IGNORED

David Clarkson's Strengths/weaknesses?

Ison

I'm not going to judge the guy for few games yet but I saw him in a couple of the preseason games - most recently vs. Wycombe - and can't say that I was hugely impressed. There's no denying he did well to get the goal but he seemed to struggle to get the ball under control and I was never confident in his ability to make something happen when he had the ball at his feet. Again i'm not saying he's a poor player by any stretch of the imagination as it's far to early to draw any conclusions but I was just curious as to whether anyone who was a bit more familiar with him could fill me in on a) what his strengths are and b) any shortcomings in his game. Thanks.

I'm not going to judge the guy for few games yet but I saw him in a couple of the preseason games - most recently vs. Wycombe - and can't say that I was hugely impressed.

Sorry but isn't that judging him ?

Lets wait until the season starts and see them in the games that matter before passing judgement on any of the new players .

I've heard everyone of the new players being criticised by different people on this forum before a ball is kicked in anger..

i,m a cabbie and do a lot of work with scots in the area. the general thinking is that clarkson has a great future ahead of him they are gutted that he left scotland and even more gutted that when he came south did,nt go in tha prem. if we give him service will score goals.

i,m a cabbie and do a lot of work with scots in the area. the general thinking is that clarkson has a great future ahead of him they are gutted that he left scotland and even more gutted that when he came south did,nt go in tha prem. if we give him service will score goals.

You going tomorrow Dragon ? If you are i wondered how much it would be in your taxi ;)

Roll on tomorrow so you guys have something worthwhile to moan about.

I'm not going to judge the guy for few games yet but I saw him in a couple of the preseason games - most recently vs. Wycombe - and can't say that I was hugely impressed.

You mention about us moaning in the other thread, however we are moaning over here before a ball has even been kicked! :innocent06:

Back to the topic, I work with a Motherwell fan who has said all along that Clarkson is a predator who has all the attributes to do well in this league. A bit of a confidence player apparently, so with plenty of support and once he has found his feet - he should score plenty!

I was in Spain when we signed him, asked a load of jocks (in a jock bar) and they were all amazed that he'd gone to us instead of a 'big' team. But on saying that, Lee Miller was highly rated and what a flop he turned out to be!

So far, from the very few bits I've seen of him he looks a half-decent signing, time will tell though!

The problem is, is that at Motherwell he was played as an out and out striker, while here he looks like being deployed "in the hole" behind the front two. He may well have been a great player up front in the Scottish Prem. but that can't be compared to his role now. That said, I have been very unimpressed with him so far, and I sensed that the crowd were beginning to get on his back a little against Wycombe, just before he popped up with that great headed goal.

I think he'll turn out a good signing.

He reminds me of Brooker; strong but not a target man and with poacher's instincts. Also he works hard for the side without it compromising his game, something some strikers struggle with.

Let's not forget that he's got around 250 competitive games (mostly in the SPL) under his belt at only 24, so all this 'lack of experience' talk is a little ill informed.

Talking to my Scottish football friends, he says Clarkson plays best off a big man. Likes to drop deep or wide.

?

He's never played next to a traditional 'big man'; his best football was played in a front three with Ross McCormack and Chris Porter (both mobile, creative forwards) in a front three, so not sure where the big man thing comes from. When paired with John Sutton last year (a more traditional target man) he looked less effective and improved when Sheridan (a quick, skillful forward) arrived on loan.

Guest Red Nee Tot
I was told by a few Celtic and hibs fans

that Clarkson plays very much like peter beardsley

scores his fair share of goals but also sets up a fair few

Steve -- You must have been on the Stella again. Clarkson is nothing like Peter Beardsley.

Sorry but isn't that judging him ?

You mention about us moaning in the other thread, however we are moaning over here before a ball has even been kicked! :innocent06:

Did you only read the first sentence of my original post? Thanks to those who've contributed some info about the guy.

?

He's never played next to a traditional 'big man'; his best football was played in a front three with Ross McCormack and Chris Porter (both mobile, creative forwards) in a front three, so not sure where the big man thing comes from. When paired with John Sutton last year (a more traditional target man) he looked less effective and improved when Sheridan (a quick, skillful forward) arrived on loan.

John Sutton is 6 foot 2 - I'd say that's pretty big. And i was told he played well with Sutton. All about opinions I guess.

seems a good signing to me, scored a good glancing header against Wycombe and scored a fair few in pre-season.

Have a mate who's had a st at Motherwell for 9 years and said he was very much a fan favourite because of the passion and love he has for the game and the pure drive he has to every game.

First few games will tell us all I'm sure :englandsmile4wf::fingerscrossed:

Guest howred

he's in my texaco dream team lads, he's my wildcard, expecting big things from mr clarkson, gotta real feeling he's gonna be class, COME ONxx

i think it will take him at least a season to find his feet and if were patient with him think he could turn into a half tidy player but think he will struggle this season

Didn't take McCormack a season to settle and Clarkson scored more playing in the same team.

Glad everyone is so unsure about him; will hopefully give him the chance to really impress.

I'm not going to judge the guy for few games yet but I saw him in a couple of the preseason games - most recently vs. Wycombe - and can't say that I was hugely impressed. There's no denying he did well to get the goal but he seemed to struggle to get the ball under control and I was never confident in his ability to make something happen when he had the ball at his feet. Again i'm not saying he's a poor player by any stretch of the imagination as it's far to early to draw any conclusions but I was just curious as to whether anyone who was a bit more familiar with him could fill me in on a) what his strengths are and b) any shortcomings in his game. Thanks.

:disapointed2se: 2-0 Clarkson, ye of little faith!!

He played well off the front two I thought...and linked the play well.

He took his chance well...from right behind the keeper as he struck it it didn't look as though there was any luck in the goal...finished as cool as you like.

Impressive league debut.

Clarkson, Haynes and Maynard look a promising attacking partnership. Looking forward to seeing more of them this season.

We may lack a club in the bag by not having a big target man - but at least without one we keep the ball on the ground.

Archived