IGNORED

Top 5 Keepers Since You've Been Watching City?

And Its Smith

First of all I think we need to remember who we have had so if people can post extra names that would be great as my memory of stuff like that is rubbish.

I've been watching City since '87 and the keepers I remember are these (only point in naming the first-ish choice ones)

Keith Waugh

Andy Leaning

Ronnie Sinclair

Keith Welch

Stuart Naylor

Sieb Dykstra

Billy Mercer

Steve Phillips

Bo Anderson

Adriano Basso

Bound to be some really obvious ones I have missed!!

Top 5 would be:

1. Dykstra - Best keeper at catching crosses that I've seen at the Gate, dominating and great shot stopper

2. Mercer - Thought was good all round keeper. Few mistakes, shame about the injuries

3. Basso - Would benefit massively from being just 2 inches taller but generally very sound. The odd shocking error though.

4. Waugh - Very young when seeing him play so memory isnt the best but remember him to be quite reliable.

5. Welch - Kept us in a lot of games in the poorer times and wouldnt get nervous when he was involved. Like I did with Phillips for example!

Heard the likes of Gibson was very good but never seen him play.

First of all I think we need to remember who we have had so if people can post extra names that would be great as my memory of stuff like that is rubbish.

I've been watching City since '87 and the keepers I remember are these (only point in naming the first-ish choice ones)

Steve Waugh

Andy Leaning

Ronnie Sinclair

Keith Welch

Stuart Naylor

Sieb Dykstra

Billy Mercer

Steve Phillips

Bo Anderson

Adriano Basso

Top 5 would be:

1. Dykstra - Best keeper at catching crosses that I've seen at the Gate, dominating and great shot stopper

2. Mercer - Thought was good all round keeper. Few mistakes, shame about the injuries

3. Basso - Would benefit massively from being just 2 inches taller but generally very sound. The odd shocking error though.

4. Waugh - Very young when seeing him play so memory isnt the best but remember him to be quite reliable.

5. Welch - Kept us in a lot of games in the poorer times and wouldnt get nervous when he was involved. Like I did with Phillips for example!

his brother mark was good as well. ricky ponting could do with the pair of them now :innocent06:

Keith Waugh

Andy Leaning

Ronnie Sinclair

Keith Welch

Stuart Naylor

Sieb Dykstra

Billy Mercer

Steve Phillips

Bo Anderson

Adriano Basso

Top 5 would be:

Basso

Möller

Shaw

Philips

Sinclair

Mike Gibson, defied logic that he could be so good bearing in mind his height, but what a servant and fine goalkeeper.I still have a newspaper match report from the game against Huddersfield around 64 in which the reporter extolls Gibson's performance and states that Gibson must surely gain international recognition.That was a totally bizarre remark way beyond reality yet showed how truly impressive he was in our provincial world.

Len Bond,on talent he could have figured on the bigger stage so much more.Sadly "luck" was never with him when it mattered, as a young player his career never really took off and seemed to be plagued with injury. Seem to remember he had international youth caps and did indeed have a long career after Ashton Gate.

Ray Cashley, how ridiculous and odd that an outfield player would go down in history as our most succesful keeper of all-time. An essential figure in the rise and rise of the Dick's era. A very solid and brave keeper with outstanding shot stopping reflexes,testimony to his quality is that he played on the same stage with some truly top class British keepers of the day yet never looked out of place.

Jan Moller, sadly the timing was all wrong but the presence and talent was there for all to see. Could never understand why when it was inevitable he would leave other English clubs did not sign this colosus.

Keith Waugh or Andy Leaning? Hard call, Leaning had to battle hard to really claim that jersey but had a mightily impressive year or two under Jordan & Lumsdens reign. Had a goalkeepers stature which certainly heped him crank up the games even after leaving us. Waugh, again a very good servant, could easily have performed regularly at a higher level.

MIKE GIBSON,RAY CASHLEY,JOHN SHAW,KEITH WAUGH,CHRIS WEALE.

Can't argue with the 1st four, but Weale! how many games did he play? More of an Impact on city's history than Ronnie Sinclair, Andy Leaning, Keith welch, Stuart Naylor and of course Basso, I'm surprised you didn't include Billy Mercer as both had equally impressive standings with the Physio.

Top 5 would be:

Hold on, Mercer and Dykstra barely made 30 appearances for City between them?!

Basso and Welch for me.

Guest ashtonyate
Jan Moller was the best keeper we have had in the last 30 years

I agree Moller is I think the best I have seen since I started watching City in the early 50s but although Basso is smaller than Mollor was he is only just behind as best keeper.

I think Basso has been the reason we have had two good season since we got promoted.

Hold on, Mercer and Dykstra barely made 30 appearances for City between them?!

Basso and Welch for me.

Surely it doesn't matter how many appearances they make? Mercer was, for the short time he was fit, an absolutely superb goalkeeper and his injury was a massive blow. He could have been a legend, but was still the best goalkeeper I saw in the few games he played.

A lot of people forget how highly we rated a Mr Phillips whilst he was with us, too. Best keeper in the bottom two divisions was what most of us thought. And he did relegate the Rovers...that has to count for something?

Surely it doesn't matter how many appearances they make? Mercer was, for the short time he was fit, an absolutely superb goalkeeper and his injury was a massive blow. He could have been a legend, but was still the best goalkeeper I saw in the few games he played.

A lot of people forget how highly we rated a Mr Phillips whilst he was with us, too. Best keeper in the bottom two divisions was what most of us thought. And he did relegate the Rovers...that has to count for something?

I'd agree with that, Mercer was pure class, a real shame when he got injured as it was a huge waste of talent.

Could have been a proper legend if he had of stayed injury free.

Welch was also a top keeper.

It does to me, not doubting Mercer was a top keeper but Basso has achieved far more in a City shirt therefore I rate him more highly.

Mercer played 25 times, that doesn't mean a great deal to me.

'Could have been a legend' big deal.

It does to me, not doubting Mercer was a top keeper but Basso has achieved far more in a City shirt therefore I rate him more highly.

Mercer played 25 times, that doesn't mean a great deal to me.

'Could have been a legend' big deal.

:laugh:

Yes, potential 'legend' doesn't mean much, but he was still a quality goalkeeper, and the question wasn't about what was achieved, but how good the keeper was. In those 25 games he played for us, Mercer performed at a very high quality.

You're right, Basso has achieved far more in his time here, and I do rate him equally highly in terms of quality. When it's about what they've achieved, I'll place him higher!

Since mid-90s:

Best goalkeeping performance I've seen was Welch v Sunderland 98/99 (the year we were relegated - Soren Anderson scored a great goal). It was basically Welch on his own vs the whole Sunderland side (including Kevin Philips) for most of the game.

Overall though:

1 - Basso

2 - Philips

3 - Welch

All the other keepers in that time were either very average or didn't play enough for me to remember them properly.

Moller - A long way ahead of the rest

Basso - Brilliant keeper, great character, a major part of our recent success. We will miss him if he goes

Mercer - Great keeper, pity about the injury

Delow that they are much of a muchness, but if I had to pick two-

Phillips - He was a good keeper, and let's not forget the appalling way that Pulis treated him as a youngster

Keith Welch - Brilliant, as long as the shot was from less than 35 yards

The best thing is that we have not really had a disastrous keeper.

Basso

Möller

Shaw

Philips

Sinclair

I'm surprised you don't rate Jan Möller as our best ever goalie. Möller had a successful 16-year career for Malmö during the 1970s and 1980s, even appearing in the 1979 European Cup final against Nottingham Forest FC. Möller was also a Swedish international on 17 occasions. OK, Bristol City FC was on the slide when we signed Jan Möller but some of the saves he pulled off to stop us losing more heavily were simply astonishing and world class.

Archived