IGNORED

The Future Is Now

fka dagest

It's closing in on 2010.

I was watching Blade Runner last night and it made me think about my past views of what the future would be like.

Like most people my impressions of any future were largely couloured by visions contained in sci-fi films, books etc.

Man had already visited the moon regularly before I was born.

Anyway, In my childish naivety of the 80s I imagined that 2010, would be a time of moonbases, Mars exploration, space cars etc.

It hasn't turned out like that.

How will things be in 2040? Any thoughts?

City still succumbing to dodgy 96th minute penalties?

We'll see another moon mission followed by a trip to mars. There are plans for a base on the moon, the next moon mission will be proof of concept to go to mars as well as checking for hydrogen to supply water to sustain the base.

I only know this because I like watching the russian news and they get excited about it.

We can already break the sound barrier, maybe 1 day we'll find away of going faster than light too. The human race is only young in the sheme of things, imagine what we can achieve.

I go with the Quatermass view:

a dystopian near future where civilisation is staggering inexorably towards total breakdown. Fossil fuels are running out, law and order has given way to thoughtless and utter lawlessness where violent street gangs, christened the Badders, are battling it out behind the makeshift barricades, while the impotent remains of the once great superpowers bicker and squander precious resources on a pointlessly hopeless space project.

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/quatermass.htm

Enjoy the present. We have an energy crisis coming.

This is a modern-day ghost town, Soto del Henares, south of Madrid. At least you won't be troubled by noisy neighbours.

Guest MaloneFM

Where's my flying car?

Where's my holiday on the moon?

Where's my all silver suit that we wear?

Where are the Jetsons?

Where are my trousers?

30 years ago and I never thought back then that we would have personal phones that you could carry in yer pocket. The internet was simply unimaginable. Recordable TV was also yet to be developed. I don't know how we ever got by.

I did think that we'd all be travelling in flying cars in flight lanes but maybe that was a chemically induced thought.

Archived