IGNORED

Thoughts Of A Derby Fan

internetjef

Just received the following email from my mate at work who is a rams fan

after some heated debate, i said i wondered what other city fans would make of it, so i thought id put in here

discuss....

As a neutral supporter down here I thought it would be good to assess what is likely to happen in the coming season. This is all my own work - your (City's) website is a pretty nifty resource, thankfully, that has allowed me to garner all the facts and figures that are relevant here. Of course this is all opinion based on facts and I suspect there are a few home truths in here that I suspect you won't like. Anyway read on if you want. Any feedback/further discussion is, as always, welcome. If I've missed anyone out let me know.

1. Adriano Basso - He has been the reason for picking up points where arguably they shouldn't. A big loss as one of the best keepers in the league, without him that tight defence could just begin to falter.

2. The midfield - For all the comings and goings this close season little has been done to solve the wings and holding midfield. Hartley won't play every game (now viewed as a journeyman and a player whose best days are a long way behind him), Johnson is too weak and often goes missing in matches and celebrating Elliott signing a new contract could be a misnomer as his injury record suggests more time on the sidelines or, at the very least, a slow start to season beckons.

3. The fans - Once a very united bunch they were quick to criticise the management and players when the playoffs were missed out on. Last season that negativity appeared to spill over to the players and subsequently a worse finish than the season before was had. A few bad results in the early part of next season could knock the confidence of the players and once the fans jump on their backs there's only one direction the team will be heading.

4. The defence - As stated with Basso the back line has been strong in previous seasons yet it is ageing and not getting quicker. Despite that replacements have not been forthcoming - Nyatanga has a lot to prove at Championship level and Andre Blackman has everything to prove. Without addressing this a few injuries could leave the squad destitute and without that covering midfielder there could be some real hammerings in the offing.

5. The transfers - A largely uninspiring haul of players this summer; should we keep faith in Gary Johnson ponder the fans? Well his transfer record since the championship hasn't been great (Styvar, Trundle, Akinde) and the players recruited this summer have come from reserve teams/relegated sides. You can tell a lot about a club from the players they sign - those signed are all grafters and it looks like Johnson knows there will be a struggle ahead. This lack of ambition to forward the club on will lead to an aim for consolidation every season. How long before the fans/board grow tired of 'winning' survival each season? Is it time to change the thinking and be a little more ambitious? The tagline on their website ('become our latest signing') almost has an intended double meaning.

6. Big-time Charlies - There are no 'big' players at City but there are a couple of poisonous attitudes in the dressing room from those that think they are. McIndoe thinks he is a lot better than he is and, if rumours are to be believed, is a constant thorn in Johnson's side. Trundle is another, seen as a bit of a joker this lack of professionalism could be costly - especially if he leads the younger players astray. We already know that Orr doesn't need much encouragement and Noble was a 'bit of a boozer.'

Questions remain over Johnson's ability to handle the hotheads and especially when times get tough - from March 2009 they managed 7 points from a possible 33 which makes you wonder....

7. The strikeforce - Not since 2004/05, when Leroy Lita put away 29 goals, have City managed a striker who can fire in at least 20 goals a season. The new recruits haven't manged it at their former clubs and their overall record of 49 in 219 (David Clarkson), 15 in 117 (Haynes) coupled with Maynards tally of 11 in 46 last season does not inspire confidence that things will change next season. As Charlton, Southampton and Norwich discovered last season, a lack of goals and a poor goal difference is not good for your league position. Nor will it push them towards promotion which is what they really want. The loss of Adebola in normal circumstances would be acceptable but a loss to one of their rivals in Nottingham Forest is an abhorration. It would be poetic justice against Johnson's stubborness if Adebola popped up on the 3rd April 2010 to make those last few fixtures very uncomfortable for the Robins.

No disrespect intended but that post has to be the worst post, without exception, that I have read on here in a long, long time and sounds more like it has come from a disaffected City fan or one of the Blue Few on the wind-up. Some of the "facts" presented there are so wide of the mark that I am surprised you even bother to print them. The bit about Hartley is just absolute $h1t of the highest order and smacks of complete ignorance and lack of basic football knowledge. Go and tell your "Derby mate" that he might have more to worry about this season than us.

I think we'll finish tenth and quite honestly I cannot see Derby bettering that.

This is the bit that makes me think it isn't a Derby fan:

7. The strikeforce ....

The loss of Adebola in normal circumstances would be acceptable but a loss to one of their rivals in Nottingham Forest is an abhorration. It would be poetic justice against Johnson's stubborness if Adebola popped up on the 3rd April 2010 to make those last few fixtures very uncomfortable for the Robins.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think that any Derby fan would wish Nottingham Forest to do well.

Question for the OP.

What sort of mate sends such a long winded croc of shit to a work colleague?

Can i ask what was your response to this retard?

My reply would of been - F... ... you C... ! No longer Email me!

I may also print it off and Ram it up his arse!

Question for the OP.

What sort of mate sends such a long winded croc of shit to a work colleague?

Can i ask what was your response to this retard?

My reply would of been - F... ... you C... ! No longer Email me!

I may also print it off and Ram it up his arse!

YOu shoudn't be so diplomatic Radstock. Say what you think!

I can see where he is coming from, it is viewing City with a 'Worst possible scenario'-

Basso - Totally agree, we are really going to miss him.

I take his point, particularly about the wings. And I don't see that we have the right players to play this wing-back formation.

The fans - Those of us who have seen the bad times are well aware of how quickly 'loyal' fans can disappear. (As at most Clubs)

The defence was not good towards the end of last season, and without Carey, we definitely lack a leader.

Johnsons transfers are mixed, some crackers, and some truly awful ones, particularly with strikers. We have signed a lot of potential, but will it be realised?

No idea on the big time Charlies. GJ was on the radio talking about strikers and did not mention Trundle. With an inexperienced strike force, he should be in serious contention this season. Or are we going to pay him and Basso to do nothing?

The strikeforce - My big worry, especially as I don't expect the defence to be as solid as in recent years.

I think that our squad is good enough to compete reasonably well at Championship level, but I am sure that supporters of 23 other Clubs are saying that, and claiming that the squad is better than last season. I'm not actually expecting too much of this season, I think it's the start of a re-building process that will take a year or two to come to fruition.

As for Derby, they have a lot of good players, and I think that Clough is a quality manager who will bring stability to the Club, and get the best out of some previously under-performing players. A few good results, regular gates of 30K plus - They are definitely one of my tips to do well.

Agree with most other posters.. not very much in the way of homework or reasoned argument here; opinions are ok but at least back them with facts.

I'll just pick up on one thing.. he talks about not signing any 'big' names and then puts down 'big time charlies'.

Tell him to do a lot more research before posting on so many different aspects or, better still, just concentrate on one subject but in detail.

As someone quite rightly put, he should look a little closer to home.

LAst season, Derby at Pride Park were the poorest side ive seen since weve got promoted. How they beat us that day, well its anyones guess. It was one of those freak games! these freak games happen once a season.....the other 45, with poor players like that, you get found out.

Derby will struggle big time this year. Unfortunately, I think we will aswell. I dont think we will come 10th, I reckon we will be in the teens

I can see where he is coming from, it is viewing City with a 'Worst possible scenario'-

Basso - Totally agree, we are really going to miss him.

I take his point, particularly about the wings. And I don't see that we have the right players to play this wing-back formation.

The fans - Those of us who have seen the bad times are well aware of how quickly 'loyal' fans can disappear. (As at most Clubs)

The defence was not good towards the end of last season, and without Carey, we definitely lack a leader.

Johnsons transfers are mixed, some crackers, and some truly awful ones, particularly with strikers. We have signed a lot of potential, but will it be realised?

No idea on the big time Charlies. GJ was on the radio talking about strikers and did not mention Trundle. With an inexperienced strike force, he should be in serious contention this season. Or are we going to pay him and Basso to do nothing?

The strikeforce - My big worry, especially as I don't expect the defence to be as solid as in recent years.

I think that our squad is good enough to compete reasonably well at Championship level, but I am sure that supporters of 23 other Clubs are saying that, and claiming that the squad is better than last season. I'm not actually expecting too much of this season, I think it's the start of a re-building process that will take a year or two to come to fruition.

As for Derby, they have a lot of good players, and I think that Clough is a quality manager who will bring stability to the Club, and get the best out of some previously under-performing players. A few good results, regular gates of 30K plus - They are definitely one of my tips to do well.

Agree, we are naturally bias towards our own club; most of our latest batch of signings were not wanted/required by prev clubs but time will tell if these selections prove fruitfull :unsure:

Basso should maybe of still been no 1 as he is still under contract with us, wouldnt it be better to still be "in the shop window" and playing; aint gonna happen though as there has obviously been things said.

Goalkeeping and strikeforce un-certainty could make this a difficult season,.,. then again who knows we could go 10 games unbeaten we are City anything could happen and probably will. :farmer:

Archived