IGNORED

7 Out, None In

myol'man

No offer for Izzy means that 7 of the squad have now gone,

( Weale, Styver, Noble, JMW, Scotty, Dele [ OS says Dele released ] and Izzy)

with no signings coming in.

Worrying lack of activity, or just part of the summer waiting game?

What do you think?

I'm not too worried yet

like GJ said better players should become interested later in the summer as they realise that maybe they arent getting the interest their agent has convinced them they will.

I think its good of GJ to do the interviews like he did yesterday and at end of xmas transfer window. Clears a lot of stuff up and also quashes some of our wild rumour-mongering on here :laugh:.

Hopefully we will start to see some action soon after 1st July. In my eyes we desperately need a right winger and two new strikers. I think the big one is going to be replacing dele, GJ cannot afford another flop striker.

Well the transfer window hasnt even opened yet so I don't really know what the problem is?

Been open for 10 days actually. Agree though, no need to panic.

I don't care who we sign or don't sign. At least with GJ we know they'll be giving 100%, unlike Tiniions magic 7 who were all just awful panic signings.

This is repetition but here are the transfers so far for June:

http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8076956.stm

There is not, and never is, a lot of activity at this stage. If our fans are in a panic already presumably everybody else's are too. :disapointed2se:

Exactly, nobody else has really been splashing the cash thus far, the only activity has been free deals.

Its suprising how many people on here are getting concerned, as chniapig rightly said there is never much activity in june so i think people need to relax.

Splitting hairs perhaps, but with John not having his loan spell renewed it is 8 surely.

Not splitting hairs at all, in fact I'd add Stambolsiev who would have been in the extended professional squad, with his own squad number, even if perhaps rarely in the matchday 16.

So that's 9 (NINE ) out and 3 in - Jackson, Kington and Edwards.

p.s. If you really want to split hairs you could say I'm adding Stambolsiev for dramatic effect because of course he's leaving the squad before he actually ever became part of it - which would be true - but he still counts as one more out in my book. :yes:

For those who are apparently concerned about the lack of incoming activity at the club, just check out the rest of the CCC sides. There`s not a lot of action to be had anywhere at the moment.

So relax, chill out and enjoy the summer ( !!!! )........and for those who are interested, thank god for the distraction of an Ashes series.

PDG

The only thing I'm concerned about is that 8 have gone and we were already thin on the ground at times last season. IMO 5 serious quality players need to be brought in with some of our younger lads being given a chance.

No offer for Izzy means that 7 of the squad have now gone,

( Weale, Styver, Noble, JMW, Scotty, Dele [ OS says Dele released ] and Izzy)

What do you think?

The thing is of the 7, 6 were at the end of their contracts, we knew before the season ended that Scotty, JMW and Noble were off and it is no surprise that Weale left (for first team football), noise about Dele leaving was also going round before the season ended also. Only Styver has gone from the squad that had contracts. It is not like we have sold 6 players that were contracted to us. If you look at the 7 only Izzy and Dele were near the first team for the last 10 games of the season so the others were non playing squad members.

How many of those 8 were actually in serious first team contention though?

Stambolsiev wasn't even on a pro deal, Myrie-Williams hadn't been involved for 2 years, Murray was peripheral at best, Styvar and Iriekpen were January signings who barely figured, Weale was regularly injured and I doubt that Noble started more than 5 games last time out.

Only Dele could be really considered a proper first choice, and there is plenty of time still for GJ to add what he needs and I'd be more than happy with 4 first choice not squad players added in the form of a left back, right winger and 2 front men.

How many of those 8 were actually in serious first team contention though?

Stambolsiev wasn't even on a pro deal, Myrie-Williams hadn't been involved for 2 years, Murray was peripheral at best, Styvar and Iriekpen were January signings who barely figured, Weale was regularly injured and I doubt that Noble started more than 5 games last time out.

Only Dele could be really considered a proper first choice, and there is plenty of time still for GJ to add what he needs and I'd be more than happy with 4 first choice not squad players added in the form of a left back, right winger and 2 front men.

How many of those left are actually in serious first team contention though? :dunno:

I make it a total of 24 left - including reserve keeper Henderson, and 'youngsters' Artus, J.Wilson, Plummer, Ribeiro, Jackson, Kington, Edwards and the injured Walker. As much as we might like to think they will play the reality is none of these are likely to feature much. So 15.

Many have also discounted Trundle as likely to be off loaded if possible, and believe Akinde is not ready or likely to go out on loan. 13 then. Not even bare bones or enough for a matchday squad, even if you add Henderson.

Then we have often injured Elliott and Williams, plus Sproule, who again many, including me, think is not worthy of anything more than an impact sub role.

You say only Dele was a proper first team choice but Iriekpen and John were brought in as immediate first 16 players due to lack of numbers/injuries and Styvar, we were led to believe, was definitely thought of as first team material.

We know that 4 new signings would not all be immediate first choice, GJ doesn't work like that, and often a new level of fitness needs to be acquired by new signings which can take a considerable time.

We do need 4 new first teamers but we also need numbers to compete in this division and with all the outgoings, and the number of youngsters, a total of 4 new signings would be too few on my opinion.

Unless of course I am wrong and GJ genuinely sees a role for several of the youngsters to step in straight away if there are injuries/suspensions which in many ways would be my preferred option.

Not strictly true - we have signed up three youngsters, who are part of the squad. They count as players. Including the four that we have bids in for, doesn't that make seven...?

I seem to recall a lot of our players have been brought in quietly by GJ towards the end of the window: how about McCombe or Elliott? I think we'll get some action on the transfer front soon enough.

How many of those left are actually in serious first team contention though? :dunno:

I make it a total of 24 left - including reserve keeper Henderson, and 'youngsters' Artus, J.Wilson, Plummer, Ribeiro, Jackson, Kington, Edwards and the injured Walker. As much as we might like to think they will play the reality is none of these are likely to feature much. So 15.

Many have also discounted Trundle as likely to be off loaded if possible, and believe Akinde is not ready or likely to go out on loan. 13 then. Not even bare bones or enough for a matchday squad, even if you add Henderson.

Then we have often injured Elliott and Williams, plus Sproule, who again many, including me, think is not worthy of anything more than an impact sub role.

You say only Dele was a proper first team choice but Iriekpen and John were brought in as immediate first 16 players due to lack of numbers/injuries and Styvar, we were led to believe, was definitely thought of as first team material.

We know that 4 new signings would not all be immediate first choice, GJ doesn't work like that, and often a new level of fitness needs to be acquired by new signings which can take a considerable time.

We do need 4 new first teamers but we also need numbers to compete in this division and with all the outgoings, and the number of youngsters, a total of 4 new signings would be too few on my opinion.

Unless of course I am wrong and GJ genuinely sees a role for several of the youngsters to step in straight away if there are injuries/suspensions which in many ways would be my preferred option.

Blige Nogbad, I hadn't realised we were in such dire straits. I am applying dubbin to my Adidas Santigo's (vintage 1973) as we speak , as it looks like I might have to come out of retirement and to the club's rescue if we are to survive next season - it's Ok as I am not an academy graduate so Gary will be happy to select me, if required.

Ignore what Colin S said, and GJ's summer update, because the real news about or transfer activity will not be o here as it is being leaked by top officials to football rumours website. Last season Gary realised that even keeping things close to his chest wasn't sufficient, as with Metab and Mifsud he couldn't rely on agents and other clubs to keep shtum. This is a clever tactic, because Gary realises that even if word of a pending transfer leaks out, if it has already been on football rumours no one will believe a word of it - Gary Johnson, the master of phsycology!

Blige Nogbad, I hadn't realised we were in such dire straits. I am applying dubbin to my Adidas Santigo's (vintage 1973) as we speak , as it looks like I might have to come out of retirement and to the club's rescue if we are to survive next season - it's Ok as I am not an academy graduate so Gary will be happy to select me, if required.

Ah, I read that as BILGE at first Downend and my hackles were on the point of being raised, either way you put me in mind of Captain Pugwash, albeit on one of his more lucid days. :)

Ah, I read that as BILGE at first Downend and my hackles were on the point of being raised, either way you put me in mind of Captain Pugwash, albeit on one of his more lucid days. :)

Can't say I remember Pugwash having too many lucid days - but it was a very long time ago!

Chicken and egg I suppose, but many on here have quite rightly argued for a greater role for our 2 most promising academy prospects, Ribeiro and J.Wilson.

Including them I see the current number of potential first teamers we have as 20;

Basso

Henderson

Orr

Carey

Fontaine

McAllister

McCombe

J.Wilson

B.Wilson

Ribeiro

Sproule

Williams

Johnson

Elliott

McIndoe

Skuse

Artus (at 20 he can't be considered to be a promising youngster for much longer)

Maynard

Trundle

Akinde

Yes, some of those above may still leave yet, but if they did then they'd simply need replacing, apart from up front where Styvar and Dele have gone, (John was effectively a sixth striker as he was with us whilst Trundle and then Akinde were out on loan) if we added 4 players in the positions I previously mentioned, (left back, right wing, 2 strikers) that doesn't look too thin to me.....

Thought people would know by now, our manager doesnt rush into signing new players. They need to be the right player for the team

And before people shout Carle, Styvar etc at me Carle was a good player for us and, as pointed out many times, sold for a decent profit (without which I doubt we could of srumped up 2.25mill for Maynard.)

No need to worry yet, I'm sure we'll have at least 2 new players by the time the first friendly rocks up. On that note, when did Gav Williams sign for us last summer?

Alternatively, it could just be another forum member who thought it was a very good idea...

To be fair though, if some of this comes about i'll shut the **** up about Yessir and join the fan club!

Bully, I posted with my tongue very firmly in cheek!

Archived