IGNORED

Electric Trains

Percy Parrot

I see they're planning to make the London - Bristol - Swansea route electric and by the sounds of it with overhead cables rather than 3rd rail.

Now I understand the reasons - cheaper and more environmental - all good....but I just can't stand those ugly lines everywhere.

You see I don't mind a railtrack cutting through the countryside so much - it's small, no offensive and easily hidden by hedgerows - if you're at ground level you usually can't see them at all.

Overhead cables on the other hand are horrible, tall, big ugly things that to my mind will scar a few hundres miles of English and Welsch countryside. Can't stand the things...and they're a superb way to ruin a good photo.

I really hope they can use third rail.

(BTW just for reference I don't mind wind farms, think they look quite cool. May not be ideal and offshore would be better but I don't really object too much to them).

I see they're planning to make the London - Bristol - Swansea route electric and by the sounds of it with overhead cables rather than 3rd rail.

Now I understand the reasons - cheaper and more environmental - all good....but I just can't stand those ugly lines everywhere.

You see I don't mind a railtrack cutting through the countryside so much - it's small, no offensive and easily hidden by hedgerows - if you're at ground level you usually can't see them at all.

Overhead cables on the other hand are horrible, tall, big ugly things that to my mind will scar a few hundres miles of English and Welsch countryside. Can't stand the things...and they're a superb way to ruin a good photo.

I really hope they can use third rail.

(BTW just for reference I don't mind wind farms, think they look quite cool. May not be ideal and offshore would be better but I don't really object too much to them).

Interesting.

I've always liked the railways in the U.K.- they suit the place.

But not, not with overhead Electrics, please. If there must be horizontal lifts rather than proper trains, then let there be by third rail.

Interesting.

I've always liked the railways in the U.K.- they suit the place.

But not, not with overhead Electrics, please. If there must be horizontal lifts rather than proper trains, then let there be by third rail.

Also - how will they get the lines underneath tunnels? Does this mean Box Tunnel will need to be demolished or re-done?

They've been threatening to do this for best part of 30 years. I'll belive it when I see it!

It will be a sad day when the HST is decomissioned from the Swansea-Paddington line, they are a true British Engineering Icon.

Its imo that within 50 yrs petrol and diesel wont exist.

If we want a future transport system we simply need to go electric. Unfortunately the case made for this is very strong, especially now and it think its gonna happen.

Nuclear energy is the way forward. Cheap, safe, reliable and doesn't involve us sucking up to Russia

Also - how will they get the lines underneath tunnels? Does this mean Box Tunnel will need to be demolished or re-done?

There will be sufficent space for the electric line to run through the tunnel, it will simply be 'hung' from the ceeling of the tunnel. This is why (i think) the trains pantograph are hinge like, to allow for varing heights of cable.

There will be sufficent space for the electric line to run through the tunnel, it will simply be 'hung' from the ceeling of the tunnel. This is why (i think) the trains pantograph are hinge like, to allow for varing heights of cable.

That's true. It's the way it's done on the Melbourne Suburban network which has an overhead system with pantographs, which rise and fall in line with the height of the overhead wires.

Eastbound Services Leigh Delamare on the M4 yesterday at 4.15pm. A large articulated lorry carrying what looked like the main posts of electrification pylons. Each one had a large plastic label with a barcode and Network Rail written underneath.

I seem to remember someone saying that it will be many years before I saw an electrification pylon anywhere near Bristol, well its a little bit East of there and on a lorry, but it's a pylon and it's near Bristol.

Archived