IGNORED

What Is City's Best Team?

BounceAroundJosh

As we have brought a few new players there is good competition for places now. Just want all your thoughts on the best team.

Mine would be as follows:

Basso

Orr

Carey

Fontaine

Nyatanga

Elliott

Hartley

Johnson

Haynes

Clarkson

McIndoe

Bench:

Gerken

McCombe

Ribiero

Sproule

Maynard

Skuse

McAllister

without seeing the new players is hard to judge, your team looks like the sort of team that may start the season, but i think Maynard will defnitly be involved.

A similar thread to this saw a lot of people put Blackman in instead of McCalistar, which is just ridiculous because no1 has seen the guy play. You;ve gone for Nytanga which even though at this stage i would disagree with, is more justified.

without seeing the new players is hard to judge, your team looks like the sort of team that may start the season, but i think Maynard will defnitly be involved.

A similar thread to this saw a lot of people put Blackman in instead of McCalistar, which is just ridiculous because no1 has seen the guy play. You;ve gone for Nytanga which even though at this stage i would disagree with, is more justified.

Ye I was tied between Maynard and Clarkson. Could'nt really decide between them. Gone for Clarkson basically because he looks more of a poacher than Maynard. Of what ive seen in pre season, and ive been to every1.

Yes and Blackman no1 has seen him yet so how can they say he sould be in the team? Hopefully we will all get to see him in these matches tomorrow and Wednesday.

Basso

Orr ----- Carey ----- Fontaine ----- McAllister

Hartley ----- Elliott ----- McIndoe

Sproule/Haynes ----- Clarkson ----- Maynard

Subs:

Gerken

J. Wilson

Nyatanga

Skuse

McIndoe

Sproule/Haynes

Plummer/Trundle

Basso

Orr ----- Carey ----- Fontaine ----- McAllister

Hartley ----- Elliott ----- McIndoe

Sproule/Haynes ----- Clarkson ----- Maynard

Subs:

Gerken

J. Wilson

Nyatanga

Skuse

McIndoe

Sproule/Haynes

Plummer/Trundle

I'd have to agree with you there..

Appart from the fact Gavin Williams is not even in the squad, if anything he warrants starting after the end of las seasons form as one of our best players.

EDIT: You havee Mcindoe in the squad twice. typo?

Why does everyone seem to think 4-3-3 is the best way to go?

Would still like to see a new left winger and striker in there rather than McIndoe and Clarkson though.

My team:

........Basso....

Ribeiro.....Carey......Fontaine......Nyatanga

Haynes.....Hartley....Elliott.........McIndoe

.............Maynard.....Clarkson..

Subs:

Gerken

Orr

Johnson

Skuse

Sproule

Williams

Akinde

433 will not work with the strikers we have mainly because playing 433 creates very little width so to compensate for the that whoever plays on the left and right of the attack will drop back into midfield thus leaving our 1 other striker to get marked by the centre backs

if you play 433 you need someone who can hold the ball up which we haven't got yet also our midfield will be over run against quick counter attacks for better balance 442 is a safer bet against the better sides in the league and i would only use the 433 against teams who will stick 10 men behind the ball barnsley, scumthorpe, blackpool etc... or if we need a goal or two for the last 15-20 minutes of a game

Basso

Ribeiro ----- Nyatanga ----- Fontaine ----- McAllister

Haynes ----- Hartley ----- Elliott ----- Mcindoe

Clarkson ----- Maynard

This will be the season where carey fades out, Nyatanga fast comfortable on the ball and a great defender.

Ribeiro will just replace Orr fact.

I wanted to include Johnson as I know he will be in there, but i think Hartley is a great distributor of the ball so fits the bill.

Mcindoe Haynes two out and out strikers!

------------------------Basso----------------------

Ribeiro-----Carey ©----Fontaine-----Nyatanga

---------------Hartley--------Elliott------------------

----------------------Williams------------------------

Haynes-------------Clarkson--------------Maynard

Subs

Gerken

Orr

McCombe

McIndoe

Skuse

Akinde

Sproule

Basso

Orr Carey Fonts Nyatanga

Haynes Hartley Elliott McIndoe

Clarkson Maynard

Subs

Gerken

McCombe

Johnson

Williams

Akinde

Ribs

Sproule

Agree with Naytanga at left back, Mccalister isnt up to the job IMO, he looked very poor at times last season and his distrubition isnt the best as we all know. I think Nayatanga could be the all action full back we have been missing.

It seems lots of people think its the end of the road for Carey which i find a tad strange, yes he is 31 and injury prone but when on song he is still one of the best centre halfs at the club. I don't think we should be looking directly at Nayatanga or anyone else to replace him just yet.

Firstly i would try sell Basso for as much as possible, perhaps a million if we are lucky and buy that quite poor ex-swindon keeper just as a replacement.

I would play a 4-4-2 but then wingers don't have fixed positions and can float about a bit and interchange with the strikers.

GK: Henderson

RB: Orr

CB: Carey

CB: Fontaine

LB: Nyatanga

RW: Haynes

CM: Hartley

CM: Elliott

LM: McIndoe

ST: Maynard

CF: Clarkson

Subs:

Gerkin

Ribiero

McCombe

Johnson

Williams

Akinde

Trundle

Agree with Naytanga at left back, Mccalister isnt up to the job IMO, he looked very poor at times last season and his distrubition isnt the best as we all know. I think Nayatanga could be the all action full back we have been missing.

It seems lots of people think its the end of the road for Carey which i find a tad strange, yes he is 31 and injury prone but when on song he is still one of the best centre halfs at the club. I don't think we should be looking directly at Nayatanga or anyone else to replace him just yet.

There were rumours that the injury he picked up at the end of last season, was one that he may not be able to shake off and could end his career. Let see how he does this season, when he's playing 90 minutes week in week out. Hopefully he'll be okay.

433 will not work with the strikers we have mainly because playing 433 creates very little width so to compensate for the that whoever plays on the left and right of the attack will drop back into midfield thus leaving our 1 other striker to get marked by the centre backs

Errr... what? Maynard hit his best run of form in a 4-3-3 last season, as did Sproule, playing in a similar position to how Haynes could be exploited, not playing right in the middle but using his pace to make late runs into the box and playing just off Clarkson. Clarkson would be cemented in the middle as was Adebola, where he can pick up the ball near goal and unleash a shot, which from first impression sounds like his strength. Playing a 4-3-3 against two centre-backs causes all sorts of problems as to who to mark.

Errr... what? Maynard hit his best run of form in a 4-3-3 last season, as did Sproule, playing in a similar position to how Haynes could be exploited, not playing right in the middle but using his pace to make late runs into the box and playing just off Clarkson. Clarkson would be cemented in the middle as was Adebola, where he can pick up the ball near goal and unleash a shot, which from first impression sounds like his strength. Playing a 4-3-3 against two centre-backs causes all sorts of problems as to who to mark.

read or quote my whole post who did we beat going 433 the weaker teams in the league like i said :disapointed2se:

edit¦ dele played a big part also during that spell but you fail to mention that

Got talking to a few jocks whilst on holiday

mainly celtic and dundee fans

We had just signed Clarkson

They hold me the rumour up there was

we paid £800k for him

and if that was the case we had a bargin

Also said that he was a bit in the peter beardsley mould

Likes to play in the hole between midfield and forward/s

scores his fair share but makes alot of chances for others

If this is the case it will be interesting how GJ plays it

Basso

Orr Carey Fonts Nyatanga

Haynes Elliot Hartley Mccindoe(although preferably a new LM!)

Maynard Clarkson

Subs:

Gerkin

Mccalister

Williams

Johnson

Sproule

Akinde

Trunds

However I believe Johnson will start and GJ seeems quite keen on Sproule atm so 443 is looking likely. I also think Mccalister will start the campaign at LB. Ribiero should challenge Orr and obviously will make the bench a lot!

You must be joking?

Michael McIndoe is a winger, he played as a winger for every club before he joined and he played as one for us during his debut season. There are may long-publicised debates about Gary telling him to cut inside and play more centrally last season, I suggest you do some research...

read or quote my whole post who did we beat going 433 the weaker teams in the league like i said :disapointed2se:

edit¦ dele played a big part also during that spell but you fail to mention that

Yes, but Dele's not here any more. If you are going to mention how good he was with the 4-3-3, then that further backs up my point...

When playing in a 4-3-3, Maynard managed to score against Preston, Crystal Palace and Wolves... Terrible opposition.

Archived