IGNORED

Steve Phillips?

Carey 6

Don't get me wrong - Basso is still the better keeper of the two clearly, but Phillips shot stopping alone is as good as you'll find anywhere in the Football League.

OBJ: I was hoping that we'd actually let Shearer play against us at Wembley for Shrewsbury, we'd have a better chance of scoring!!

Don't get me wrong - Basso is still the better keeper of the two clearly, but Phillips shot stopping alone is as good as you'll find anywhere in the Football League.

OBJ: I was hoping that we'd actually let Shearer play against us at Wembley for Shrewsbury, we'd have a better chance of scoring!!

Shot-stopping? better than Basso?? no way.

all he was/is a good shot stopper he doesn't command his area poor distribution and awful kicking and more prone to dropping a clanger than david james

didnt trundle win a few league 1 player of the year awards :whistle2::whistle2::whistle2:

oh you mean like basso? the only difference between the two is that basso has a good attitude!! oh and i am city before anyone comes out with this "i smell gas" sh*t

oh you mean like basso? the only difference between the two is that basso has a good attitude!! oh and i am city before anyone comes out with this "i smell gas" sh*t

In comparison to phillips, basso is amazing at coming for crosses.

ps I smell gas!

Many keepers cant command their area, even Paul Robinson when he was England no.1 often got critisised for it.

He is a fantastic shot stopper. If he could command his box well he wouldn't be in league one. He isn't the greatest keeper in the world but he is a good league one keeper.

Take away the bias and I am sure any City fan with a brain would admit that. I remember many of you saying the same on here when he was a City player.

I'm not comparing the two because I haven't seen much of the Brazilian, but hasn't Basso dropped a few clangers?

But really we were on to a bad one with Robinson to start with. He had put on a lot of weight and just didn't seem to show real international class. A mistake was bound to happen.

Phillips was ok I suppose. He never seemed to really dominate on corners but I can't say Basso fills me with confidence either. And yes Basso has dropped a few clangers, big clangers too but I still support him because he's the one between the sticks and I always want this football club to suceed. I believe Basso's best role for the future though (i.e. beyond next season) is assisting in coaching and developing Henderson as much as possible for the future.

I remember that when we played you in the Johnstone Paint cup I was always dissapointed with the goal we conceeded. The defending should have been sharper - as should have been Basso. But on the whole Basso is more agile (even if he over dramatises) than Phillips and has produced some great (if un-neccessary) diving saves from free kicks.

As for Scott Shearer well, you never know. If he had of played he probably would have had a blinder. Then you really wouldn't like him!!!

No, Phillips was innocent, their goal was down to Carey.

Tony Thorpe's last second equaliser was a great memory.

Ok sorry you're probably right, I just remember it being said on Match Of The Day.

Thorpe's last mintute header was a great memory!

In comparison to phillips, basso is amazing at coming for crosses.

ps I smell gas!

lets no kid our selves hes realy not, basso is idolised so people don't seem to notice errors in his games. half the decent saves he makes he could take one step to the side and catch it but he does a camera save instead

lets no kid our selves hes realy not, basso is idolised so people don't seem to notice errors in his games. half the decent saves he makes he could take one step to the side and catch it but he does a camera save instead

Basso is very decisive when coming for crosses. The only "mistake" i can recall is when the wind blew the ball out of his reach vs wolves.

Basso is very decisive when coming for crosses. The only "mistake" i can recall is when the wind blew the ball out of his reach vs wolves.

i cant agree with you there, he only comes out when it 100% in his favour. you very rarely see him coming over players to clame the ball. I'm not saying i want him coming for everthing but he realy isnt as good as many make out

well you mustn't watch many city games then you probably get your info from the ep

But really we were on to a bad one with Robinson to start with. He had put on a lot of weight and just didn't seem to show real international class. A mistake was bound to happen.

Phillips was ok I suppose. He never seemed to really dominate on corners but I can't say Basso fills me with confidence either. And yes Basso has dropped a few clangers, big clangers too but I still support him because he's the one between the sticks and I always want this football club to suceed. I believe Basso's best role for the future though (i.e. beyond next season) is assisting in coaching and developing Henderson as much as possible for the future.

I remember that when we played you in the Johnstone Paint cup I was always dissapointed with the goal we conceeded. The defending should have been sharper - as should have been Basso. But on the whole Basso is more agile (even if he over dramatises) than Phillips and has produced some great (if un-neccessary) diving saves from free kicks.

As for Scott Shearer well, you never know. If he had of played he probably would have had a blinder. Then you really wouldn't like him!!!

I can see your point WRT the goal in the JPT tie, but I don't think you can blame Basso at all, the shot was past him before he could even think about moving for it.

also phillips goal kicks were the worst ive ever seen from a professional footballer i mean he couldn't even reach the half way line normally going out for a throw in it was just hit and hope no control whatsoever

Try watching Roberts winner against Hartlepool again and tell me Phillip's kicks were rubbish. Some people are just so deluded sometimes, granted Basso is the better keeper but I think it's Basso's goalkicks that you need to worry about, Phillips was more than capable kicking a standing ball.

Phillips is shot stopping is better than Bassos! Tell your a gashead! Basso is god like compared to Flapper and always will be!

I didn't say better my friend, just said that on that aspect alone of Phillips' game, he's as good as anyone.

Clearly you've seen Basso a lot more than me but I actually worded my original remark wrong - I meant in League One rather than the whole league.

Try watching Roberts winner against Hartlepool again and tell me Phillip's kicks were rubbish. Some people are just so deluded sometimes, granted Basso is the better keeper but I think it's Basso's goalkicks that you need to worry about, Phillips was more than capable kicking a standing ball.

the first few seasons he was in the first team he couldn't kick the ball to save his life granted it got better but it was still hit and hope

ps ive only seen the gas twice in the last god knows how many years and his kicking was crap then aswell

the first few seasons he was in the first team he couldn't kick the ball to save his life granted it got better but it was still hit and hope

ps ive only seen the gas twice in the last god knows how many years and his kicking was crap then aswell

Can't say I've noticed a massive problem in general with his kicking, certainly no more than any other keeper at this level.

i was always nervous when phillips was in goal when the ball was played back to him the ball could end up anywhere also phillips goal kicks were the worst ive ever seen from a professional footballer i mean he couldn't even reach the half way line normally going out for a throw in it was just hit and hope no control whatsoever

I think you've typed Phillips when you meant to type Basso.

When Basso first came to us, he could barely kick it out the penalty box!

Luckily he worked on it and is 'by and large' alright now.

Archived