IGNORED

Gary To Go To War With Scottish Fa? (merged Topics)

eric04

Radio Bristol had GJ on this morning about the Scotland squad named today. Hartley, Clarkson and McAllister could be in it and called away for a world cup qualifier in Norway next week.

Talk about bad scheduling or what?!!!!!

GJ says we could refuse to let them go. Are we allowed to do that for a world cup qualifier?

Radio Bristol had GJ on this morning about the Scotland squad named today. Hartley, Clarkson and McAllister could be in it and called away for a world cup qualifier in Norway next week.

GJ says we could refuse to let them go. Are we allowed to do that for a world cup qualifier?

Not according to Fifa regs as I understand them. Burley could enforce their release.This however won't happen as common sense will prevail. :noexpression:

McAllister always wants to play for his country (http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~1410541,00.html) as I am sure Hartley and Clarkson do. In the past GJ has championed Mcallister's recall to the national fold (and am I right in thinking he was pushing for McIndoe to be involved last season?). I appreciate there is an issue with match scheduling but GJ can't have it all his own way.

Victims of our own success perhaps? Now we know how some of the Prem clubs must feel!

Im quite sure there is a rule that if 3 or more of your first team squad are pulled away on international duty then the club has a chance to request to the FA for a rescheduling of a game that falls on the same day or something like that???

McAllister always wants to play for his country (http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~1410541,00.html) as I am sure Hartley and Clarkson do. In the past GJ has championed Mcallister's recall to the national fold (and am I right in thinking he was pushing for McIndoe to be involved last season?). I appreciate there is an issue with match scheduling but GJ can't have it all his own way.

GJ mentioned in an interview last year that Burley told him he had been watching McCallister, McIndoe and Lee Johnson, and seemed rightly pleased about it.

I think there is a fairly full international programme next week, so whether its a designated international week or not, we should be aware that having international calbre players means its likely we will lose them.

I dont really see it as a big problem, they'd only be gone a few days, and I would suspect that GJ will want to give the fringe players a game against Brentford anyway.

Its all very exciting signing internationals, until things like this remind you its perhaps better to have a tight team of nobody's.

Remember the frustration of Wiltshire a few years back.

At least Scotland is not the other side of the world - though that is a debate in itself.....

Confirmed on the Scottish FA site!

Goalkeepers

Neil Alexander - Rangers

Jamie Langfield - Aberdeen

David Marshall - Cardiff City

Defenders

Darren Barr - Falkirk

Christophe Berra - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Gary Caldwell - Celtic

Steven Caldwell - Burnley

Callum Davidson - Preston North End

Alan Hutton - Tottenham Hotspur

Jamie McAllister - Bristol City

Steven Whittaker - Rangers

Midfield

Graham Alexander - Burnley

Scott Brown - Celtic

Kris Commons - Derby County

Darren Fletcher - Manchester United

Paul Hartley - Bristol City

Shaun Maloney - Celtic

James McFadden - Birmingham City

Forwards

David Clarkson - Bristol City

Steven Fletcher - Burnley

Ross McCormack - Cardiff City

Kenny Miller - Rangers

Steven Naismith - Rangers

I am a big fan of GJ, but I dont think he has an argument on this, we have just signed 2 current internationals, but moan if they are called up to play?! If you dont want to lose internationals, then it seems to me that you dont sign them?! I hear Rovers have a few to choose from? :innocent06: It bugs me when clubs sign african players, then when they go for the african championships, which I think are every other january, for a month, all hell breaks loose. If you are a manager who doesnt like that, then dont sign african players?

it's not really the scottish fa that are at fault it's uefa or fifa whoever schedule the games on a side note having 6 players on international duty all be it a couple of u21s shows how far we have come as a squad under gj next step having a few england internationals

it's not really the scottish fa that are at fault it's uefa or fifa whoever schedule the games on a side note having 6 players on international duty all be it a couple of u21s shows how far we have come as a squad under gj next step having a few england internationals

Game was moved from week after to avoid clashing with Champions League.

I am a big fan of GJ, but I dont think he has an argument on this, we have just signed 2 current internationals, but moan if they are called up to play?! If you dont want to lose internationals, then it seems to me that you dont sign them?! I hear Rovers have a few to choose from? :innocent06: It bugs me when clubs sign african players, then when they go for the african championships, which I think are every other january, for a month, all hell breaks loose. If you are a manager who doesnt like that, then dont sign african players?

Agreed. This game has been arranged for months and there's pretty much a full friendly calendar too. If you were "surprised" then you didn't do your homework Gary. And you've signed players who wanted a move to City to aid their international ambitions. It'd be frankly stupid to block them going as he intimates in the BBC article on the same topic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8182945.stm

Gary your comments sound stupid. It's not what we want or expect.

Agreed. This game has been arranged for months and there's pretty much a full friendly calendar too. If you were "surprised" then you didn't do your homework Gary. And you've signed players who wanted a move to City to aid their international ambitions. It'd be frankly stupid to block them going as he intimates in the BBC article on the same topic.

Gary your comments sound stupid. It's not what we want or expect.

Spot on Mate, Gary's usually pretty smart but on this one he's just wrong - and anyway Burley's going to agree to leave out the 3 players he's just called up because we are playing----------Brentford!

He's signed 3 internationals but seemingly hasn't thought to check when the season's Wales/Scotland fixtures were?

If players are out we have replacements in the squad:

Blackman replaces McAllister

Either one of Johnson/Skuse/Williams replace Hartley

Akinde replaces Clarkson

McCoombe replaces Nyatanga

J.Wilson and Ribiero were never going to start either against Preston

None of the suggested replacements are expected to play against Preston so what's the problem? and plenty of young first year pros would would like to sit on the bench and hopefully get on for some experience.

CR

I am personally pretty annoyed with Johnson's comments on this one, being a Bristol City and Scotland fan myself, he is showing a complete lack of respect by voicing off over this one. Its an International Competitive fixture, he should have known about it months ago, in fact I am certain he probably did know about it months ago....such a fuss was made over the fixture being rearranged. By threatening to pull the players (which he cant do) he is only going to start to annoy our 3 current scotland internationals, who we should be very proud of! I expect potentially all 3 to play some part in the game, with Naysmith out, McCallister may start, with Robson out Hartley may start, and Calrkson is sure to get a run from the bench.....The thing is it is only the Carling Cup first round, yes its a competitve fixture, but also given the nature of the tournament a chance to make changes to bring in the youth, we did it last year by playing Ribero and Wilson I think! So the 3 missing merely opens this opportunity out further for Johnson to get the younguns out for another run in what will be a big match for them, whilst also getting 3 of his first team playing in what is potentailly one of the biggest games of their year.....its actually a win/win situation.....so on this occasion he ought to keep his mouth shut.....otherwise I have never been able to complain once about GJ tenure as maanger.....

I am personally pretty annoyed with Johnson's comments on this one, being a Bristol City and Scotland fan myself, he is showing a complete lack of respect by voicing off over this one. Its an International Competitive fixture, he should have known about it months ago, in fact I am certain he probably did know about it months ago....such a fuss was made over the fixture being rearranged. By threatening to pull the players (which he cant do) he is only going to start to annoy our 3 current scotland internationals, who we should be very proud of! I expect potentially all 3 to play some part in the game, with Naysmith out, McCallister may start, with Robson out Hartley may start, and Calrkson is sure to get a run from the bench.....The thing is it is only the Carling Cup first round, yes its a competitve fixture, but also given the nature of the tournament a chance to make changes to bring in the youth, we did it last year by playing Ribero and Wilson I think! So the 3 missing merely opens this opportunity out further for Johnson to get the younguns out for another run in what will be a big match for them, whilst also getting 3 of his first team playing in what is potentailly one of the biggest games of their year.....its actually a win/win situation.....so on this occasion he ought to keep his mouth shut.....

Another inane rant from Mr Media :bonkers:

Spot on mate. Sam 'Sourface' used to moan all the time when at Bolton about the likes of Okocha going to the ANC but kept buying African players. One of his first signings when he took over at Newcastle was Geremi. Talk about creating problems for yourself!

I am personally pretty annoyed with Johnson's comments on this one, being a Bristol City and Scotland fan myself, he is showing a complete lack of respect by voicing off over this one. Its an International Competitive fixture, he should have known about it months ago, in fact I am certain he probably did know about it months ago....such a fuss was made over the fixture being rearranged. By threatening to pull the players (which he cant do) he is only going to start to annoy our 3 current scotland internationals, who we should be very proud of! I expect potentially all 3 to play some part in the game, with Naysmith out, McCallister may start, with Robson out Hartley may start, and Calrkson is sure to get a run from the bench.....The thing is it is only the Carling Cup first round, yes its a competitve fixture, but also given the nature of the tournament a chance to make changes to bring in the youth, we did it last year by playing Ribero and Wilson I think! So the 3 missing merely opens this opportunity out further for Johnson to get the younguns out for another run in what will be a big match for them, whilst also getting 3 of his first team playing in what is potentailly one of the biggest games of their year.....its actually a win/win situation.....so on this occasion he ought to keep his mouth shut.....otherwise I have never been able to complain once about GJ tenure as maanger.....

Would GJ have complained if Lee J had been called up by Burley..?

If you have current internationals in your squad this happens - he should live with it or sign nobodies.

Archived