IGNORED

Squad Numbers

matt1969bcfc

Well I'd assume that a good few have their numbers judging by the squad numbers they've had in friendly matches.

Some are:

2. Orr

3. McAllister

4. Fonts

5. McCombe

6. Carey

7. Elliot

8. Johnson

9. Clarkson

10. Maynard

11. Hartley

12. FANS

13. n/a

14. Skuse

16. Akinde

17. Sproule?

18. B. Wilson

19. J. Wilson?

21. Artus?

22. Gerken?

23. Trundle

24. Plummer

31. Haynes?

I've seen McIndoe wearing 34 and 20 something so not sure on him?!

Well I'd assume that a good few have their numbers judging by the squad numbers they've had in friendly matches.

Some are:

2. Orr

3. McAllister

4. Fonts

5. McCombe

6. Carey

7. Elliot

8. Johnson

9. Clarkson

10. Maynard

11. Hartley

12. FANS

13. n/a

14. Skuse

16. Akinde

17. Sproule?

18. B. Wilson

19. J. Wilson?

21. Artus?

22. Gerken?

23. Trundle

24. Plummer

31. Haynes?

I've seen McIndoe wearing 34 and 20 something so not sure on him?!

Add to that:

15. Williams

19. Ribeiro

32. Nyatanga

I'd guess Gerken will take Basso's No.1 now too!

I'm guessing GJ won't want to do numbers until he hads got a GK in if he think's he's as good ads Gerkin who knows whadt number the new goal keeper would get adnd wadit ad little longer for the ad few potentials that might turn into signings I think maybe after Wolves will get the numbers.

2. Orr

3. McAllister

4. Fonts

5. McCombe

6. Carey

7. Elliot

8. Johnson

9. Clarkson

10. Maynard

11. Hartley

12. McIndoe

13. n/a

14. Skuse

15. Williams

16. Akinde

17. Sproule?

18. B. Wilson

19. J. Wilson?

20. Haynes

21. Artus?

22. Henderson

23. Trundle

24. Plummer

26.Nyatanga

I think this is how it is going. As for the keepers, at Hereford both Basso and Gerken has number one shirts on whereas Brezovan had no number.

2. Orr

3. McAllister

4. Fonts

5. McCombe

6. Carey

7. Elliot

8. Johnson

9. Clarkson

10. Maynard

11. Hartley

12. McIndoe

13. n/a

14. Skuse

15. Williams

16. Akinde

17. Sproule?

18. B. Wilson

19. J. Wilson?

20. Haynes

21. Artus?

22. Henderson

23. Trundle

24. Plummer

26.Nyatanga

I think this is how it is going. As for the keepers, at Hereford both Basso and Gerken has number one shirts on whereas Brezovan had no number.

McIndoe ain't going to be 12 is he that's for the fans :city:

I don't understand why some fans think that squad numbers are so important. There was a time when shirt numbers meant something. Years ago 5 was always a central defender (or center half in old money) and 9 was always the center forward. 7 and 11 were always tricky wingers.

Nowadays they are simply squad numbers with no significance at all.

I don't understand why some fans think that squad numbers are so important. There was a time when shirt numbers meant something. Years ago 5 was always a central defender (or center half in old money) and 9 was always the center forward. 7 and 11 were always tricky wingers.

Get with the times, you're wrong!

What era did every team always have a tricky 7 & 11?! Thats beyond what I'm aware of.

Get with the times, you're wrong!

What era did every team always have a tricky 7 & 11?! Thats beyond what I'm aware of.

I am with the times! thats why I said 'years ago'.

Certainly in the 60's when I played at school every team had two wingers numbered 7 and 11. When I progressed to the mens game it was the same untill about the late 70's when tactics, formations and style of play started to change.

Having numbers 1 to 11 definately made it easier to mark the opposition. At least you knew who your man was before the game had even kicked off.

Squad numbers are more important than you think. its a mater of life and death

'Nowadays they are simply squad numbers with no significance at all' is the bit where you're incorrect. Players do have a mix of tradition and personal numbers.

Anyways people are interested I'm guessing for their own purpose

"A mix of tradition and personal numbers"

Hardly signifcant imo. What does number 14 or 21 actually tell you about where a player might play? All numbers do these days is identify the player to the officials when it comes to cards.

"A mix of tradition and personal numbers"

Hardly signifcant imo. What does number 14 or 21 actually tell you about where a player might play? All numbers do these days is identify the player to the officials when it comes to cards.

You're making a pointless debate over nothing, someone wanted to know the squad number situation then you go into who cares and so forth...

But oh well:

Tradition - The likes of Carey being #6 as a centre half, or Maynard being 10 rather than 4

Personal - Stephen Bywater wearing number 43 as a tribute, or Anelka prefering 39

To SOME players it might really matter, ref's may see it as for when it comes to cards, 4th officials may see it as so they know what to put on the subs board, Ronaldo may see it as his own number, like you see at as something thats should be 1>11 etc etc etc...

I hope you can sleep well tonight, I feel so much better now.

Archived