IGNORED

Carey...

Jordan Tansley

Whats all this rubbish from people on here that he is too old? he's 32, which for a centre half is in his prime. he has the experience to lead not only our defence but also our team.

Last season I never once looked at him and thought, he's starting to get past it. Yes he missed a few games with injury, but it is an assumption that those injuries are down to age rather than just coincidence.

Louis is an integeral part of our side, and will continue to be for some time to come in my opinion.

I just wondered why people seem to be saying he is past it at 32? :noexpression: laurent blanc played til he was almost 40... as did maldini, adams, keown, blah blah...

Whats all this rubbish from people on here that he is too old? he's 32, which for a centre half is in his prime. he has the experience to lead not only our defence but also our team.

Last season I never once looked at him and thought, he's starting to get past it. Yes he missed a few games with injury, but it is an assumption that those injuries are down to age rather than just coincidence.

Louis is an integeral part of our side, and will continue to be for some time to come in my opinion.

I just wondered why people seem to be saying he is past it at 32? :noexpression: laurent blanc played til he was almost 40... as did maldini, adams, keown, blah blah...

well said that man

i agree

especially with a quicker CB like fonts or nyatanga next to him

his experience will give him an extra yard... like teddy sheringham :laugh:

I have no qualms at all that he should be nailed on first team, hopefully he can put the few niggly injuries behind him next season

what about Shaun Taylor :disapointed2se:

i think that we have a better record playing with him than without him, last season we did quite bad if i can remember when he was injured?

i think the difference this season will be hartley.. last season when carey wasn't playing we lacked a natural leader when the likes of mcallister and mccombe were captain.. this season i feel we have two leaders on the pitch regardless of who is captain

There are two sides of Carey's game, both shown in the defeat v Derby at their place.

Got caught out messing around with the ball, lost it and didn't have the pace to get back; 1 nil down.

Then stuck a rocket up his backside and was stunning.

Injured, and the defence fell asleep for the last 5 mins.

His reading of play is superb, but his concentration needs improving.

but his concentration needs improving.

Louis is either brilliant or crap, there is no in between/average.

The lack of concentration is due to his age and will only get worse plus his positional sense has never been good which was shown up badly when playing at RB all those years ago (Luton Town 3-2 defeat as an example).

Needs to be replaced next season.

BCAGFC

Louis is either brilliant or crap, there is no in between/average.

The lack of concentration is due to his age and will only get worse plus his positional sense has never been good which was shown up badly when playing at RB all those years ago (Luton Town 3-2 defeat as an example).

Needs to be replaced next season.

BCAGFC

But he is brilliant a lot more than he is crap.

He doesn't need to be replaced at all. the guy is solid, tackles well and can play a bit of football too.

Louis is the heart and soul of this club, we all saw last year how are defence crumbled in his absense and he always leads by example. At Yeovil on Tuesday, after Edwards mistake which lead to Yeovils winner in the last few minutes, you could see how gutted Edwards looked in what was probably his biggest game to date in a City shirt. And you could see Louis was the only player to walk up to him, put a hand on his shoulder and obviously give some encouragement. Its these moments when you realise how big a player he is and we need him for the promising youngsters coming through. By all accounts Louis wasnt brilliant on the night and iv heard through a friend that it was his father that died suddenly. I dont wanna spread rumours and mean no harm but if this is the case my thoughts are with him and his family.

Louis is the heart and soul of this club, we all saw last year how are defence crumbled in his absense and he always leads by example. At Yeovil on Tuesday, after Edwards mistake which lead to Yeovils winner in the last few minutes, you could see how gutted Edwards looked in what was probably his biggest game to date in a City shirt. And you could see Louis was the only player to walk up to him, put a hand on his shoulder and obviously give some encouragement. Its these moments when you realise how big a player he is and we need him for the promising youngsters coming through. By all accounts Louis wasnt brilliant on the night and iv heard through a friend that it was his father that died suddenly. I dont wanna spread rumours and mean no harm but if this is the case my thoughts are with him and his family.

Thanks for that post. Inspirational stuff.

Another thing I would say in Louis' favour is that he turns up on match days in a black VW Golf, unlike most of the others who have some pretty expensive machinery to display. I don't know, or care, what Louis has in the garage at home, I just think it is commendable of him not to rub fans' faces in it with regard to what players can afford and we can't (should you want to waste your money on a depreciating asset, that is).

Cant say i ever hear people talking about Carey getting too old, yes hes getting older, but hes an essential part of the squad and the team captain.

I think we all know in the back of our minds there will be a day when we have to start thinking about Careys long term replacement, but not now, and not for a long time I hope.

I wanna see Louis lead the team out in the Premier League, Its a dream I had hope to include Basso in, those two being the oldest squad members an all, but hey-ho. Hartley can replace Basso then.

So on the subject, who is Carey's natural understudy, do we have one?

I have no qualms about Louis being in our team but i really do think if we play with 2 centre halves that there will be a massive battle for places with Nyatangas arrival. I could see Louis on the bench on merit in the coming season.

Guest ashtonyate
I have no qualms about Louis being in our team but i really do think if we play with 2 centre halves that there will be a massive battle for places with Nyatangas arrival. I could see Louis on the bench on merit in the coming season.

In a way I hope you are right if we got a player better than Carey at the Club, to keep him on his toes but I doubt it.

A fit Carey is inspirational to the team him & Basso have been the reason we have over performed the last few years, but at 32 he is in the latter stage of his footballing life they say Footballer peak at 27/28.

Yes he can still have 3/4 more years but knocks take longer to get better and players lose there pace,that is why at 32 I wonder how Hartley will fare over the course of the season?.

In a way I hope you are right if we got a player better than Carey at the Club, to keep him on his toes but I doubt it.

A fit Carey is inspirational to the team him & Basso have been the reason we have over performed the last few years, but at 32 he is in the latter stage of his footballing life they say Footballer peak at 27/28.

Yes he can still have 3/4 more years but knocks take longer to get better and players lose there pace,that is why at 32 I wonder how Hartley will fare over the course of the season?.

Carey is at is peak now. he doesn't need pace, he's never exactly been road runner has he? he's at his peak because he has years of experience to call on, he has undoubted leadership skills and he has the anticipation of a top defender.

I think you're just being negative for the sake of it, If hartley was so affected by his age, he wouldn't have got on with GJ would he? GJ loves Fit players. we have one of the fittest teams in the league. and lets not forget, Hartley played a lot of games last season and was still a star in champions league and SPL games. No small feat.

:disapointed2se:

That's bizarre. I don't particualarly care who plays for us as long as we do well. Hell do you still want Scott Murray in the team? Or lets bring back Tinnion. We move on, we progress. I think Louis is great, but if someone's better even i'd stick them in the team. I hope we didn't spend around 500k on a back up centre back!

That's bizarre. I don't particualarly care who plays for us as long as we do well. Hell do you still want Scott Murray in the team? Or lets bring back Tinnion. We move on, we progress. I think Louis is great, but if someone's better even i'd stick them in the team. I hope we didn't spend around 500k on a back up centre back!

So are you saying that Nyantange(sp) - Carey is easier to spell - should be first choice centre back as we have spent half a million on him, and how do you know that he is better than Louis?

Or are you saying something else?

No point buying crap players though and labelling them backup, Nayatanga is quality, a full international at 23 and worth the money, I think it could be one of GJ's best buys yet, we'll see.

I think GJ is no different to most managers, he'll pick the best 11 he possibly can to win the game, why would you do anything different unless you're a complete psycho?

'Your best 11' are 3 words most managers are likely to wake up panicking about and go to bed crying about, there is so much to consider and so much at stake at this level, probably like like juggling bear traps in the dark. :juggle:

Carey, Fonts, Tanga, Boom, Ribs, Wilson. We have 6 very capable centre halfs now, with Orr, Wilson, Blackman and Macca at full back. Quality.

Nobody has said he's "too old" so that assertion is rubbish, but he is clearly taking knocks more frequently and finding it harder to get back to fitness.

Louis missed 18 league games last season. 13 league games the season before. 10 the season before that.

It's called a trend and it's as good an indication as you will ever get that a player is feeling his age.

We need a succession plan, Nyatanga and Fontaine look good to me in that respect.

Louis is integeral to our side, but he had his injury problems last season and there were rumours that one injury in particular was re-occurring and could force him to retire.

He is obviously still at the club, but I will be relieved to see him play the first 10 games...

Louis is integeral to our side, but he had his injury problems last season and there were rumours that one injury in particular was re-occurring and could force him to retire.

He is obviously still at the club, but I will be relieved to see him play the first 10 games...

Snap.

No problem with his age, as Shaun Taylor showed.

The worry is the injury rumour from last season. I will be be similalry relieved if this rumour turns out to be wrong.

Archived