IGNORED

Rovers Have Been Invited

cidercity

http://www.brfcforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=84706

By the council to a meeting about the world cup bid.

They want the Blue Fews opinion on it.......

Thats it then no World cup in Bristol.

They have also invited Bristol Rugby's supporters trust along, so to me the Council are just canvassing all sporting parties so that they can be seen to have covered all avenues when the inevitable opposition comes in from some of our blue friends.

In all fairness, and i'm not one to usually say anything positive whatsoever about those lot, the more rational members of their support are actually all for a new stadium for BCFC and can see the benefits it can bring to their own club should the City of Bristol host the World Cup. So we shouldn't assume that their support will give it a resounding thumbs down, but seeing as GIFT (Gas Independant (sic) Fans Trust) will be acting on a majority vote from their support when speaking to the council, i would be shocked and surprised if more than 50% of their support would be all for a new stadium for BCFC.

It is vital that Rovers (and indeed the rugby lot as well) are present at the meeting because they will have to provide training facilities as well as us if there are to be world cup games here.

Yes i understand that they need to speak to the club about training faciities, but why are they asking their fans to comment.

Surely this is a club issue nothing to do with the gas trust or supporters club.

Yes i understand that they need to speak to the club about training faciities, but why are they asking their fans to comment.

Surely this is a club issue nothing to do with the gas trust or supporters club.

Because its the fans organisations that can help galvanize support for this, they can ask members to write letters of support etc.

The club can do the official (boring) sorting out of stuff, but its the fans ultimately who can help bring world cup football to Bristol, a few voices from the board room are a hell of a lot quieter than thousands of fans all pulling for the same thing.

It's a big part of all the potential host cities' bids that citizens can show that they really want the World Cup to come to them. In our neck of the woods we're up against Portsmouth and Milton Keynes, both of which are one team towns, so a potential weakness in our bid may be the risk of a larger percentage of townsfolk being against the bid. I'm not sure how we demonstrate this commitment and I guess that's what we'll find out at the meeting.

Because its the fans organisations that can help galvanize support for this, they can ask members to write letters of support etc.

The club can do the official (boring) sorting out of stuff, but its the fans ultimately who can help bring world cup football to Bristol, a few voices from the board room are a hell of a lot quieter than thousands of fans all pulling for the same thing.

OK thats fair enough, just seen so much negativity from the gas that i don't expect them to be to accommodating.

I just don't see why they all seem to think the World Cup bid is an evil masterplan by SL to get us a new stadium. It's not like we're going to be given the stadium for free, SL and the sale of AG will be funding it.

They seem to have a real complex that the world is against them, and that the council will give us preferential treatment - when in fact they've had planning permission for their ground for ages, it's just the funding that they're lacking :gasmask:

I would be amazed and disappointed if Rovers fans went against this bid.

To be honest, great though it is for our club, this is really a Bristol/England project. Yes the fans may sit for 90 minutes a game in City's ground - but most of their time will be in BRISTOL's restaurants and hotels, buying good and services from BRISTOL's businesses and generally visiting the city of BRISTOL.

From previous world cups I can often remember the city in which games were held but rarely know, care or remember the host club. Great for us though it may be the benefits for Bristol are ten fold and the World Cup would provide a fantastic opportunity for Bristol businesses, people and kids - these benefits would be felt well beyond the gates of Ashton Vale.

I would be amazed and disappointed if Rovers fans went against this bid.

To be honest, great though it is for our club, this is really a Bristol/England project. Yes the fans may sit for 90 minutes a game in City's ground - but most of their time will be in BRISTOL's restaurants and hotels, buying good and services from BRISTOL's businesses and generally visiting the city of BRISTOL.

From previous world cups I can often remember the city in which games were held but rarely know, care or remember the host club. Great for us though it may be the benefits for Bristol are ten fold and the World Cup would provide a fantastic opportunity for Bristol businesses, people and kids - these benefits would be felt well beyond the gates of Ashton Vale.

Why are the benefits ten fold?

How much will it cost Bristol and our club to put on v revenue generated?

Guest Pepsi

Because supposedly this is about "Bristol" and not just Bristol City.........

Your response says it all.

Are you for or against Pepsi, what is the feeling with the G*s - or will this turn into a 'we don't want City getting a new stadium' arguement?

Once in a lifetime chance to bring the WC to Bristol.

And, bear in mind, most of us will be lucky to get tickets anyway - so you won't actually have to sit in the darned thing to see the game!!

Guest Pepsi
Are you for or against Pepsi, what is the feeling with the G*s - or will this turn into a 'we don't want City getting a new stadium' arguement?

Once in a lifetime chance to bring the WC to Bristol.

And, bear in mind, most of us will be lucky to get tickets anyway - so you won't actually have to sit in the darned thing to see the game!!

I think personally that the majority know C*ty will get their ground anyway and would prefer to have the world cup in bristol so are 'FOR' and not against the World cup.....

Myself at first was completley against it but now maybe I'm changing my mind a little......

But on the other hand i read things like ###### the gas and all that s*it.... Its the same mentality from some rovers fans who don't want you to get it.......

Hope that made some snse i just had a few lush pints of Ashton Press........

I think personally that the majority know C*ty will get their ground anyway and would prefer to have the world cup in bristol so are 'FOR' and not against the World cup.....

Myself at first was completley against it but now maybe I'm changing my mind a little......

But on the other hand i read things like ###### the gas and all that s*it.... Its the same mentality from some rovers fans who don't want you to get it.......

Makes sense mate, and good work on the Ashton Press, tidy little pint that!

Read the post again sag, i wasn't saying it didn't have anything to do with Rovers, i was saying why do your negative fans have to be involved....

Says it all really.

Guest churchill gaffer
the gash seem to be forgetting that they were given planning permission to try and improve the minimal well over a year ago and because there board wont part with there cash it seems to be everybody eles fault but there own

WELL SAID!!!!!

Guest churchill gaffer

My god I can't believe what you say!

All the nasty vulger comments you make on your site about the mighty City!

Don't make out you have a soft touch for us! :disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se::disapointed2se:

Guest MaloneFM

Well we don't want those in our gang do we Dipsy? Closed minds are a bad thing.

Are you in Castle Dipsy enjoying the ale or in some filthy hostelry brim full of highwaymen and rough sailor types?

Guest Pepsi
Well we don't want those in our gang do we Dipsy? Closed minds are a bad thing.

Are you in Castle Dipsy enjoying the ale or in some filthy hostelry brim full of highwaymen and rough sailor types?

I was in some filthy hostelry now I'm in castle Dipsy enjoying a few more thankyou very much for asking...

I might even do a few press ups in a minute.. I'm feeling confident rog.... i think 11 is possible

Why are the benefits ten fold?

How much will it cost Bristol and our club to put on v revenue generated?

Because I'd imagine each fan visiting would spend more than 10x their ticket price on non-football related items. If a fan turned up and spent £30 on a ticket they'd probably be spending £300 on hotels, transport, food, drink, consumer goods etc etc.

I'm no expert and couldn't give you a large costing of it all but I know Germany benefitted from 2006, the English govt clearly believe it would be an economic benefit and so does Bristol City Council. I also seem to remember a report by Deloitte (I think) a few years back who ranted about how much the rugby world cups make host nations.

Now I don't know the costs of hosting but I'm going to make some really crude and conservative estimations of how much money may be spent per game by fans if we had a 42,000 sell-out game. I'll ignore ticket prices although I believe we'd also get a cut of that?

One game = 42,000 fans.

Say half came from outside the region for the game, whether fans of the teams or footy fans from surrounding areas that's 21,000 fans.

21,000 fans staying in the area for a night at £50 = £1.05m

21,000 fans buying food and drink for only 1 day = £630k

the other 21,000 fans would clearly be spending money in Bristol they wouldn't necessarily be otherwise - so that could easily be another £210k

21,000 fans using cabs, trains and buses maybe tenner a day = £210k

We're already on £2.1m for ONE game and that's before you consider team bases, corporate hospitality, sponsorship, fan parks etc etc. Now don't bother picking apart those figures because they are just so crude and estimated - but they're just to give some idea of potential benefits. And then there are those that would be far harder to measure:

- Putting Bristol "on the map" to the largest worldwide audience you could possibly imagine (companies, tourists etc. from all over the world who have never heard of Bristol, seen a photo or considered it a destination before...)

- Bringing a sense of pride to our city and its residents (I for one think communities who feel proud of their home show it more respect)

- A massive opportunity to engage kids of Bristol and the local area in football - a generation could grow up with the excitement of football and this could benefit City and Rovers in terms of fans and future stars even!

- A fantastic occasion and chance for all Bristolians to see and feel world cup football...not just on the telly. Once in a lifetime opportunity

I would imagine the world cup would benefit hotels, restaurants, pubs, shops, clubs, museums, taxi firms, takeaways, the airport, car hire firms etc etc etc. Money spent means more jobs, more jobs means more money spent etc etc.

A fantastic opportunity for Bristol City but also for the city both economically and socially.

Because I'd imagine each fan visiting would spend more than 10x their ticket price on non-football related items. If a fan turned up and spent £30 on a ticket they'd probably be spending £300 on hotels, transport, food, drink, consumer goods etc etc.

I'm no expert and couldn't give you a large costing of it all but I know Germany benefitted from 2006, the English govt clearly believe it would be an economic benefit and so does Bristol City Council. I also seem to remember a report by Deloitte (I think) a few years back who ranted about how much the rugby world cups make host nations.

Now I don't know the costs of hosting but I'm going to make some really crude and conservative estimations of how much money may be spent per game by fans if we had a 42,000 sell-out game. I'll ignore ticket prices although I believe we'd also get a cut of that?

One game = 42,000 fans.

Say half came from outside the region for the game, whether fans of the teams or footy fans from surrounding areas that's 21,000 fans.

21,000 fans staying in the area for a night at £50 = £1.05m

21,000 fans buying food and drink for only 1 day = £630k

the other 21,000 fans would clearly be spending money in Bristol they wouldn't necessarily be otherwise - so that could easily be another £210k

21,000 fans using cabs, trains and buses maybe tenner a day = £210k

We're already on £2.1m for ONE game and that's before you consider team bases, corporate hospitality, sponsorship, fan parks etc etc. Now don't bother picking apart those figures because they are just so crude and estimated - but they're just to give some idea of potential benefits. And then there are those that would be far harder to measure:

- Putting Bristol "on the map" to the largest worldwide audience you could possibly imagine (companies, tourists etc. from all over the world who have never heard of Bristol, seen a photo or considered it a destination before...)

- Bringing a sense of pride to our city and its residents (I for one think communities who feel proud of their home show it more respect)

- A massive opportunity to engage kids of Bristol and the local area in football - a generation could grow up with the excitement of football and this could benefit City and Rovers in terms of fans and future stars even!

- A fantastic occasion and chance for all Bristolians to see and feel world cup football...not just on the telly. Once in a lifetime opportunity

I would imagine the world cup would benefit hotels, restaurants, pubs, shops, clubs, museums, taxi firms, takeaways, the airport, car hire firms etc etc etc. Money spent means more jobs, more jobs means more money spent etc etc.

A fantastic opportunity for Bristol City but also for the city both economically and socially.

Intersting but the club are quoting figures of up to a hundred million pounds. Is this just a notional figure or based on host cities in Germany?

Archived