IGNORED

Best Ever City Goal?

Southport Red

I remember many years back, around 1993 I think it was - we were playing Wolves and I cant remember the score but I remember a goal....

It was Jaki, and the ball dropped to him about 30 yards out and he unleashed the sweetest volley Ive ever seen into the top corner and I remember his celebration was running to the city bench with his arms open wide and being mobbed by the bench and all of the players on the pitch.

Part of the reason I remember it so well is because of Phil Tottles commentary of it - how he didnt have a heart attack after that match I will never know!

Lost my car keys in the East End to that one.

What a moment!

scott murrays against cardiff, just because of the celebration, takes balls to piss off a taff.

also maynards equaliser against wolves, adebola shrugging off the defender and plays it across to maynard who cooly takes a touch around the defender and slots it in. Always remember that game, the atyeo roof literally moving.

Jimmy Mann, without a doubt, but closely followed by Tony Thorpe's header following Aaron Brown's 80 yard run and cross against the Gas in front of the Sky cameras on 22 December 2000.

Also Dave Smith latching on to Mark Gavin's through ball, outsprinting the defence and hurdling the oncoming goalkeeper against ?Bury in promotion season 1989/90.

Bob Taylor v Crewe..take that you lads from Crewe were the words from Mr.Malone I believe :laugh:.

Paul Mardon's goal away at Forest in the semi final lives in the memory thou, that was a great away day!! Loads of inflateable banana's in the crowd celebrating

Not sure if it was that game, but Bob Taylor scored a hat trick at the Gate, and one of the goals, at the East End, was an absolute screamer from about 35 yards. If memory serves me rightly, and it probably doesn't, he then went off with an injury which ended his season.

Murray against Middlesborough. Sweetly placed lob.

Sorry but I have to disagree - while it was a nice goal, there was more of an element of fluke to it rather than it being a skillfully stunning goal.

My top 3 is....

1) Jaki vs Wolves in around 1993 (as mentioned up this thread)

2) Noble vs Palace in the play off semis

3) Roberts vs Mansfield in the epic 4-5 win several years back

Bob Taylor's second goal in his hat-trick in our 5-1 away win at Swansea on a Tuesday night in the 1990 promotion season. A minute earlier Super Bob had put us 1 up with a diving header and we hadn't even stopped jumping up and down when he scored the second with an amazing volley from 30 yards. He went on to complete his hat-trick in front of the City fans in the second half. Think it was Terry Yoraths first game back in charge of Swansea that night.

What was the best goal you have seen City score? Doesn't have to have been live (you could have seen it on TV/YouTube).

I'm not talking about the most IMPORTANT goal, or the most SIGNIFICANT, just the BEST goal, in your opinion.

For me, 2nd place would have been Cash the Cat (how often do Goalie's score? Is that on YouTube, does anyone know?) but my undisputed number 1 would be the Ernie Hunt Free-Kick (I remember seeing Ernie Hunt's photo in the EP doing Ballet one pre-season - who says the 70's were dull?)

Over to you - Best Ever City goal was...

Jimmy Mann 40 yards+ against Forest. Shilton plucking at thin air.

What was the best goal you have seen City score? Doesn't have to have been live (you could have seen it on TV/YouTube).

I'm not talking about the most IMPORTANT goal, or the most SIGNIFICANT, just the BEST goal, in your opinion.

For me, 2nd place would have been Cash the Cat (how often do Goalie's score? Is that on YouTube, does anyone know?) but my undisputed number 1 would be the Ernie Hunt Free-Kick (I remember seeing Ernie Hunt's photo in the EP doing Ballet one pre-season - who says the 70's were dull?)

Over to you - Best Ever City goal was...

Steve Neville against Hereford in the Freight Rover Trophy area final (h) -86.

Class act.

Steve Neville against Hereford in the Freight Rover Trophy area final (h) -86.

Class act.

Can you please describe - i can't remember it or which part of the ground i watched the game from. I remember going to Hereford to see us lose - i'm sure it was first leg.

Just thought of another, the equaliser against Coventry to keep us in the first division in 78.

I think it was Gerry Gow who scored, but my memory is going a bit now. what a day.

Tommy Hutchison scored two for Coventry. We got one back through Gerry Gow but the equaliser was from Donnie Gillies. Like you say, what a day - but what an even better night!

Ralph Milne. Cant remember who we were playing, but it was an evening game and he scored a beauty in front of The East End. As the ball came to him the world expected him to Volley the ball as hard as he could, but with a last second change of positioning of feet, Ralphie sidefooted it in mid air from around 15 yards. There was no sudden roar, just a gobsmacked silence for a second before celebrations began.

Jimmy Mann's howitzer against Forest was also good,and folk seemed to have forgotten John Baileys wonderous effort at Gresty Road from the half way line

Ralph Milne. Cant remember who we were playing, but it was an evening game and he scored a beauty in front of The East End. As the ball came to him the world expected him to Volley the ball as hard as he could, but with a last second change of positioning of feet, Ralphie sidefooted it in mid air from around 15 yards. There was no sudden roar, just a gobsmacked silence for a second before celebrations began.

Jimmy Mann's howitzer against Forest was also good,and folk seemed to have forgotten John Baileys wonderous effort at Gresty Road from the half way line

Ralph's goal was against Bury. Gobsmacked silence was right - as I recall Walshy hit a long cross and he took it on the full without letting it bounce. Rather than yell "Yes!" or "Goal!", I think my reaction was "###### me!!!!!"

Anyone recall God Taylor's overhead kick against Birmingham, would have been the 89-90 promotion season? Another stunned silence, in a kind of "I don't f*cking believe he just scored a goal of such unutterable majesty". As I remeber, the Bountyhunter did a cartoon about Maradona wanting to join City, but being put on the bench because of Taylor's amazingness, with a picture of him scoring the goal blindfolded...what a man.

Lee Peacock's goal against Peterborough shortly after he signed was a good one. Their back 4 was pushed up towards the halfway line when Tinnion intercepted a pass and played it first time into Peacock's path, leaving him on his own halfway inside their half. Rather than run with it (which would have been an effort) he simply launched a thunderous drive from way out that flew into the top corner.

Guest RobbieTurner
Lee Peacock's goal against Peterborough shortly after he signed was a good one. Their back 4 was pushed up towards the halfway line when Tinnion intercepted a pass and played it first time into Peacock's path, leaving him on his own halfway inside their half. Rather than run with it (which would have been an effort) he simply launched a thunderous drive from way out that flew into the top corner.

For no other reason than it was against the Gash at Eastville....Martyn Hurst's goal in the FA cup - they were in the old Div 3 and we were periously close to the wrong end of Div4...we went 1-0 down to Archie Stephens goal and i thought that was that, but i think it was Tom Ritchie who equalised before an equisite Terry Cooper ball fed in Hurst to send the red side of Bristol into absolute ecstasy....!! if anyone can put a copy of that goal on youtube, i'd be eternally grateful !!!!

Ralph's goal was against Bury. Gobsmacked silence was right - as I recall Walshy hit a long cross and he took it on the full without letting it bounce. Rather than yell "Yes!" or "Goal!", I think my reaction was "###### me!!!!!"

Anyone recall God Taylor's overhead kick against Birmingham, would have been the 89-90 promotion season? Another stunned silence, in a kind of "I don't f*cking believe he just scored a goal of such unutterable majesty". As I remeber, the Bountyhunter did a cartoon about Maradona wanting to join City, but being put on the bench because of Taylor's amazingness, with a picture of him scoring the goal blindfolded...what a man.

Milne's was unbelievable - there was a kind of stunned silence around the Gate after that.

Super Bob, what a season he had, he scored about half a dozen strikes that had to be seen to be believed!!

Milne's was unbelievable - there was a kind of stunned silence around the Gate after that.

Super Bob, what a season he had, he scored about half a dozen strikes that had to be seen to be believed!!

Another Milne classic, was away at York, to get us intothe play-offs 87- '88, He'd had a complete shocker all game, until he lobbed the keeper in the last minute, there was a stunned silence before we went wild!

Jimmy Mann was my favourite player growing up, so I'd have to go with his 40 yarder when he beat Shilton against Forest. Funny the things you remember, I reckon out of 30 odd years watching football with my dad, he had to miss that game, lucky I was there!

Archived