IGNORED

Carney/mcindoe Swap Deal

Brislingwood Red

According to Blades fans on the teamtalk forum, it sounds as though Macca could be on his way with David Carney coming to the gate. Could all be rumours and I hope it is as the SU fans seem to feel they've got a very good deal. . .

Anyone ever heard of Carney?

Heard of him ? - Just slightly.

19 caps for Australia and , on the contrary, a bloody good deal for us ,I would have thought.

He actually made his debut with Sheffiekd United against CITY back in 2007. I'll let others elaborate.

(And besides everything else ,a nominal Australian is needed in the CITY line-up, now that Stambolziev appears to have scarpered ).

I agree why have 3 left backs

McAllister has needed some competition for his place to shake him out of the comfort for two seasons and having two players waiting in the wings to fill his place will do that.

That said Blackman is only 18 and Johnson doesn't have much of a record for introducing youngsters to the first team.

According to Blades fans on the teamtalk forum, it sounds as though Macca could be on his way with David Carney coming to the gate. Could all be rumours and I hope it is as the SU fans seem to feel they've got a very good deal. . .

Anyone ever heard of Carney?

I would be stunned if we signed another left back, what are we going to do with 3 of them.

• SC&T Board Members
McAllister has needed some competition for his place to shake him out of the comfort for two seasons and having two players waiting in the wings to fill his place will do that.

That said Blackman is only 18 and Johnson doesn't have much of a record for introducing youngsters to the first team.

Liam Fontaine, 2004 - 15 games for Yeovil aged 18.

Liam Fontaine, 2004 - 15 games for Yeovil aged 18.

Can't recall what division Yeovil were in during 2004, but it certainly wasn't the CCC - daft for a relatively poor club to get someone in on loan from a Prem club unless you were going to play them.

GJ showed what he thought of our younger players at the end of last season when we were safe and had nothing to play for.

I am downunder until late August and can tell you the following about Carney.

In the recent match against Japan, one of the TV commentators said that Sheffield U's were in the process of getting Carney off their books, so he would be looking at options in Australia.

Since Carney has played as an International for Australia I have heard nothing but derision from Aussie fans. Playing down the left flank as an attacking midfielder he is indeed short of class. Make no mistake the Aussies have made the World cup finals with the likes of McDonald, Cahill, Kewell [ now fit ] upfront and Wilkshire doing a great job as a right wingback and dead ball man. Carney is just not in the same class as any of the above players, and the fans I have watched him with, tend to groan when he gets the ball. Not unlike many City fans do with certain players.

Carney loses possession far too much to be considered for the Championship league. Secondly he runs out of ideas and goes backwards rather than crossing the ball. Thirdly, he is a little soft, and tends to panic against a physical defence.

Please NO, and if you read this Maggie, please tell Steve before its too late.

In the recent match against Japan, one of the TV commentators said that Sheffield U's were in the process of getting Carney off their books, so he would be looking at options in Australia.

Since Carney has played as an International for Australia I have heard nothing but derision from Aussie fans. Playing down the left flank as an attacking midfielder he is indeed short of class. Make no mistake the Aussies have made the World cup finals with the likes of McDonald, Cahill, Kewell [ now fit ] upfront and Wilkshire doing a great job as a right wingback and dead ball man. Carney is just not in the same class as any of the above players, and the fans I have watched him with, tend to groan when he gets the ball. Not unlike many City fans do with certain players.

Carney loses possession far too much to be considered for the Championship league. Secondly he runs out of ideas and goes backwards rather than crossing the ball. Thirdly, he is a little soft, and tends to panic against a physical defence.

Cheers Bransonmo - looking forward to him signing, if he does, even less know!

That means its a done deal then :bounce:

You are a relative new-comer to our part of the world and evidently have not got the full picture.

In some quarters, Carney is very highly thought-of. Back in season 2007- 2008 The magazaine FOUR FOUR TWO rated him the Socceroo "Player-of-the-year" :-higher than Tim Cahill and all the rest.

Personally , while I would not rate him quite that highly, I still think he would be an excellent signing.

By the way ,lest it be thought that my Australian bias clouds my judgement, let it be declared now that I would be quite happy for CITY to field a team of Mongolian Midgets- as long as they could win games for us !

You are a relative new-comer to our part of the world and evidently have not got the full picture.

In some quarters, Carney is very highly thought-of. Back in season 2007- 2008 The magazaine FOUR FOUR TWO rated him the Socceroo "Player-of-the-year" :-higher than Tim Cahill and all the rest.

Personally , while I would not rate him quite that highly, I still think he would be an excellent signing.

By the way ,lest it be thought that my Australian bias clouds my judgement, let it be declared now that I would be quite happy for CITY to field a team of Mongolian Midgets- as long as they could win games for us !

Why call me a relative newcomer. I played at the same level as Carle in the late 60's for Wests and Canterbury, served in the Australian Army in Vietnam and have a business and family in Australia, ditto the USA and England.

I am glad you don't rate Carney highly, we agree on that. Indeed I say again IMO I would not be in favour of signing Carney. He has some basic skills, but as mentioned to me yesterday by an old Sydney A grader, " he's a pussy ".

Why call me a relative newcomer. I played at the same level as Carle in the late 60's for Wests and Canterbury, served in the Australian Army in Vietnam and have a business and family in Australia, ditto the USA and England.

I am glad you don't rate Carney highly, we agree on that. Indeed I say again IMO I would not be in favour of signing Carney. He has some basic skills, but as mentioned to me yesterday by an old Sydney A grader, " he's a pussy ".

I do beg your pardon, Digger.

I misunderstood completely; nevertheless ,he did get that rating from FourFourTwo which goes to prove that there is a school of thought which think he's more than O.K.

And some Sydney fans thought him brilliant !.

Archived