IGNORED

Izzy Iriekpen

Does anyone know the extent of the injury? because if it isn't too serious i completely disagree with this.

Izzy showed himself to be a much better player than mccombe, yet that lumbering buffoon remians on the books?

he better have a bloody serious injury to justify this. :noexpression:

Does anyone know the extent of the injury? because if it isn't too serious i completely disagree with this.

Izzy showed himself to be a much better player than mccombe, yet that lumbering buffoon remians on the books?

McCombe had a poor season in 2008/09. However the previous season he played a hell of a lot of games for a side that finished 4th & got to the PO final based mainly on a strong rear guard. I would suggest that "lumbering buffoon" is somewhat harsh.

McCombe had a poor season in 2008/09. However the previous season he played a hell of a lot of games for a side that finished 4th & got to the PO final based mainly on a strong rear guard. I would suggest that "lumbering buffoon" is somewhat harsh.

Well said - but he was shocking at the end of last season!

This has to be the most ridiculous post EVER in the history on forums.

Do you really think they would not sign someone if they had a minor injury they thought would sort itself out in a reasonable amount of time? Utter bafoon.

It probably his knee(s) meaning he would miss large parts of the season therefore not worth signing. Shame as WHEN FIT was a very commisted defender, but make sense in the long run.

Well said - but he was shocking at the end of last season!

I don't disagree & he wouldn't be an automatic pick for me. However I would use him sparingly against sides that have a beast, ala, Parkin upfront.

I do feel some fans are much like Woody in Toy Story ... way to eager to bin the old toys in favour of the new. McCombe was a key component of our promotion to the CCC & then performed well in the next season. Yes he was poor last season (I don't think it helps that the hard summer pitches give him shin splints so he tends to miss pre season & some of the opening games) but some of the criticism is beyond necessary.

Hopefully we'll sign Buzz Lightyear!

GJ says we have 3 to 4 centre backs... If you're James Wilson you can't be liking that remark.

But that is only 2 playing and 2 'spares', one of which is likely to be injured or suspended anyway. How many times have we had all 4 fit at the same time. If i was James wilson I'd be happy to be included with those high odds of playing.

I don't disagree & he wouldn't be an automatic pick for me. However I would use him sparingly against sides that have a beast, ala, Parkin upfront.

I do feel some fans are much like Woody in Toy Story ... way to eager to bin the old toys in favour of the new. McCombe was a key component of our promotion to the CCC & then performed well in the next season. Yes he was poor last season (I don't think it helps that the hard summer pitches give him shin splints so he tends to miss pre season & some of the opening games) but some of the criticism is beyond necessary.

Hopefully we'll sign Buzz Lightyear!

If we did then would it be, "to the Liberty and beyond!"?

Can't believe some of the posts on here. Izzy (who I've liked don't get me wrong) has played about 5 games for us this season at most whereas McCombe's been here 3 seasons! In that time we've had a promotion, a play off final (where we unfortunately missed him) and a respectable 10th in a very competitive division. Add to that the fact that he's nearly always the stand-in captain if Carey's unavailable and I doubt McCombe will be going anywhere soon. I like Jamie and some of the posts on here are incredibly harsh.

Id be happy to stick with just carey, fonts, mccombe and wilson

why pad out the squad and wagebill with more senior pros that stand in the way of the likes of j.wilson who is meant to be a real talent.

worst case scenario we have seen that skuse and even bradley can do a temp job at centreback, or an emergency loan can be used.

He's got a long injury history, read between the lines for crying out loud.

Besides, why the big upset about us releasing a bit part player who only played a couple of decent games when looking for a new contract?

Easily replaceable and no real surprise.

:city: Feel so sorry for the bloke,he is quality but his fitness has let him down throughout his career.

Pity really as a fit Izzy would have made a great addition to out squad.

All that we can do is to wish him all the best for the rest of his career. :fingerscrossed:

He's got a long injury history, read between the lines for crying out loud.

Besides, why the big upset about us releasing a bit part player who only played a couple of decent games when looking for a new contract?

Easily replaceable and no real surprise.

Agree players like Irekapen are two a penny, he played what 5 games and did a solid job, plenty of other CB's around that can do what he did and probably better.

Comments about Mccombe are a tad harsh imo, yes he may not have the pace or footwork of a centre half like Fontaine, but in 2007/08 he showed that he can perform consistently at this level when asked to do so. I agree he was close to woeful at the tail end of last season, but i still think having a defender like him in the squad is vital.

McCombe is a big part of our team, every player goes through a dip in performances, pointless saying that because he had a few poor games he needs to be sold.

When we signed Izzy tbh I was underwhelmed, a solid enough CB but I do think we can do better than Izzy. No disresepct to him.

Take Carey, McCombe, Fonts, Orr, Jamie Mac with Riberio + Wilson as stars of a few seasons time and it does become obvious that our defence needs strngthening.

This has to be the most ridiculous post EVER in the history on forums.

Do you really think they would not sign someone if they had a minor injury they thought would sort itself out in a reasonable amount of time? Utter bafoon.

It probably his knee(s) meaning he would miss large parts of the season therefore not worth signing. Shame as WHEN FIT was a very commisted defender, but make sense in the long run.

WOAH NELLY!

did i say it was minor injury? NO, i asked the question. I have seen no information and asked for some. I din't realise that was a crime.

I rate Izzy higher than mccombe. I personally think thats a very understandble view considering mccombe has been a defensive liability since he signed, and has masked it by scoring the occasional goal. I'd much rather have a solid consistent defender who never scores (fontaine) to a lumbering, mistake prone long ball merchant who pops up with the odd goal from set pieces.

thats my opinion. anyone else got one or just going to harp on about ###### straw man arguments and how the sun shines out of there ###### arse?

WOAH NELLY!

did i say it was minor injury? NO, i asked the question. I have seen no information and asked for some. I din't realise that was a crime.

I rate Izzy higher than mccombe. I personally think thats a very understandble view considering mccombe has been a defensive liability since he signed, and has masked it by scoring the occasional goal. I'd much rather have a solid consistent defender who never scores (fontaine) to a lumbering, mistake prone long ball merchant who pops up with the odd goal from set pieces.

thats my opinion. anyone else got one or just going to harp on about ###### straw man arguments and how the sun shines out of there ###### arse?

Goals have nothing to do with it. McCombe does a job that was very important in league one and is only occasionally important at this level, simple as that. He's nowhere near as bad as the unjustified slating you're giving him suggests despite obvious limitations against pacey players. That aside I think it's quite naive to rate a player as much as you seem to do Iriekpen on the basis of a handful of games where he is playing desperately for a contract. He was let go by Scunny because he was crocked and unavailable half the time and he's been injured much of his time here. It seems a bit OTT to have a rant at us letting him go given the facts and especially to direct it at McCombe who's given the club good service.

We wouldn't want a Brooker/Doncaster situation would we? :disapointed2se:

Goals have nothing to do with it. McCombe does a job that was very important in league one and is only occasionally important at this level, simple as that. He's nowhere near as bad as the unjustified slating you're giving him suggests despite obvious limitations against pacey players. That aside I think it's quite naive to rate a player as much as you seem to do Iriekpen on the basis of a handful of games where he is playing desperately for a contract. He was let go by Scunny because he was crocked and unavailable half the time and he's been injured much of his time here. It seems a bit OTT to have a rant at us letting him go given the facts and especially to direct it at McCombe who's given the club good service.

I would agree, two seperate issues. McCombe had a dreadful end to the season, no doubt about it. Away at QPR he was particularly abject, but he is a good honest pro with limitations and has served the club well. Short-term memories tend to shout loudest in football. He needs some TLC and to regain his confidence imo.

Iriekpen did ok. Lets face it on a free, short-term deal it was win/win for both parties, and he was a bugger sight better than the truly woeful Andy Webster, though even Milly at his age would have been better than Webster!!! :innocent06:

However, after shipping Brooker and Weale out, two players who have picked up a lot of readies for spending so much time on the sidelines, GJ and his team have to be cautious. If Iriekpen was injured as frequently as those two, GJ would have got hammered on here for signing him.

Remember the farce of Pulis signing Paul Mortimer?? We would have been better off setting fire to his wages in the EE in January to keep warm!! His scouting policy began and ended at Lilleshall.

Which brings me neatly to Sodje, imo that looks unlikely given his Ledley King knees and inability to train. Good as he may be the same criteria must apply to him as to Izzy. Gavin Williams is one of my favourite players but we need players fit in August, not later in the season.

If we are aiming for a smaller, more competitive squad signing players with well known injury probs/poor fitness records has to stop.

Brilliant post Wellyred, agree 100%.

I'd just add that not only Williams, but Carey and Elliott, two essential players are starting to get a bit injury prone, so we cannot add more to the squad with poor availability records.

I don't really mind his defensive limitations against pacey strikers, I can handle that. what i cannot stand watching anymore is the complete lack of thought in every aspect to his game. what is teh point in having Lee Johnson "offering an option" if we have players like mccombe and mccalister who are just going to aimlessly hit it high into the clouds in the hope that it falls onto a red head?

at least with carey the balls are in general diagonal, aimed at the wingers run, or infact aimed at a target man. It was scary the number of times mccombe hit it long at MAYNARD last season.... that to me says it all.

we have posters on here who want more attractive football, want us to play to our strenghts. seeing as we don't have a target man, having inept long ball merchants is only going to put us into the situation we nearly found ourself in last year. we have now progressed from league 1, we have no need for a player of his limitations, we are in a suitable position to attract a player who can head the ball but also possesses something near a footballing brain.

won't happen though. never does.

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ei...sa=N&tab=wn

top story, i cant click as my work filter picks up ****!

Vital sources understand that S****horpe United are in the running to re sign defender Izzy Iriekpen.

The defender has been released by Bristol City after a six month period there and manager Nigel Adkins is believed to be considering an offer.

The Championship rivals didn't sign him because of doubts over his fitness.

The ex club captain left in December after a perceived falling with Nigel Adkins, but the boss may see him as the man to solve the club's defensive problems.

Archived