IGNORED

Bcfc Pics

Lordofthebling

I don't know if anyone's already mentioned this but as rubbish as these photos are they're quite obviously playing on the fact that Maynard is supposed to be a 'lethal' and 'dangerous' striker. It's not like they've just dressed him as some kind of assasin just to look like a badass. It's themed photoshoot. Roll on tomorrow so you guys have something worthwhile to moan about.

Why would 3 points give me something to moan about?! :fingerscrossed:

Guest MaloneFM
Man misuses gun, other man dies, colour of skin irrelevent !

Indeed so sir, my point is that the film poster for Mr and Mrs Smith showed Brangelina toting firepower. And was slapped on buses. And nothing was said or done.

But young Fiddly here shows a shooter in a similar context ie to flog his album or whatever and the right wingers begin wetting themselves. I personally thing its a bad idea to have anyone waving around shooters to show how 'deadly' they are.

Especially footballers.

All I am saying is take the two photo's at face value. The average 10/11 year old is unlikely to realise the differences that you outlined, in that Maynard is "a nice man who brought his mother along..."

He or she will see 50 cent carrying a gun, and Bristol City's Nicky Maynard carrying a gun. It's that simple.

If all he or she sees is both of them carrying a gun and they couldn't differentiate between the James Bond theme and the Gangster theme, then there would be no hope for them anyway in my opinion. Essentially we are saying that the next James Bond movie shouldn't be advertised on TV or, lets say, our matchday programme for fear of influencing our young people to use guns? It's a ludicrous sanitisation of our world if we are.

If all he or she sees is both of them carrying a gun and they couldn't differentiate between the James Bond theme and the Gangster theme, then there would be no hope for them anyway in my opinion. Essentially we are saying that the next James Bond movie shouldn't be advertised on TV or, lets say, our matchday programme for fear of influencing our young people to use guns? It's a ludicrous sanitisation of our world if we are.

I agree with your last point and it is sad. This is the reason why I am so confused that Maynard has been portrayed in this way by the marketing department at BCFC. With today's climate and media interest in anything involving guns or knives - why didnt BCFC play safe and choose another style of photoshoot?

Surely someone at the club must have thought people might not like this?!

I strongly doubt there are many football clubs or companies that would choose this as a campaign. They would play safe.

So, it's acceptable for youngsters to play with guns, but not for Nicky Maynard to dress up as James Bond?

Exactly, if he'd been holding a Martini (shaken, not stirred, of course...), would people have been complaining about the awful effects of drink and how that is having a bad influence on children? I doubt it, even though alcohol is a far bigger killer than guns in this country!

I agree with your last point and it is sad. This is the reason why I am so confused that Maynard has been portrayed in this way by the marketing department at BCFC. With today's climate and media interest in anything involving guns or knives - why didnt BCFC play safe and choose another style of photoshoot?

Surely someone at the club must have thought people might not like this?!

I strongly doubt there are many football clubs or companies that would choose this as a campaign. They would play safe.

Perhaps in hindsight City will be regretful, but i doubt when choosing the Bond theme that the organiser of the shoot had any idea that it would be influential to any youngster towards carrying a gun. Yes there is big media coverage towards gun and knife crime, but surely a shoot of this type with this theme is not really glamourising gun crime when he's dressed in a suit with a gert big smile on his face?!

If they had dressed Maynard up as a gangster with a gun then i would join you in saying they'd got it all wrong, but not dressed as Bond.

Blimey, you look at the photos in last seasons programmes, and before you know it we'll have the "PC" brigade complaining that a firework sparkler was photographed in a manner that was far too dangerous, or a Santa Claus outfit whereby a young kiddie could choke on fibres from a false beard.

We might even have a case of ink poisioning if somebody tries to re-create Marvin's body paint City shirt!

Maynard was doing a James Bond re-enactment, people need to stop blowing this way out of proportion. Anybody could see the photoshoot wasn't encouraging guns, in the same way it wasn't encouraging us all to dress up in black tie.

There's a lot worse in this World that are bad influences compared to those photos and I suggest people concentrate on other issues rather than knit-picking for the sake of it.

I think people are being ridiculous about this.

Do people think these kids are not playing video games like GTA on a daily basis, which is basically about being paid to kill other pepole and stealing cars etc...

Also do you not think they are watching violent films day in day out. Because they are. (not saying every single youngster, just in general.)

I will agree this isn't a particularly smart move by the club (even though it was what, 7 months ago?) but no kid is going to see this picture and want to instantly posess a gun and murder people.

There are MUCH, MUCH worse influences on kids than a picture of NM dressed as James Bond - a character many children love and find 'cool'.

I appreciate gun crime is a sensitive issue, and i will say again this isn't a particularly smart move by the club, but I dont think this is the 'disgrace' that its being branded as.

Oh well, lets hope NM doesn't read this forum :blush:

Man misuses gun, other man dies, colour of skin irrelevent !

Unless you work for the police and the other fellow has Brazilian colour skin. In which case that justifies the killing (especially if he's texting suspiciously on a bus) :noexpression:

I think that the club and Maynard were ill-advised to do this photoshoot.

...not the best choice of photo-'shoot' imo, hardly relevant subject/image matter - wheres the connection between 007 & football (with or without a firearm) ? .......... I'm neither shaken or stirred tbh but in this day & age it does seem a silly if not foolish choice of image.

....it's hardly likely to help GJ in his search for a 'target' man :noexpression: either!!!

listen Eddie, I have had a handgun pointed at me by some little **** and his gang mates in Easton, they no doubt thought they were in da hood in one of their videogames, (i was so suprised I told him to '**** off' though, not he desired effect I suspect)

if this was meant to be a stylish photoshoot, imitating the style of james Bond then there are better ways to acheive it. As it is we have a young guy waving a cheap handgun around who is meant to be a role model to younger lads, the club promote their players as such. it's at best plain stupid to do this and highly questionable.

would you pose a player with a knife?

it's not being prudish to question this.

Yes, that would make a difference.

The only guns I've ever seen at close quarters are army open days and police in ariports.

Yes, that would make a difference.

The only guns I've ever seen at close quarters are army open days and police in ariports.

Good point !, I just these complainers about the Maynard photo will try to get the Army demostrations removed from half-time entertainment. After all, they're not just encouraging guns, but grenades, smoke bombs and warfare !

Archived