IGNORED

Sky Sports News

Before work this morning I was watching SSN as per, Tony Gale was doing his preview of the championship and was highlighting what a tough physical league it was and how the "alledged" primadonnas at the likes of Newcastle and Boro are in for a shock. He talked briefly about the importance of strengrth up top and used Ched Evans as an eg of a striker capable of "leading the line".

I don't usually take note of what Mr Gale has to say, however I found myself asking the question of how we will cope offensively and defensively (especially from set pieces without the services of a "target man" or big one up top? in what is essentially for all its finnese a physical league.

The lack of a replacement for Adebola worries me and the idea of a being a tad one dimensional in our offensive outlook is something that IMHO could see us be the difference between a mid table team and one pushing for the play offs?

the difference between a mid table team and one pushing for the play offs AND a relegation dogfight.

A striker who can hold the ball up is vital at Championship level, Maynard can't do the job, unsure about Clarkson & Haynes.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A 7 FOOT LUMP, Leroy Lita is a perfect example of a small player that can do the job.

Glynn Riley & Steve Neville struggled at the higher level when they played together.

BCAGFC

From what I've seen so far of Clarkson he looks more than capable of coming deep, holding up the ball and releasing either Maynard or Haynes. When we played Wolves him and Andy Keogh were doing exactly the same sort of thing coming back to the centre circle to link the play and as long as he sticks to this and provides the outlet we'll be fine.

A striker who can hold the ball up is vital at Championship level, Maynard can't do the job, unsure about Clarkson & Haynes.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A 7 FOOT LUMP, Leroy Lita is a perfect example of a small player that can do the job.

Glynn Riley & Steve Neville struggled at the higher level when they played together.

BCAGFC

I take solace in the fact that we were top of this league before Adebola arrived

i bet it was better than talksport this morning boro, newcastle, sheff u, derby, cardiff, west brom, florists, leicester, preston and peterborough all got a mention not a sausage about are chances

...same with the championship preview on 5live..they spoke about the ccc for an hour and no mntionat all.

It suits me....it means that bcfc are yet again under the radar...and I really dont believe that crapdiff, qpr, preston, pborough, leicester, newcastle will finish above.

How many club in the PL or top teams in Eurpoe play with a target man? Not many.

Why? because its low percentage and most of the time gives the ball away. Its simple.

Why then should City use a target man? Why not try and play football as the game is supposed to be played? City now have players capable of stringing passes together and along with the new pace in the team could prove to be a succesfull combination.

I don't buy that the CCC is more combative than the PL or La Liga and thats why teams a bruiser up front. Pass and movement is just as damaging when done at pace.

Football when played properly is a beautifull game but all hoofing the ball foward does is strip the game of that beauty.

Guest ashtonyate
From what I've seen so far of Clarkson he looks more than capable of coming deep, holding up the ball and releasing either Maynard or Haynes. When we played Wolves him and Andy Keogh were doing exactly the same sort of thing coming back to the centre circle to link the play and as long as he sticks to this and provides the outlet we'll be fine.

We got enough players who can playing deep its some who can play on there back line and hold the ball up we haven't got, the only player that could do that job is Mccome and then that,s desperation stakes.

...same with the championship preview on 5live..they spoke about the ccc for an hour and no mntionat all.

It suits me....it means that bcfc are yet again under the radar...and I really dont believe that crapdiff, qpr, preston, pborough, leicester, newcastle will finish above.

yeah dont get me wrong going in under the radar is the best way to have it no pressure on us from the media is a good thing but i thought me may have got a mention especially with the beard signing for us

How many club in the PL or top teams in Eurpoe play with a target man? Not many.

Why? because its low percentage and most of the time gives the ball away. Its simple.

Why then should City use a target man? Why not try and play football as the game is supposed to be played? City now have players capable of stringing passes together and along with the new pace in the team could prove to be a succesfull combination.

I don't buy that the CCC is more combative than the PL or La Liga and thats why teams a bruiser up front. Pass and movement is just as damaging when done at pace.

Football when played properly is a beautifull game but all hoofing the ball foward does is strip the game of that beauty.

True.

Liverpool seem to have managed without Crouch.

I think we will be alright actually. if we bring someone in all well and good golf bag style and all that and if not fine; i always find if in doubt use the 5 iron.

True.

Liverpool seem to have managed without Crouch.

I think we will be alright actually. if we bring someone in all well and good golf bag style and all that and if not fine; i always find if in doubt use the 5 iron.

Agree with that, although I prefer the 6 iron :rolleyes:

That's not exactly what is being said though.

We are all against playing a lower standard of hoofing the ball up towards a big man up front to flick on, however it is imperative our forwards are also able to play with their backs to goal and link up with the midfield.

If you want to talk about the Premier League, then Drogba, Berbatov and Adebayor were players for the top 4 last season and all can play with their back to goal and keep the ball.

It is no good for us stringing lovely midfield moves together if our only option is trying to get our forwards in behind, as teams will read it early and stop it.

People generally get confused with a target man just being a big man up front to win headers when in reality it can be any player big or small who can get their backside between the opponent and the ball and keep possession. It's possible our players will be able to do that anyway, but I haven't seen nearly enough to judge.

yeah dont get me wrong going in under the radar is the best way to have it no pressure on us from the media is a good thing but i thought me may have got a mention especially with the beard signing for us

Not a mention either from the tosser Beagrie on his Championship preview, then again he only talks shite most of the time anyway, saying that though Sky makes amends with an interview, the Beard talking about our chances this season.

Good example would be Ajax? very short forwards

Funny; we have Adebola and everyone complains that we always hoof it to him and neglect to play proper football.

Then we sign a couple of strikers who have pace and seem to be trying to play 'proper' football and the club still get battered for it.

One of many "damned if he does; damned if he doesn't" scenarios some people seem to be setting up for GJ in the last few days before the season; Clearly some people are building their "I told you so..." arguments up early this year in case of failure.

God forbid any positive thoughts on the eve of the new season.

And anyway; if it's just another 'club in the bag' people are looking for then what the hell is John Akinde? He's meant ot be Ade's natural replacement, maybe now is his time.

Before work this morning I was watching SSN as per, Tony Gale was doing his preview of the championship and was highlighting what a tough physical league it was and how the "alledged" primadonnas at the likes of Newcastle and Boro are in for a shock. He talked briefly about the importance of strengrth up top and used Ched Evans as an eg of a striker capable of "leading the line".

I don't usually take note of what Mr Gale has to say, however I found myself asking the question of how we will cope offensively and defensively (especially from set pieces without the services of a "target man" or big one up top? in what is essentially for all its finnese a physical league.

The lack of a replacement for Adebola worries me and the idea of a being a tad one dimensional in our offensive outlook is something that IMHO could see us be the difference between a mid table team and one pushing for the play offs?

We don't NEED a lump up front.

If one doesn't come in we can still compete. With the team we have we can beat anyone in this league I'm sure as is GJ, his backroom, Basso and Mr Lansdown.

The formation we play suits without a big striker as the ball isn't 'hoofed', the ball is played short across the park (3 central) to create chances. Pacey & hard working strikers (which is what we have a few of) fit the bill perfectly to be fed diagonal and through the middle. I expect that if we did get a big man up front then our 'system' will change to suit the options we have on the field.

The one less thing we may not have so much is aerial threat from set pieces, McCombe may have slipped down the order.

As for Tony Gale, I never listen to him anymore he is an utter **** shaft and speaks crap to try and justify his most probable ridiculous pay package. I don't think he stays in touch with football at all levels unlike Peter Beagrie for example who does have good points and justification in opinion. He seems to be keeping an eye on the football league as a whole.

So if Peter Beagrie was doing it, then it'll be well worth the watch, as for Tony i don't have a clue Gale...Pfft

For me it is quite simple,you play to your strengths.At the moment,city have no "Big man" up top,so we need to play the ball to feet or behind when the oppurtunity arises.The question for me is,do our players up top have the sense to find space in between the oppositons midfield and defenders? This is one aspect that worries me about Maynard,his movement does need improving,with regards dropping into the "whole" and receiving the ball(something that a certain other striker was very good at! I'll leave that there!).Haynes is possibly very similar in that regards,but to be fair ive only seen him 2-3 times.Another thing that worries me is Clarkson playing in the "whole" or as the "link player" if you want,im not knocking him at all,I just dont think that is his position,as he seems to struggle to get on the ball and find space.I can see that he works hard,but surely this position is more than that? When ive seen him play up top,he does seem to be able to play up top and get hold of the ball quite well,so maybe he could do the "big mans" job quite well.If we play the right way,i can really see the forwards weve got scoring goals for us. :fingerscrossed:

barcelona dont have very many big 'lumps' up front do they? do arsenal now adebayor has gone? I think its a blessing that adebola has gone and think we are going see some 'sexy ' football. come on you reds.

cannot wait for tomorrow :)

yes but we haven't got xabi, ineiesta, messi, fabregas, arshavin etc...

Funny; we have Adebola and everyone complains that we always hoof it to him and neglect to play proper football.

Then we sign a couple of strikers who have pace and seem to be trying to play 'proper' football and the club still get battered for it.

One of many "damned if he does; damned if he doesn't" scenarios some people seem to be setting up for GJ in the last few days before the season; Clearly some people are building their "I told you so..." arguments up early this year in case of failure.

And anyway; if it's just another 'club in the bag' people are looking for then what the hell is John Akinde? He's meant ot be Ade's natural replacement, maybe now is his time.

Akinde will be the man this year I think.

you don't need experience to push people off the ball and rough up centre backs. Ok, he might give away more free kicks than Adebola, but he'll be alot quicker to chase after those balls.

Some interesting comments and some unbelievable naivety.

I am not going to say we have no chance of going up with this squad, however I would be far happier to have that extra CLUB IN THE BAG, it gives us more options offensively and gives us more aerial presence from set pieces, which we have not been that great at defending in the past.

I am not advocating hoof ball, just an option in case our one offensive option fails.

All valid points, however how useful is a big man defending set pieces and shielding the ball for the last 5-10 mins of a game, my personal view is that we need someone with some physical presence, without it we could be well looked upon as a bit one one D.

I think you are spot on and it has worried me all summer.What makes it more annoying is GJ stated he was looking to replace Dele.It seems pretty poor that if that was a priority GJ has been unable to do this in three months.

Not everybody complained about Adebola. It's true that the CCC is a very physical league, and having an Adebola-type player in the team is definitely a plus, not a minus.

And is Akinde really Adebola's "natural replacement"? Has anybody at the club actually said that?

Akinde will be the man this year I think.

you don't need experience to push people off the ball and rough up centre backs. Ok, he might give away more free kicks than Adebola, but he'll be alot quicker to chase after those balls.

I've never yet seen Akinde do anything worthwhile. At Yeovil he was dire - if that is his normal standard he will never be in the first eleven in this league.

Not everybody complained about Adebola. It's true that the CCC is a very physical league, and having an Adebola-type player in the team is definitely a plus, not a minus.

And is Akinde really Adebola's "natural replacement"? Has anybody at the club actually said that?

Did I say anyone at the club had said that?

It has been suggested on here and in the media (and maybe by the club, although I don't know) that Akinde could be a similar player, likely simply due to his height and build, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him, so that might be miles off. Apologies if I'd framed that as a fact; not intentional.

I actually agree, a target man would be an good addition and they'll be times when we need one. But getting preoccupied with it seems bizarre with the options we now have up top.

What I was attempting to point out, at the expense pity party being held by the 'Gloom Patrol', is that a fair bit of this 'concern' stinks of exactly the type of hypocrisy those looking for any chance possible to knock the management love to indulge in.

Target man up front = we are one dimensional and unimaginative.

No Target man up front = we are lacking options and are weak.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Some wouldn't have it any other way.

Did I say anyone at the club had said that?

It has been suggested on here and in the media (and maybe by the club, although I don't know) that Akinde could be a similar player, likely simply due to his height and build, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him, so that might be miles off. Apologies if I'd framed that as a fact; not intentional.

I actually agree, a target man would be an good addition and they'll be times when we need one. But getting preoccupied with it seems bizarre with the options we now have up top.

What I was attempting to point out, at the expense pity party being held by the 'Gloom Patrol', is that a fair bit of this 'concern' stinks of exactly the type of hypocrisy those looking for any chance possible to knock the management love to indulge in.

Target man up front = we are one dimensional and unimaginative.

No Target man up front = we are lacking options and are weak.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Some wouldn't have it any other way.

Fair points, but isn't it true that losing Adebola and not replacing him with a similar type of player has actually reduced our options up top? Trundle has been frozen out as well, so that's a further reduction in our options.

What do we do if the Preston defence have got Maynard and Clarkson in their pockets tomorrow? What's plan b?

Archived