IGNORED

Bcfc Pics

Lordofthebling

Are people over-reacting.......? Maybe

Either way the club should have had more sense than to allow such images to be present in the public domain. The sad thing is our society is full of impressionable people (young and old) and although the pictures are not meant to influence or offend, they could potentially do just that.

I mean the irony is Maynard as a sharp-shooter, come on he couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo last season......in fact thinking about it, that would have made a much better photo.........hold on, stop think about it, animal rights issues.......man this picture taking is a mine field.

I think it might just be reffering to him as an 'assasin' being deadly infront of goal, seriously guys loosen up, noones gonna go and shoot someone because of Nicky Maynard posing as bond. And if they do well, they probably would have anyway cos they listen to 50 cent.

What if he had posed with a knife?

Would that be any different?

Or in a *unacceptable word* uniform?

Or in bovver boots, tank top, baces,cropped hair & a scarf around his wrist aiming a kick at the camers

Seriously though.....those in control are supposed to be thinking about how they influence others and in a world where gun crime is a bug problem (especialy among young black men) this is not the most sensible thing to have done

Why not a smock & a pitchfork? :farmer:

I have read all of the points raised and I dont think people are over reacting, I think that the club/media dept etc should have had more sense than to pose a player with a gun. Those who have then made jokes over it must never have had to deal with the aftermath of gun crime, if they did they would relise why this was a stuipd thig to do.

Gun or no gun I just think it's dated an naff, and pretty embarrassing really. If I do want to see pictures of our players then can they be of them playing or for something different maybe relaxing with their families/ pets, or doing a hobby etc.

So if Maynard really likes to dress up as a secret agent and wave a toy gun around that's fine, if not don't bother!

For all of those who don't think this is an issue or is harmless i think you need to look at who these pictures are aimed at.

If the people to whom these are address are middle class, middle aged, women when there is no problem. There is no gun crime problem amongst this part of our society, and they not likley to be influenced into having a gun by these images.

However these images are aimed those likley to be fans of Mr MAYNARD who will largley young urban males, where there is a large gun crime problem.

These pictures, wont change anything ontheir own, but have just become another part of the drip, drip of media influance, movies, tv and music, which is telling young people that it is cool to carry a gun. And as we have seen in our news broadcasts they will and do carry them , and use them !

The current gun culture in this country is not about poverty or inner city deprovation, we have always had them in differing parts of this country without high gun crime, and during times when they were far more guns about than there are now.

Our current gun problem is about certain people making large amounts of money telling our young men that it is ok to carry and use guns, (in my opnion certain rap artists being the main offenders), and Bristol City FC have just joined them. Yes it is no more than a James Bond pastiche (spelling ?) I see that, you see that, but some 14 year old boy in some of the less nice parts of out city sees his hero being cool by holding a gun, and guess what he's going to do to look cool like his hero ..................

For all of those who don't think this is an issue or is harmless i think you need to look at who these pictures are aimed at.

If the people to whom these are address are middle class, middle aged, women when there is no problem. There is no gun crime problem amongst this part of our society, and they not likley to be influenced into having a gun by these images.

However these images are aimed those likley to be fans of Mr MAYNARD who will largley young urban males, where there is a large gun crime problem.

These pictures, wont change anything ontheir own, but have just become another part of the drip, drip of media influance, movies, tv and music, which is telling young people that it is cool to carry a gun. And as we have seen in our news broadcasts they will and do carry them , and use them !

The current gun culture in this country is not about poverty or inner city deprovation, we have always had them in differing parts of this country without high gun crime, and during times when they were far more guns about than there are now.

Our current gun problem is about certain people making large amounts of money telling our young men that it is ok to carry and use guns, (in my opnion certain rap artists being the main offenders), and Bristol City FC have just joined them. Yes it is no more than a James Bond pastiche (spelling ?) I see that, you see that, but some 14 year old boy in some of the less nice parts of out city sees his hero being cool by holding a gun, and guess what he's going to do to look cool like his hero ..................

Yet you feel it's fine to teach youngsters how to shoot guns for sport.

Yet you feel it's fine to teach youngsters how to shoot guns for sport.

Yes, if they are tought to respect them, what they can do, and therefore use them safely. No different to a marshal art. The most important part of teaching a marshal art is to show that is is not for going out and bashing someone's head in. It's about self control and respect for other people before teaching any fighting technique.

It's not about the gun, it's about the person who uses it. A gun is a serious item and needs treating as such. It is not a fashion statement. Unfortunatley there are a lot of people making shed loads of money out of computer games, movies, music etc who are happy to present firearms as no more than this, and hang any consequences.

We cannot dis-invent the gun. It has been with us for a very long time. We can either teach the next generation what they are for and to use them properly, in a controlled way which is respectful, and does not harm other people. Or we can leave it to a bunch of movie, music and game makers getting rich off showing our kids that it's ok to go blatting off at anything that moves.

You would never leave it to a Hollywood movie to teach a 17 year old how to drive, so why would you leave it to them to teach them about guns.

Um, this photoshoot had about 6/7 pages in a issue of Well Red last season, I don't remember a single complaint. So, why all this outrage now simply because they're online for purchase? :noexpression:

I am an exile living in London and I have not seen these pictures before, so I have just visited the BCFC pics website to buy a picture as a present.

It's an important point you have raised; Well Red's readership is what probably about 10k? These images are now on the internet and in the public domain portraying one of our players...

As I have said before, I am not over reacting - I just think it is a strange photoshoot for a club to make and offered it out for debate.

Wow, a striker is in fancy dress pretending to be James Bond - move on!

It's not really the one that is posed 'Bondesque'... Or the photo's of Maynard with a suit on... It's the one with Nicky looking straight down the gun!

I just think in today's climate, BCFC should have asked themselves "really, are these the most sensible photo's to be publishing?" "Is this an image one of our players should be portraying?" I think if anyone can say yes they are, then they are a few good clowns short of a circus...

I have read all of the points raised and I dont think people are over reacting, I think that the club/media dept etc should have had more sense than to pose a player with a gun. Those who have then made jokes over it must never have had to deal with the aftermath of gun crime, if they did they would relise why this was a stuipd thig to do.

Maynard is dressed up as James Bond for Christ's sake! James Bond's picture is synonomous with carrying a gun throughout the world, therefore what is the problem? If anyone thinks the likes of Rhys Jones' vile, deprived killer was influenced by a picture such as Maynard's, then they can't live in the real world, even a Police Officer, because these people are influenced by the equally vile people around them and by rappers who glamourise the carrying and use of guns and not by a fun picture of someone like Nicky Maynard dressed up as James Bond. Lets get some perspective please.

Now I am not one that usually rides the PC bandwagon, however pictures of Nicky Maynard; posing with a gun available to buy?

Nicky Maynard with Gun

Nicky Maynard is a role model for many young children, especially young black children on what can be acheived through hard work.

Maybe there is a reason for them other than some obscure 'James Bond' link that I am unaware of? Who knows... Although I do think these are in poor taste.

Maybe I am over reacting?! :noexpression:

i don't think you are.

bad taste, city should know better. :disapointed2se:

I think BCFC should publish a picture of Hartley tending to a puppy with an injured paw.

Or Lee Johnson wrestling a Grizzly Bear.

Although he is holding a knife in one of his portrait shots....... so cue another host of over-reactive posts.

Maynard is dressed up as James Bond for Christ's sake! James Bond's picture is synonomous with carrying a gun throughout the world, therefore what is the problem? If anyone thinks the likes of Rhys Jones' vile, deprived killer was influenced by a picture such as Maynard's, then they can't live in the real world, even a Police Officer, because these people are influenced by the equally vile people around them and by rappers who glamourise the carrying and use of guns and not by a fun picture of someone like Nicky Maynard dressed up as James Bond. Lets get some perspective please.

I agree with you if you take these pictures on their own. However they have just joined a drip, drip from a lot of media influences giving the wrong message about guns.

A young man living in a run down area, who sees guns being glamourised by this computer games, movies, tv , music, and now his football club, and without strong parental influences to tell him otherwise, who also sees other young males in his area sporting a gun like a trophy...these are the sort of people who end up killing...not deprived monsters.

If they wanted him to look like James BOND stick him in front of an Aston Martin !

I think the reason this has stuck in my personal claw so much, is that football is meant to be something that keeps young working class men away from crime and alike.

Thats not strictly true.

I do think people are overreacting a tad here.

Perhaps but consider this; There was a youngster walking around Brighton a week ago with a Crystal Palace shirt on pointing a toy gun at shoppers. he pointed it at me and mockingly i suggested he should not shoot a Bristol City fan which of course he then did and water hit my face... fun yes and i laughed although not everyone would clearly. I asked him what the connection was with a gun and Crystal Palace and he said 'cos ... and he mentioned a palace player whom i cannot remember... was photographed with one.. and he thought it was groovy.

Maynard has been ill informed here and these photos need to be removed smartish. people on here are smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong clearly but many people out there do not as hard as that maybe to believe.

Is it for charity? Is it Nicky's nickname? Does Maynard wear the number 7 shirt? or even the 007 shirt? Are there any other photoshoots in the world BCFC could have done? Or have we exhausted them all?

I just think somebody at BCFC, who is probably paid a healthy sum for the marketing of th BCFC brand and players before, should have thought "hold on a second..."

It's all about an image the individual wishes to portray and I am also surprised that Maynard was chosen for this photoshoot.

I mean really, what is the difference here if we said "50 Cent was only joking..."?

albumguesswhosback.jpg

mediastorehouse1322241.jpg

Maybe I am getting old... :innocent06:

I agree with you if you take these pictures on their own. However they have just joined a drip, drip from a lot of media influences giving the wrong message about guns.

A young man living in a run down area, who sees guns being glamourised by this computer games, movies, tv , music, and now his football club, and without strong parental influences to tell him otherwise, who also sees other young males in his area sporting a gun like a trophy...these are the sort of people who end up killing...not deprived monsters.

If they wanted him to look like James BOND stick him in front of an Aston Martin !

I think the reason this has stuck in my personal claw so much, is that football is meant to be something that keeps young working class men away from crime and alike.

Or with a stupidly hot chick... exactly my point!

I don't know if anyone's already mentioned this but as rubbish as these photos are they're quite obviously playing on the fact that Maynard is supposed to be a 'lethal' and 'dangerous' striker. It's not like they've just dressed him as some kind of assasin just to look like a badass. It's themed photoshoot. Roll on tomorrow so you guys have something worthwhile to moan about.

I take everything you say on board but i just can't agree that the harmless photos of Maynard posing as James Bond are going to have an influence anyone to carry a gun even with the drip, drip effect. They just aren't the type of photos that would do that as people will relate more to the 'James Bond' theme than the glamourisation of guns.

By the way, i abhor the way that rappers DO glamourise guns, so i wouldn't consider myself ignorant on this subject.

Is it for charity? Is it Nicky's nickname? Does Maynard wear the number 7 shirt? or even the 007 shirt? Are there any other photoshoots in the world BCFC could have done? Or have we exhausted them all?

I just think somebody at BCFC, who is probably paid a healthy sum for the marketing of th BCFC brand and players before, should have thought "hold on a second..."

It's all about an image the individual wishes to portray and I am also surprised that Maynard was chosen for this photoshoot.

I mean really, what is the difference here if we said "50 Cent was only joking..."?albumguesswhosback.jpg

mediastorehouse1322241.jpg

Maybe I am getting old... :innocent06:

The difference being that Nicky Maynard is an all round good lad who brought his Mum along when he signed his contract with City and 50 cent is a vicious thug who is intimately familiar with gun crime.

If you think that the two pictures tell the same story then i am shocked.

The difference being that Nicky Maynard is an all round good lad who brought his Mum along when he signed his contract with City and 50 cent is a vicious thug who is intimately familiar with gun crime.

If you think that the two pictures tell the same story then i am shocked.

All I am saying is take the two photo's at face value. The average 10/11 year old is unlikely to realise the differences that you outlined, in that Maynard is "a nice man who brought his mother along..."

He or she will see 50 cent carrying a gun, and Bristol City's Nicky Maynard carrying a gun. It's that simple.

Archived