IGNORED

Well Done Gj

garlicbread

Yowser!!!

Must say, very impressed with the signings...and my fears about GJ for this transfer market were unfounded. Seeing how we finished 4th and 10th with players from L1, it is looking good for the future with Johnson unearthing deals for players who have done it at CCC level and can be developed here.

Not sure if he will go for 442, but if he does I would love to see something like this come start of the season...

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine Blackman(if fit)

Haynes Elliot Hartley© Mcindoe/other

Clarkson Maynard

I think it looks very good for next season, especially as we have some depth and competition in most/all areas...would be nice to perhaps get a big man up front though...

This team is far better than what we had last year...and we finished 10th!!!

Thoughts??

Yowser!!!

Must say, very impressed with the signings...and my fears about GJ for this transfer market were unfounded. Seeing how we finished 4th and 10th with players from L1, it is looking good for the future with Johnson unearthing deals for players who have done it at CCC level and can be developed here.

Not sure if he will go for 442, but if he does I would love to see something like this come start of the season...

Basso

Clarkson Maynard

I think it looks very good for next season, especially as we have some depth and competition in most/all areas...would be nice to perhaps get a big man up front though...

Thoughts??

Can't really comment whether or not GJ has improved the squad. Won't really know until we've seen the players play at least a dozen games. Also bearing in mind in takes some players longer than others to settle into a formation/pattern of play etc..

One thing I will say, is that the squad did need shaking up after last season, and GJ has certainly done that. Time will tell if the players are capable though, so let's not build them up too much just yet.

Let's also hope that this squad is a lot more attacking that the past few seasons.

Yowser!!!

Basso

Clarkson Maynard

Thoughts??

It looks like you have left the main man out !!

Can't really comment whether or not GJ has improved the squad. Won't really know until we've seen the players play at least a dozen games. Also bearing in mind in takes some players longer than others to settle into a formation/pattern of play etc..

One thing I will say, is that the squad did need shaking up after last season, and GJ has certainly done that. Time will tell if the players are capable though, so let's not build them up too much just yet.

Let's also hope that this squad is a lot more attacking that the past few seasons.

Sure, but on paper it look much stronger...especially as players from the L1 days are being replaced ith better players

I reckon it will be

Basso

Orr/Ribs (would prefer Ribs) Carey Fonts Blackman/Nyatanga

Elliott Hartley LJ/Skuse/Mcindoe

Haynes Maynard Clarkson

Subs

Gerken

Nyatanga/Blackman

LJ/Skuse/Mcindoe

Orr/Ribs

Akinde/Trundle

Sproule

Mcallister

Exciting times. Good luck keeping the squad happy though! Glad it aint me!

Sure, but on paper it look much stronger...especially as players from the L1 days are being replaced ith better players

Thats my point, how do you know they are being replaced with better players?

Louis Carey was a league one player and yet he's our rock. Basso was a conference player, but look at him now.

I'm just suggesting we don't get over excited without seeing what they can do first of all.

However, it is exciting having so many new faces ready to moan cheer at. :winner_third_h4h:

I think the main difference this year will be we will have a bench filled with players who are genuinely Championship quality.

As GJ always say subs have to be able to affect a game when they come on. Whoever doesn't start is going to offer a great option from the bench - and we can have 7 of them this year!

Thats my point, how do you know they are being replaced with better players?

Louis Carey was a league one player and yet he's our rock. Basso was a conference player, but look at him now.

I'm just suggesting we don't get over excited without seeing what they can do first of all.

However, it is exciting having so many new faces ready to moan cheer at. :winner_third_h4h:

I wouldnt exactly call Jamie Macallister a rock (in fact, whats the opposite of a rock?)...so to buy a player with 60 odd CCC games under his belt who plays at LB (and in the middle) is improving the squad whichever way you look at it.

Losing Weale for a CCC keeper who has more CCC games under his belt and less injuries is improving the squad.

Buying Haynes who again has CCC experience and pace on the right (where we only had sproule/williams) is improving the squad

Paul Hartley, say no more.

Graduating the likes of Wilson and Ribs, who are clearly going to feature is also improvin the squad.

I could go on...

Your forgetting the trialists?

I'd immagine atleast one of them will start?

I believe it will be 4-3-3

Gerken

Orr - papadapious(sp) - Fonts/Carey - Mcalister

Elliot - Skuse - Ermenko

Clarkson - Akinde - Maynard

I can see most of new signings coming on second half, espically nyantanga..

QUOTE (garlicbread @ Jul 14 2009, 5:27 PM)

Yowser!!!

Basso

Clarkson Maynard

Thoughts??

It looks like you have left the main man out !!

Yes Cole Skuse will feel agrieved.

I like 4-1-3-2.

-------------------------------Basso------------------------------------

------------Orr-------Carey-------Fonts-------Macca--------------------

-------------------------------Skuse----------------------------------

-------------------Hartley-----Johnson-----Elliot--------------------

---------------Haynes/Sproule--------Clarkson/Maynard------------

Gerken

Blackman

Nytanga

Boom

McIndoe

Akindie

**new midfielder**

I think summin like this, can change to 442 or 433 quite easy and we'll have the players for it.

I'm really pleased with our signings, I think we have bought or negotiated realy well this summer,with GJ saying more may be on the way.I think that the signing of Hartley really does show how far this club has come in the last few seasons,because although he was out of contract,you have got to remember he was a regular in the celtic team last season.As for the other signings,they are all young who have played at a decent level and fit into the GJ theory of buying million pound players before they are worth that! Would also say my knowledge of the new players is that they all have pace,which is something I thought we lacked last season.Also i would like to add that I'm really pleased that Mcindoe is staying,along with the new contracts for Elliott,Skuse(again shows how far we have come that these players have commited to city) and Sproule. I think it has been a very productive summer for our great club with still time for more.So i hope in 6 months time people are not moaning about our signings this summer,as hindsight is a wonderful thing!!!

For me it will be:

---------------------------------------Basso------------------------------------------

----Orr-------------Carey---------------------------Fontaine-----------McCalister-

------------------------------------Elliot----------------------------------------------

--------------------------Hartley-------- -Williams/McIndoe-----------------------

------------Haynes---------------Maynard--------------Clarkson------------------

(4-3-3)

I like that Ryan. But maybe swap Elliot for Hartley? Just a thought.

Yes I see your point, I think of Hartley as more an attacking midfield player though, but he does also have a strong defensive side to him as well, so its just how Johnson wants to play him I suppose.

There is little doubt that the squad has been improved over the closed season with most fringe players having been replaced with players with potential to have a much bigger impact:

Murray -> Haynes

Iriekpen -> Nyatanga

Weale -> Gerken

Styvar -> Clarkson

Myrie-Williams -> Blackman

The one player who looks to me to have been signed with a view to having his name already inked into the starting eleven at Preston is Hartley and he replaces the often ignored Noble. This is the only signing so far that makes me believe our strongest eleven this season will be any stronger than our strongest eleven from last.

To counter all of that we have lost two senior strikers in Adebola and John (and may yet lose a third in Trundle). I'd like to see a striker signing or two with the pedigree of Hartley to be sure that we have taken steps forward both in squad depth and quality of our first eleven.

I'm sure we've stitched up the reserve league title with our summer activity. It will take the right striker signings for me to think we will have any chance of doing the same with the Championship title.

Yes I see your point, I think of Hartley as more an attacking midfield player though, but he does also have a strong defensive side to him as well, so its just how Johnson wants to play him I suppose.

Would agree that Hartley will be used as a more attacking/creative midfielder,I'm pretty sure GJ has said something along those lines.Although as you mentioned,he can adapt his game if needed.

There is little doubt that the squad has been improved over the closed season with most fringe players having been replaced with players with potential to have a much bigger impact:

Murray -> Haynes

Iriekpen -> Nyatanga

Weale -> Gerken

Styvar -> Clarkson

Myrie-Williams -> Blackman

The one player who looks to me to have been signed with a view to having his name already inked into the starting eleven at Preston is Hartley and he replaces the often ignored Noble. This is the only signing so far that makes me believe our strongest eleven this season will be any stronger than our strongest eleven from last.

To counter all of that we have lost two senior strikers in Adebola and John (and may yet lose a third in Trundle). I'd like to see a striker signing or two with the pedigree of Hartley to be sure that we have taken steps forward both in squad depth and quality of our first eleven.

I'm sure we've stitched up the reserve league title with our summer activity. It will take the right striker signings for me to think we will have any chance of doing the same with the Championship title.

Ditto, one more (save the big signing till last) to replace Adebola and we will be looking stronger, no idea who this could be though.

The squad looks better thats for sure. The main thing is that we actually have some pace and not just Sproule to rely on. I have a feeling that we will finish mid-table but show signs that a really good side is there- main thing is to hang on to everyone for the next couple of years until we have come of age.

I understand that GJ is looking at playing 4-3-3 but when/if that goes wrong, I think we need to have the players to be able to have a decent 4-4-2. Whether we do or not is questionable but if McIndoe stays that will help.

Can't see many more signings but GJ seems set on replacing Adebola when I'm not sure we need to. Would prefer to see a decent right winger/midfielder come in if Haynes is going to focus on playing upfront.

I wouldnt exactly call Jamie Macallister a rock (in fact, whats the opposite of a rock?)...so to buy a player with 60 odd CCC games under his belt who plays at LB (and in the middle) is improving the squad whichever way you look at it.

Losing Weale for a CCC keeper who has more CCC games under his belt and less injuries is improving the squad.

Buying Haynes who again has CCC experience and pace on the right (where we only had sproule/williams) is improving the squad

Paul Hartley, say no more.

Graduating the likes of Wilson and Ribs, who are clearly going to feature is also improvin the squad.

I could go on...

Likewise I could mention Sten John, Andy Webster and a few others who had CCC games under their belts !

Let's just hold fire until we see what these new players play like. I'm not rubbishing them, just asking that we see what they're like before we get too excited.

Reckon we need a bully up front . I don't want to see the long ball game back again but still think we need someone to battle in the air upfront. Oh I wish we could clone Cheesley. Midfield is looking good just need a genuine target man. Harford Cheesley and royle like.

Another vote for SE here too.

A top notch striker required to add to the spine - one of those 'automatic selections'. With that addition, top six could become a reality,

I totally agree, squad depth and quality is undoubtedly improved now

however we need a experienced senior striker to lead the line for us regardless of whether 442 or 433.

If we land that we will have improved on last season in every respect

Great work so far GJ, lets land erimenko quickly then turn all focus to this last striker!

Archived