in L1...

OBJ: Shearer was one of the worst keepers I've ever seen...!

Guest MaloneFM

Brian Parkin.

Crazy haircut crazy guy!

Playing for Wycombe on a Wednesday night. The usual jollity greets him. Charges out of his area for a catch, looks down, sees he's halfway to the Portway, drops the ball and pleads innocence.

Unlucky, off you go haircut boy. As he traipses around the pitch with our good wishes ringing in his ears, Tins slots home the resulting free kick as he is halfway around.

It was a long, long walk after that.

Guest churchill gaffer

Now wake up! :disapointed2se:

I can't remember it very well, but i'm sure he made a huge mistake against Kingstonian in the FA cup that time.

No, Phillips was innocent, their goal was down to Carey.

Tony Thorpe's last second equaliser was a great memory.

Twice voted into the PFA League One (or the then-equivilent) team of the season?

Agree with that - hypocrites !

These are the same posters who say Orr must be a great defender cos he made the CCC team just once.

Not much to choose between SP and AB in my opinion - both great shot stoppers both lousy at commanding the goal area and both poor kickers.

I really fail to understand why when an AG hero leaves us he is suddenly subjected to insults and becomes a poor player ??

I have to say that Basso regardless of last season is better than Philips ever was for us. But I still feel we have let a goalkeeper with bags of potential walk to leicester.

Oh and to Fordingbridge I have to agree with you there. Shearer has no domination of his area and isn't at all agile. Can't believe he went to Shrewsbury to be honest.

The Oxford game was one of his very early games - He had an absolute mare, but he was our only keeper, and Pulis was undermining his confidence. Plenty of favourite moments, a number of away games where he was outstanding, plenty of home games where he saved our bacon, playing through a number of minor injuries when we had no reserve, PFA Keeper of the year, the penalty save that relegated the Gas. As Third Division keepers go, he is definitely one of the better ones, not sure if he is quite up to Championship standard.

As for the original rumour, I think it was from the same source linking us with Didier Drogba!

These are the same posters who say Orr must be a great defender cos he made the CCC team just once.

Not much to choose between SP and AB in my opinion - both great shot stoppers both lousy at commanding the goal area and both poor kickers.

I really fail to understand why when an AG hero leaves us he is suddenly subjected to insults and becomes a poor player ??

what you on about basso is twice the player phillips is

phillips was and always will be a half decent lower league gk if basso was at city at the same age we got phillips he would of been playing Premier League football bt now

Many people say Orr is a good defender because they can see his contribution to the game. During the last six months of Phillips spell at AG he was anything but a hero. People are not blind and could see clearly that he refused to warm up with Basso. Why should such unprofessional behaviour be accorded hero worship status? Basso has done it at Championship level and Phillips hasn't - that makes Basso a far better keeper in my book. He may not be commanding but he at least comes off his line on a fairly regular basis - have a look at the number of headed goals the Blue Few concede in the six yard box compared to us (and at a lower level too) and then tell me that Basso is no more commanding than Flapper.

See your point, and he was a good player for us in his day. Although I don't have a very good opinion of him due to how he handled the whole situation.

Basso v Phillips? No contest in my view. Basso every time

Notts County at home in the FA Cup, flapper lets a goal in from 30+ yards and blames the ball.

I would have thought GJ and flapper would have got on well, both blame outside influences when they should be looking 'in house'.

BCAGFC

Many keepers cant command their area, even Paul Robinson when he was England no.1 often got critisised for it.

He is a fantastic shot stopper. If he could command his box well he wouldn't be in league one. He isn't the greatest keeper in the world but he is a good league one keeper.

Take away the bias and I am sure any City fan with a brain would admit that. I remember many of you saying the same on here when he was a City player.

I'm not comparing the two because I haven't seen much of the Brazilian, but hasn't Basso dropped a few clangers?

yes basso dropped some clangers but he also pulls off world class saves phillips could only do on fifa

i was always nervous when phillips was in goal when the ball was played back to him the ball could end up anywhere also phillips goal kicks were the worst ive ever seen from a professional footballer i mean he couldn't even reach the half way line normally going out for a throw in it was just hit and hope no control whatsoever and his attitude when he was faced with decent competition was nothing short of a disgrace

answer me this if flapper is so good why did he end up in league 2 when he left and not joining a league 1 side and how come whenever i need a good laugh and pop over to the gas 606 board the first position 90% of your fans want a new gk and flapper shown the door

Steve Phillips was a decent keeper for us, who pulled off some fantastic saves that kept us in games, so for me he was a pretty good keeper who's good games out weighed the poor one's. Of course he made mistakes but there's no need to re-write history just because he no longer plays for us!

Steve Phillips was a decent keeper for us, who pulled off some fantastic saves that kept us in games, so for me he was a pretty good keeper who's good games out weighed the poor one's. Of course he made mistakes but there's no need to re-write history just because he no longer plays for us!

I agree. Apart from the end when he started to lose the plot, the favt he played every game for us for 4 years says it all, if he was that bad he would have been sold sooner.

In fact, iirc he actually did a fine job at AG when we played Rovers in the LDV.

Archived