IGNORED

Attacking With Pace

The Batman

I was at Preston on Saturday, and was very impressed with our team. the 3-4-3 formation was a bit dodgy at times but it changed to 4-4-2 a few times during the game.

But what stuck out for me, which I aint said about City for a while, is that when we got the ball, we attacked very directly at the defence with pace. Haynes, Maynard and Clackson all looked very good, and with Hartley and Elliot providing the creativity.

We have in the last few seasons lumped it up to the likes of Adebola & John, who have held it up and waiting for the support.

But a number of times, the forwards came short, turned and ran at the defence, and my preston uni mate was also impressed with our team.

I know we have sproule who is very quick but on saturday, he just didn't look interested when he came on.

We should stick with the 3 up front though.

any thoughts??

For me exactly what was needed and the strategy is spot on. We had gone as far as we could with the players and approach we had (which was right for establishing us in the CCC and worked), something GJ recognised without needing my expert advice, damn him. :disapointed2se: The pattern is similar to the gradual evolution under Alan Dicks, though these days in more challenging circumstances as AD didn't face the gulf that exists now between the top two divisions.

Fair play to Johnson. He could have stuck with the same game plan of the last two seasons and bought similar players to what we had. We'd have finished mid table ish and i'd still be happy. By bringing in Haynes it means we have two quick strikers upfront and got Akinde on the bench who ain't no slouch. Although Sproule rarely has an end product, i'd hate to be an opposing player 2-0 down and having to defend against someone of his pace when i'm knackered.

Ask any defender, at any level what they dislike playing against most and they will tell you 'pace'. Thats what made Thierry Henry such a great player. Lineker had pace to burn as did Michael Owen.

Add to pace to direct running and you have the potential to cause havoc amongst most CCC defences. Teams don't need a target man when you have players with the ability to run at pace with the ball. The common factor is having support from your co-strikers and midfield.

I wasn't at Preston so am looking forward to Saturdays game. It will be a delight to see some proper football instead of the excessive long ball use we saw last season.

Guest ashtonyate

Its great attacking with pace exciting hard to defend against.The other side of the story is we were playing away on Saturday and home teams try to attack you.

When you play at home its a different most teams play two banks of four across the back then its a totally different game they try to catch you on the break.

Without A big man up front to hold the ball up you have a one string bow attack we need to have a big man option in the squad or teams will just smother our attack,there he goes again being negative

When you play at home its a different most teams play two banks of four across the back then its a totally different game they try to catch you on the break.

Without A big man up front to hold the ball up you have a one string bow attack we need to have a big man option in the squad or teams will just smother our attack,there he goes again being negative

In Div 1 most teams came to AG and played with 8 or 9 men behind the ball but how many team have done that at AG in the last two seasons?

In the CCC most games are open and full of attacking intent. Its not often you see a 0-0 bore draw.

I would disagree that having pace as your main attacking option is a 'one string bow'. Maynard is more of a poacher than a speed merchant and Clarkson isn't lightening quick but can still score goals. Its Haynes and Sproule that have the pace but the difference is that Haynes can produce with the ball at pace whereas Sproule rarely finds a team mate.

Don't overlook midfield either.Elliot is always a goal threat especially around the edge of the box and at set plays. Hartley bagged a few for Celtic and Williams also scores the odd goal or two. Even Orr gets 4 or 5 goals a season.

Certainly not a 'one string bow' imo.

I was at Preston on Saturday, and was very impressed with our team. the 3-4-3 formation was a bit dodgy at times but it changed to 4-4-2 a few times during the game.

But what stuck out for me, which I aint said about City for a while, is that when we got the ball, we attacked very directly at the defence with pace. Haynes, Maynard and Clackson all looked very good, and with Hartley and Elliot providing the creativity.

We have in the last few seasons lumped it up to the likes of Adebola & John, who have held it up and waiting for the support.

But a number of times, the forwards came short, turned and ran at the defence, and my preston uni mate was also impressed with our team.

I know we have sproule who is very quick but on saturday, he just didn't look interested when he came on.

any thoughts??

This is very encouraging. The past few years we've been lacking pace and a little cleverness in the final third.

I have been convinced, that if we add those two things, we'll go up....

We've now added that and we'll find out if I'm right.

I'm very excited about this season..

For me that was the most encouraging aspect of our play on Saturday. I can't remember the last time when we played with two pacy strikers up front. It was a refreshing change. After we'd scored our second goal, the steward who was stood directly behind me leaned over and commented that we were playing "bloody good football" which I can't imagine many people saying of last year's team.

Fair play to Johnson. He could have stuck with the same game plan of the last two seasons and bought similar players to what we had. We'd have finished mid table ish and i'd still be happy. By bringing in Haynes it means we have two quick strikers upfront and got Akinde on the bench who ain't no slouch. Although Sproule rarely has an end product, i'd hate to be an opposing player 2-0 down and having to defend against someone of his pace when i'm knackered.

If i was playing against Sproule and I was knackered I would have no fear of letting him go, the stupid sod can't do anything other than run fast, he'll almost always screw up the end product :rolleyes:

However in all seriousness, todays football is all about pace and it is great to see us employing more of it and becoming more dynamic (we hope)

We've always loved pace in the team, couple it with skill and intelligence and it's always going to get us off our seats and strike fear into the opposition.

any thoughts??

Exactly what I noticed. Going forward in the second half, we looked awesome. Haynes will be a real threat. We have two front men who can and will take on defenders and beat them . Now we just need Maynard to stick the ball in the damn net.

I think Sproule looked completely out of his depth when he came on. As far as I'm concerned (not that that means anything because last time I looked I'm not the boss!) he doesn't come close to featuring in our best XI. It's one thing having pace, but you've got to know how to use it to your advantage and have an end product. No point running around like a headless chicken.

It's also worth noting that some of the best goals scored at Ashton Gate last season were scored by sides who hit us on the break, 4 or 5 quick passes, and then goal (Burnley and Reading for example).

For the first time in ages, we had overlapping on the wings, backup in the centre, haynes is the first wide player we've had who can and does beat players since scott murray really and as much of a mcindoe and sproule fan i was that was one thing the pair of them rarely did, mcindoe could lump the ball to a big striker quite accurately, sproule couldn't do that. Hartley-Elliot very strong looking and i would be gutted even though not surprised if boro' came in for him and we sold up. Even Mcallister didn't want to hoof the ball forwards, we're back to a stylish way of playing and it's great to watch.

Does anyone remember when GJ first came to us he kept talking about his aim of playing 'cosmic' football, and towards the end of his first season he was saying we got close to it and and we were nearly there? Well maybe this season we will finally get to see it! I always loved that term 'cosmic' football, we should definately bring it back!

Archived