IGNORED

For Those Who Haven't Seen It...

DaveF

Other than the great strike, the other aspect of that goal I like, is that Hartley receives the ball, gives it and immediately gets ahead of the ball. That movement draws the centre half out of position and allows Maynard the time to turn and shoot in space.

Very encouraging.

Other than the great strike, the other aspect of that goal I like, is that Hartley receives the ball, gives it and immediately gets ahead of the ball. That movement draws the centre half out of position and allows Maynard the time to turn and shoot in space.

Very encouraging.

Indeed. Lets hope that Johnson doesn't spoil things by signing a 'target man'.

I once asked a pensioner in the Supporters Club why John Atyeo scored so many goals. He said that Atyeo would shoot from pretty much anywhere within a 30 yard arc of the goal and although the opposition knew what he would do he only needed a yard in which to get his shot away. That made him almost impossible to mark.

If you think back to Bob Taylor quite a number of his goals came from outside the box and seeing Maynards strike reminded me of a goal Taylor scored at the same end during an evening match. I can't remember who it was against.

I have a good feeling about Maynard this season and with the new additions to the squad and if he can remain fit I reckon he'll get 20+ goals. I really think he could be a legend in the making.

That is some strike, I would quite like one of those distance and speed calculations done on it, like you see sometimes with long range shots. Maynard does have a hell of a kick on him when he fancies hitting it.

I wouldnt agree though regarding the lack of a need for a target man, I think it is essential that we have the option although you would hope that whoever signs can actually play a bit as well, but for someone to play in the championship you would think they must be able to control a ball and pick a pass as well as jump higher than their opposite number.

Despite my avatar pic, I have never seen an atyeo goal, but one of the most famous is supposed to be one at Villa Park in the cup, where he caught one from a mile out and it flew in, it must have looked similar to Maynards. Its sad that we dont have any footage of some of these goals, and also, that we will never have anyone that good again in the future, and if we did have anyone who came close they will be off somewhere else as quickly as possible to earn more money.

Si.

Very encouraging.

spot on edson, i noticed that too, the passing looked very sexy :rolleyes:

I once asked a pensioner in the Supporters Club why John Atyeo scored so many goals. He said that Atyeo would shoot from pretty much anywhere within a 30 yard arc of the goal and although the opposition knew what he would do he only needed a yard in which to get his shot away. That made him almost impossible to mark.

If you think back to Bob Taylor quite a number of his goals came from outside the box and seeing Maynards strike reminded me of a goal Taylor scored at the same end during an evening match. I can't remember who it was against.

I have a good feeling about Maynard this season and with the new additions to the squad and if he can remain fit I reckon he'll get 20+ goals. I really think he could be a legend in the making.

Robbo, I'm pretty sure it was against Crewe, he was about 35 yards out - a real peach! I'm sure we won that game 4-1 on the way to promotion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get injured in that match and miss the remainder of the season???

Robbo, I'm pretty sure it was against Crewe, he was about 35 yards out - a real peach! I'm sure we won that game 4-1 on the way to promotion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he get injured in that match and miss the remainder of the season???

Bloody 'ell! You're testing my memory now. I do remember being in the East End and right behind where the ball dipped into the net but other than that the rest is locked too deep in my memory to recall.

Bloody 'ell! You're testing my memory now. I do remember being in the East End and right behind where the ball dipped into the net but other than that the rest is locked too deep in my memory to recall.

superbob hit one against swansea as well that season, I think we scored 5 and he got a hattrick?

Indeed if we can have pace from haynes with maynard clarkson pulling the strings hartely doing the same just behind elliot defending then yes.. I can see this working and if anything bring a player of the same calibure of clarkson,maynard haynes rather than a target man... would be pleasing to see.As much as I like Adebola it would nice to only play it on the floor and then maybe bring Akinde on for last bit of the game of we want to throw the whole kitchen sink.

Very encouraging.

Yeah your right, Wolves didn't know who to pick up and got punished. Great movement.

A word of warning for Wolves. In the Prem this will happen every game against expecially vs Ze Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and ManU.

Yep 4-1 v Crewe on a tuesday night, scored a hat trick including that stunning strike then pulled his hamstring, got stretchered off and I think that was pretty much his season over. And to some extent his City career, as he never quite took his division 3 form into division 2, until he went to WBA I think it was.

A Classic Roger Malone quote when he scored that goal, the great man said "take that,you boys, from Crewe" still often quoted amongst a few of us, that was his last game of the season after getting injured in that game

Guest MaloneFM
A Classic Roger Malone quote when he scored that goal, the great man said "take that,you boys, from Crewe" still often quoted amongst a few of us, that was his last game of the season after getting injured in that game

I'm afraid I overdubbed that back at Bath Road, I mean the phrase I originally used, 'pick THAT ****r out the stingers' wouldn't have sat well with me saying 'Bruce'? Straight afterwards.

You may well be right about it being my last game of the season as I hit the Johnny Walker a bit hard during the second half and went a pisser off the foot of the ladder getting down from the gantry.

Defensively that goal is a complete and utter disgrace. Willl you get more for backing Wolves to go down or a high interest account? From Keogh it looks like standing on the half way line to the guy jogging behind Mayanard to the keeper's flail.

Nicky won't get that much amount of time and space to do that very often in the championship. Hopefully we'll get a more confident Maynard who can take the chances he gets this year. Hopefully we'll be better at creating them too. But jeez, doesn't his lack of pace stand out, Don't see him being Prem ever.

Archived