IGNORED

This Disallowed Pal Arse Goal

DT The Optimist

Thank Warnock for that.

Has openly accused Gary Johnson and our players of lacking sportsmanship on radio and practically let the ref off the hook by suggesting the biggest injustice was us not letting them score.

Funnily enough I don't think a man of Warnock's reputation can say sweet FA about a manager who once allowed Plymouth (I believe...) to score into an open goal against his team because of an unjust occurrence whist Yeovil manager.

The horrible little goblin and that team of thugs, supported by the most unpleasant bunch of moaners can go jump.

That's right. Lee Johnson scored for Yeovil in a Carling Cup tie against Plymouth when he was just trying to lob the ball back to their keeper following an injury stoppage. GJ told the Yeovil players to let Plymouth score to make up for it and got some sort of sportsmanship award for the gesture.

Not sure if this was what was in the back of Warnock's mind today but it wouldn't have suited him to point out that GJ has a history of being fair-minded.

As a ref, I will try and clear up a few things. As I understand it the 'goal' was disallowed because the ref wasn't sure (I watched his body language). The assistant then raised his flag, and my guess is that he thought it hit a post (or whatever) behind the goal. It couldn't have been offside because he didn't then lower his flag to indicate where it should be taken from (as assistents do), and it couldn't have been an infringement (ie foul) because he would have held his flag in the right hand and indicated the direction of the Palace goal.

You will noticed that the game was re-started with a goal kick. A very poor decision and it was affect his, and the assistants, refereeing career.

It was also interesting to note that Paul Durkin was the assessor, and he was even shaking his head as he walked towards the tunnel at half time.

Thats the thing though i thought i saw the linesmans flag go up as the ball was going in, rather than after.

Although as you say he didn't appear to do anything to indicate what the bloody hell he was giving though, didn't point at the six yard box to indicate a goal kick, didn't lower his flag slowly to indicate an offside, nor did he waggle the flag to indicate an infringement. He's said to the players that it was a push, and he could have given a push on skuse as sears had his hand on his chest and gave him a little nudge, it was bugger all but in the context of the decisions up to that point it to my mind fits as the best explanation, as to me it looked like for all the world the ref was about to give the goal.

Warnock :

"I thought Gary Johnson and his players could have shown more sportsmanship because they knew it was a goal, like everyone else. But I'm 60 years old and maybe I expect too much."

What gross hypocrisy.

How can he have the cheek to expect any charity coming his way when he bends the rules, insults us, teaches his players how to sledge ours etc..

Ah, but that just makes him a "character" you see. Still I await with interest the FA charges for attempting to get to Keith and Gary with clear intent and for shoving Brad when he offered his hand. I have no plans to hold my breath though.

Archived