IGNORED

Thoughts Of A Derby Fan

internetjef

Just received the following email from my mate at work who is a rams fan

after some heated debate, i said i wondered what other city fans would make of it, so i thought id put in here

discuss....

As a neutral supporter down here I thought it would be good to assess what is likely to happen in the coming season. This is all my own work - your (City's) website is a pretty nifty resource, thankfully, that has allowed me to garner all the facts and figures that are relevant here. Of course this is all opinion based on facts and I suspect there are a few home truths in here that I suspect you won't like. Anyway read on if you want. Any feedback/further discussion is, as always, welcome. If I've missed anyone out let me know.

1. Adriano Basso - He has been the reason for picking up points where arguably they shouldn't. A big loss as one of the best keepers in the league, without him that tight defence could just begin to falter.

2. The midfield - For all the comings and goings this close season little has been done to solve the wings and holding midfield. Hartley won't play every game (now viewed as a journeyman and a player whose best days are a long way behind him), Johnson is too weak and often goes missing in matches and celebrating Elliott signing a new contract could be a misnomer as his injury record suggests more time on the sidelines or, at the very least, a slow start to season beckons.

3. The fans - Once a very united bunch they were quick to criticise the management and players when the playoffs were missed out on. Last season that negativity appeared to spill over to the players and subsequently a worse finish than the season before was had. A few bad results in the early part of next season could knock the confidence of the players and once the fans jump on their backs there's only one direction the team will be heading.

4. The defence - As stated with Basso the back line has been strong in previous seasons yet it is ageing and not getting quicker. Despite that replacements have not been forthcoming - Nyatanga has a lot to prove at Championship level and Andre Blackman has everything to prove. Without addressing this a few injuries could leave the squad destitute and without that covering midfielder there could be some real hammerings in the offing.

5. The transfers - A largely uninspiring haul of players this summer; should we keep faith in Gary Johnson ponder the fans? Well his transfer record since the championship hasn't been great (Styvar, Trundle, Akinde) and the players recruited this summer have come from reserve teams/relegated sides. You can tell a lot about a club from the players they sign - those signed are all grafters and it looks like Johnson knows there will be a struggle ahead. This lack of ambition to forward the club on will lead to an aim for consolidation every season. How long before the fans/board grow tired of 'winning' survival each season? Is it time to change the thinking and be a little more ambitious? The tagline on their website ('become our latest signing') almost has an intended double meaning.

6. Big-time Charlies - There are no 'big' players at City but there are a couple of poisonous attitudes in the dressing room from those that think they are. McIndoe thinks he is a lot better than he is and, if rumours are to be believed, is a constant thorn in Johnson's side. Trundle is another, seen as a bit of a joker this lack of professionalism could be costly - especially if he leads the younger players astray. We already know that Orr doesn't need much encouragement and Noble was a 'bit of a boozer.'

Questions remain over Johnson's ability to handle the hotheads and especially when times get tough - from March 2009 they managed 7 points from a possible 33 which makes you wonder....

7. The strikeforce - Not since 2004/05, when Leroy Lita put away 29 goals, have City managed a striker who can fire in at least 20 goals a season. The new recruits haven't manged it at their former clubs and their overall record of 49 in 219 (David Clarkson), 15 in 117 (Haynes) coupled with Maynards tally of 11 in 46 last season does not inspire confidence that things will change next season. As Charlton, Southampton and Norwich discovered last season, a lack of goals and a poor goal difference is not good for your league position. Nor will it push them towards promotion which is what they really want. The loss of Adebola in normal circumstances would be acceptable but a loss to one of their rivals in Nottingham Forest is an abhorration. It would be poetic justice against Johnson's stubborness if Adebola popped up on the 3rd April 2010 to make those last few fixtures very uncomfortable for the Robins.

I think your mate needs to look at his own club, has he seen who Derby have brought in this summer? Dean Moxey and players from Burton Albion are hardly inspiring.

I know which clubs position i would rather be in and its certainly not Derby County.

If we struggle this season it won't be for the reasons mentioned above.

For every year Carey gets older and slower (and he isn't showing it yet), Fonts gets more experienced and better.

Bad eggs/disruptive players - very wide of the mark. Even last year we were very well disciplined with enough fight but only one red card (Macca's two bookings at Forest). People single out McIndoe because he's actually quite good but no matter how gobby people may perceive him I'd love to have him on my side. He'll get stuck in, work hard and stick up for you. We've had big personalities from the start under Johnson and apparently friction (Phillips, Stewart etc.) but GJ has always maintained authority and build a team that even when rubbish will work amazingly hard for each other.

after some heated debate, i said i wondered what other city fans would make of it, so i thought id put in here

discuss....

As a neutral supporter down here I thought it would be good to assess what is likely to happen in the coming season. This is all my own work - your (City's) website is a pretty nifty resource, thankfully, that has allowed me to garner all the facts and figures that are relevant here. Of course this is all opinion based on facts and I suspect there are a few home truths in here that I suspect you won't like. Anyway read on if you want. Any feedback/further discussion is, as always, welcome. If I've missed anyone out let me know.

1. Adriano Basso - He has been the reason for picking up points where arguably they shouldn't. A big loss as one of the best keepers in the league, without him that tight defence could just begin to falter.

2. The midfield - For all the comings and goings this close season little has been done to solve the wings and holding midfield. Hartley won't play every game (now viewed as a journeyman and a player whose best days are a long way behind him), Johnson is too weak and often goes missing in matches and celebrating Elliott signing a new contract could be a misnomer as his injury record suggests more time on the sidelines or, at the very least, a slow start to season beckons.

3. The fans - Once a very united bunch they were quick to criticise the management and players when the playoffs were missed out on. Last season that negativity appeared to spill over to the players and subsequently a worse finish than the season before was had. A few bad results in the early part of next season could knock the confidence of the players and once the fans jump on their backs there's only one direction the team will be heading.

4. The defence - As stated with Basso the back line has been strong in previous seasons yet it is ageing and not getting quicker. Despite that replacements have not been forthcoming - Nyatanga has a lot to prove at Championship level and Andre Blackman has everything to prove. Without addressing this a few injuries could leave the squad destitute and without that covering midfielder there could be some real hammerings in the offing.

5. The transfers - A largely uninspiring haul of players this summer; should we keep faith in Gary Johnson ponder the fans? Well his transfer record since the championship hasn't been great (Styvar, Trundle, Akinde) and the players recruited this summer have come from reserve teams/relegated sides. You can tell a lot about a club from the players they sign - those signed are all grafters and it looks like Johnson knows there will be a struggle ahead. This lack of ambition to forward the club on will lead to an aim for consolidation every season. How long before the fans/board grow tired of 'winning' survival each season? Is it time to change the thinking and be a little more ambitious? The tagline on their website ('become our latest signing') almost has an intended double meaning.

6. Big-time Charlies - There are no 'big' players at City but there are a couple of poisonous attitudes in the dressing room from those that think they are. McIndoe thinks he is a lot better than he is and, if rumours are to be believed, is a constant thorn in Johnson's side. Trundle is another, seen as a bit of a joker this lack of professionalism could be costly - especially if he leads the younger players astray. We already know that Orr doesn't need much encouragement and Noble was a 'bit of a boozer.'

Questions remain over Johnson's ability to handle the hotheads and especially when times get tough - from March 2009 they managed 7 points from a possible 33 which makes you wonder....

7. The strikeforce - Not since 2004/05, when Leroy Lita put away 29 goals, have City managed a striker who can fire in at least 20 goals a season. The new recruits haven't manged it at their former clubs and their overall record of 49 in 219 (David Clarkson), 15 in 117 (Haynes) coupled with Maynards tally of 11 in 46 last season does not inspire confidence that things will change next season. As Charlton, Southampton and Norwich discovered last season, a lack of goals and a poor goal difference is not good for your league position. Nor will it push them towards promotion which is what they really want. The loss of Adebola in normal circumstances would be acceptable but a loss to one of their rivals in Nottingham Forest is an abhorration. It would be poetic justice against Johnson's stubborness if Adebola popped up on the 3rd April 2010 to make those last few fixtures very uncomfortable for the Robins.

Are you sure he's Derby, sounds more like Gash to me!

Hartley a journey man, best days behind him? Where did he dig that up from?

Akinde a bad signing?

Clarkson signed from a relegated team did he?

He really needs to check his facts. Ask him where Derby's summer signings have come from? Blackpool, Burton, Exeter - never mind us looking over our shoulder in April.......

Idiot.

Was going to respond to some of the points made then got the bit about Adebola, "abhorrent" clearly clueless on that one then, do more research and i think it would be found that the move was best for all parties involved. Generally an inaccurate review of our squad regardless of agreeing with it or not.

Interesting enough read, but very negative on all accounts, similar to reading the thoughts of the most disaffected and pessimistic City fan.

No truth in his description of Trundle having a poisonous attitude.

If he's down this way long term it would be interesting to know if he ever actually goes to watch City...... or the gas for that matter. :innocent06:

A very 'bias' report IMO, I wonder what he would say about Dean Moxey and Lee Croft, probably would say excellent signings.

The bloke is on a huge wind up but what would you expect from a former Premier League club fan.

BCAGFC

discuss....

that is hilarious. there are so many assumptions and holes in that its brilliant.

"should we keep faith in Gary Johnson ponder the fans", absolute joker. of course nigel clough has achieved so much in the game as a manager. simply superb comedy.

You could make seven similar points about almost any of our CCC rivals. All you need is to research the facts which can then be presented either positively, or as in this case negatively.

Personally I could be arsed to do the footwork.

On a positive note you could say that Johnson has realised that the old squad wasn't good enough and that he has gone about strengthening this summer by bringing in a combination of youth and experience. Thats a sound management stratagy proven over decades. This coming season will start with several new players all trying to establish themselves as first team regulars which will raise their games. The existing regulars are now aware that the 'comfort zone' is no longer there and they too will up their game. It looks pretty good imo.

This is a view from 60,000ft and very mistaken. The squad is much stronger this year and our midfield will rival the best in the division. Harley does not have a record of prolonged injury problems - he played in the majority of Celtic games in all competitions last season. Derby would love to have a "journeyman" such as him in their midfield. Basso is good but certainly not irreplaceable. There is no evidence of dressing room disruption or disharmony.

From 60,000ft things look very different ... Cardiff looks as though it might be quite a nice place ...

discuss....

1. Disagree - Losing Bass is a loss but he is hardly irreplaceable

2. Disagree - Firstly Hartley has pleanty to offer from what i've seen and heard. Secondly he's ignored the emergence of Skuse and a GJ fit Williams. I agree with him on the wingers but Haynes can cover, as can Blackman and we seem to be trying a new 4-3-3 formation where we dont play traditional out and out wingers.

3. Not entirely sure where he got that from!

4. Ageing? Orr-26 ,Ribeiro-19, Carey-32, Fonts-23, Nyatanga-20, Wilson-20, McCombe-26, Mcallister-31, Blackman-18. The first team squad defence with an average age of 23.9 years.

5. Disagree. We've taken Motherwell's prize asset and all the other signings have been very positive looking ahead. Not all the players can be taken from first teams as we know, or we'd then end up paying well over the odd's.

6. Disagree. Digging up the past...no sign's of these 'poisinous' characters recently as far as i'm aware...other than the usual shite that comes out through a so called source.

7. Piss off

I agree with a previous poster...tell your mate to look a little closer to home if he's worried about these issues effecting our club

If the prompt for this was "hello mate, any chance you could jot down a really long winded, negative, ill informed and inaccurate assessment of a team that finished above you last season so I can annoy the guys on the forum?" then I would suggest he has hit the spot!

pretty poor analysis.

although everyone on here is mainly getting uptight because its a negative view of our club. understanable.

Put simply, whoever wrote this thinks they know about football, but really has no clue about it at all. we'll see at the end of the season how well our journey men and reserve team players do in comparison to derby and the rest of the division.

let us not forget, the season we achieved so much was the year people underestimated us. It fills me with joy to hear it happening again :D

and the bit about our fans? he's not experienced the noise of the east end then?

If that's other teams' perception of our chances this season I'm happy enough for them to believe that. Our good first season in the Championship was at least partly down to other sides underestimating us.

Sadly I think most managers will recognise City as far more of a threat.

Wolves and Cardiff - Basso lost us 4 points - those immediately spring to mind.

Perhaps the two welsh u21 internationals provide the speed and cover at right back and centre backs together with the welsh full international of nyatanga who can cover left back and centre half and Fontaine who can do the same.

Haynes comes in for Sproule, Hartley in for LJ,

cant be arsed with the rest of it.

This is a very weak arguement and some assuming points. He is going on assumptions which are unlikely to happen. Basso is/was one of the best keepers in the division but isn't the catalyst of the team.

If he seen the Wolves game he may have a different opinion, however, if he seen last nights game he may feel he is right.

We just have to wait and see, but I shall make an assumption now and that is, I take it your mate thinks the Rams will go up?....he's in for a shock!

MM

If that's other teams' perception of our chances this season I'm happy enough for them to believe that. Our good first season in the Championship was at least partly down to other sides underestimating us.

Sadly I think most managers will recognise City as far more of a threat.

Definately. Too many fans, more so from other clubs look backwards in terms of previous acheivements, where we were a few years back and where their team may have been for example. If the fans think this then great as we don't have to be big headed to be better on the pitch.

Whereas the managers in the Championship would be near foolish to underestimate us. Most of them get payed far too much money to make poor judgments on teams, such as ourselves, who've been promoted over the years. Except Neil Warnock. :innocent06:

that made me chuckle lets see where the two clubs finish come the end of the season my money is we finish higher than them

that chap should concentrate on his own team they haven't exactly filled the league with dread over there summer signings

And that's quite an achievement given the length of time you've been reading this forum!!! :rolleyes:

OK, slight overreaction. Lee Johnson and AY's academy threads may pip it.

Cracks me up about our holding midfield area we are supposedly struggling with, Dont we have Skuse, Hartley and Elliot, maybe among the best defensive midfielder in the Championship? What the **** is this guy on, is he confusing is with Rovers?

I also don't know many teams in the entire English leagues that are more united about their Gaffer/Chairman than us. Most Citys fans afaic have never been more satisfied with how things are going, I for one am still excited about playing in the Championship, its an awesome league and we have the potential to progress even further.

One thing i will agree on is that GJ prefers players who give 100% for the shirt and i'm sorry, but without that unity we are nothing, give me a hard working honest loyal player with some skill than a more skilled lazy fay money grabbing boozing waster every day. We've moved on and up since Wilson and Tinnions days and thank god too!

discuss....

1. Adriano Basso - He has been the reason for picking up points where arguably they shouldn't. A big loss as one of the best keepers in the league, without him that tight defence could just begin to falter. Could happen

2. The midfield - For all the comings and goings this close season little has been done to solve the wings and holding midfield. Hartley won't play every game (now viewed as a journeyman and a player whose best days are a long way behind him), Johnson is too weak and often goes missing in matches and celebrating Elliott signing a new contract could be a misnomer as his injury record suggests more time on the sidelines or, at the very least, a slow start to season beckons. one of the strongest in the div

3. The fans - Once a very united bunch they were quick to criticise the management and players when the playoffs were missed out on. Last season that negativity appeared to spill over to the players and subsequently a worse finish than the season before was had. A few bad results in the early part of next season could knock the confidence of the players and once the fans jump on their backs there's only one direction the team will be heading. our fans are the best in the country

4. The defence - As stated with Basso the back line has been strong in previous seasons yet it is ageing and not getting quicker. Despite that replacements have not been forthcoming - Nyatanga has a lot to prove at Championship level and Andre Blackman has everything to prove. Without addressing this a few injuries could leave the squad destitute and without that covering midfielder there could be some real hammerings in the offing. no hammerings, could be draw kings again though

5. The transfers - A largely uninspiring haul of players this summer; should we keep faith in Gary Johnson ponder the fans? Well his transfer record since the championship hasn't been great (Styvar, Trundle, Akinde) and the players recruited this summer have come from reserve teams/relegated sides. You can tell a lot about a club from the players they sign - those signed are all grafters and it looks like Johnson knows there will be a struggle ahead. This lack of ambition to forward the club on will lead to an aim for consolidation every season. How long before the fans/board grow tired of 'winning' survival each season? Is it time to change the thinking and be a little more ambitious? The tagline on their website ('become our latest signing') almost has an intended double meaning. time will tell

Questions remain over Johnson's ability to handle the hotheads and especially when times get tough - from March 2009 they managed 7 points from a possible 33 which makes you wonder....go tell Akinde he aint big

7. The strikeforce - Not since 2004/05, when Leroy Lita put away 29 goals, have City managed a striker who can fire in at least 20 goals a season. The new recruits haven't manged it at their former clubs and their overall record of 49 in 219 (David Clarkson), 15 in 117 (Haynes) coupled with Maynards tally of 11 in 46 last season does not inspire confidence that things will change next season. As Charlton, Southampton and Norwich discovered last season, a lack of goals and a poor goal difference is not good for your league position. Nor will it push them towards promotion which is what they really want. The loss of Adebola in normal circumstances would be acceptable but a loss to one of their rivals in Nottingham Forest is an abhorration. It would be poetic justice against Johnson's stubborness if Adebola popped up on the 3rd April 2010 to make those last few fixtures very uncomfortable for the Robins. we are short on cover at the moment

Anything could happen this season from top to flop we`ll see.

Guest howred

discuss....

sorry but what a complete an utter @@@@sucker, need i say more

Archived