IGNORED

Best Ever City Goal?

Southport Red

What was the best goal you have seen City score? Doesn't have to have been live (you could have seen it on TV/YouTube).

I'm not talking about the most IMPORTANT goal, or the most SIGNIFICANT, just the BEST goal, in your opinion.

For me, 2nd place would have been Cash the Cat (how often do Goalie's score? Is that on YouTube, does anyone know?) but my undisputed number 1 would be the Ernie Hunt Free-Kick (I remember seeing Ernie Hunt's photo in the EP doing Ballet one pre-season - who says the 70's were dull?)

Over to you - Best Ever City goal was...

louie donawa hitting the winner against the gas.the atmosphere when that went in was superb.

can't remember the year though?

May get proved completely wrong with this, but I'm certain it was 5th March 1991. Not googled it, but I promised myself I'd never forget that date.........!

Cracking goal, and definately my fav. The fact it was a last minute winner against the G*s just made it even better!

Trundles goal against Palarce...had it all...pressure, cool head, great technique and execution....and of course the occasion.

...to bring the ball down on the edge of the area like that, flick it across the defender and then lash it top corner in such a massive game...easily the best city goal ever for me.

Ray cashley on 18 September 1973, with a long clearance from his own penalty area against Hull City

he kicked one goal mouth to the other and the ball went in for a goal, beats any 30/40 yarder, maybe

not technically brilliant but for distance it deserves a shout.

Guest Pepsi
May get proved completely wrong with this, but I'm certain it was 5th March 1991. Not googled it, but I promised myself I'd never forget that date.........!

Cracking goal, and definately my fav. The fact it was a last minute winner against the G*s just made it even better!

I can remember the terrible feeling, and just looking around the ground thinking how much it meant....Holloway just missed a penalty if i remember rightly but I cannot remember the goal.....

Remember a few days later speaking to a Celtic fan in the Raymend down Bemmy, and he was saying that the atmosphere and the whole day he had building up to the game easily compared to any rangers-celtic fixture...........

I can remember the terrible feeling, and just looking around the ground thinking how much it meant....Holloway just missed a penalty if i remember rightly but I cannot remember the goal.....

Remember a few days later speaking to a Celtic fan in the Raymend down Bemmy, and he was saying that the atmosphere and the whole day he had building up to the game easily compared to any rangers-celtic fixture...........

It's one of those moments you live for, wish for - a last minute winner against the local rivals!

I did actually take a moment from leaping around the East End like a mad man to check out you lot down the other end - can still picture it now! Can see Louie and Super Bob peeling off to celebrate in front of the Dolman!

Unfortunately I can still remember the feeling when Beadle got that late on at the Gate a few years later.........!

My favourite was Lee Matthews away at Reading in (I think) 2001/02. City had already come back from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 and put the seal on the result with a lovely flowing move of one-touch passing involving (if memory serves) Tinnion, Clist, Murray, Clist again, a through ball to Peacock in the box and then a back-heel to set up Matthews. Not the toughest finish but the football leading up to it simply destroyed one of the best teams in the league.

Indeed it did mean a lot.............brought the end to a few years of Gas dominence....

You are right about the pen...Skletor missed it I think?

I remember the mad atmos outside after the game......even the busses on the flyover were beeping their horns in celebration..........I even saw a couple of coppers celebrating with the supporters on their way home!

2 old'uns and one new, and I can't decide

1. Cashley...utterly memorable; it was so funny, the weather was so terrible, and I can still see him arms aloft in triumph

2. Keith Fear lobbing the goalie to go 4-1 up (I think) at Eastville at Christmas 74. What a happy trip back over the right side of town that was!

3. Louis finishing off the free kick manoeuvre at Palace...had them all ends up. :closedeyes:

I remember many years back, around 1993 I think it was - we were playing Wolves and I cant remember the score but I remember a goal....

It was Jaki, and the ball dropped to him about 30 yards out and he unleashed the sweetest volley Ive ever seen into the top corner and I remember his celebration was running to the city bench with his arms open wide and being mobbed by the bench and all of the players on the pitch.

Part of the reason I remember it so well is because of Phil Tottles commentary of it - how he didnt have a heart attack after that match I will never know!

Part of the reason I remember it so well is because of Phil Tottles commentary of it - how he didnt have a heart attack after that match I will never know!

Phil Tottle - now that does seem a long time ago.

I used to enjoy his commentaries, even if many didn't.

Archived