IGNORED

This Disallowed Pal Arse Goal

DT The Optimist

I don't often post but so many people are making wrong assumptions, fans, the media and who ever.

The ref clearly saw the ball go into the goal, and started to make his way back to the centre circle, as did most fans.

He then saw the lines man (assistant refereee or whatever !) with his flag stuck nine miles up in the air ! :fingerscrossed:

He went over, consulted the lines man and then disallows the goal.

The Palace players all rant at the lines man.

He saw an infringement or a offside, lucky old us.

I was in block 'F' and straight away looked at the lines man to see he had his flag up and knew no goal was going to be given :laugh:

Anyone else in block 'A' or 'B' of the Dolman can confirm this ?

That makes sense as the play was restarted with a city free kick

It was re-started with a goal kick no?

Warnock says we should have been more sporting. Like Palace would have been sporting had the same happened to them- idiot. If it had happened to most clubs I would feel sorry but not for that guy.

That makes sense as the play was restarted with a city free kick

Mmmmmm.... I think the ref bottled it, linesman bottled it and have suggested an off-side/foul prior to goal. I think they were not 100% sure it went in and urged on by mcallister/hartley ( who ever said scots were tight!) had to make a decision.

Certain controversy, certainly lucky.

Certainly a goal

Mmmmmm.... I think the ref bottled it, linesman bottled it and have suggested an off-side/foul prior to goal. I think they were not 100% sure it went in and urged on by mcallister/hartley ( who ever said scots were tight!) had to make a decision.

Certain controversy, certainly lucky.

Certainly a goal

In all fairness to the linesman his flag went up pretty quick and he stood his ground with the flag raised... Normally in those circumstances the linesman would run back to the half way line but he didn't hesitate in standing still and raising it quickly... That saying I still didn't spot any infringements ...

Karma?

The ref cost us victory, claims Bristol City boss Johnson

Monday, December 15, 2008, 08:00

9 readers have commented on this story.

Click here to read their views.

Furious Bristol City boss Gary Johnson is demanding an apology from referee Rob Shoebridge.

City's manager insists the Derbyshire-based official cost his team what would have been a winning goal in Saturday's Coca-Cola Championship clash with Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough.

The incident occurred five minutes before half-time when Jamie McCombe turned Jamie McAllister's lofted free-kick into the net with a flicked header.

City players celebrated what they believed to be the opening goal, only for the referee to award a free-kick to the Owls for an alleged foul on Wednesday centre-back Richard Wood.

But Johnson claimed McCombe was nowhere near the Wednesday defender and that goalkeeper Lee Grant had been responsible for flattening his team-mate.

"It was a perfectly good goal and it definitely should have been allowed to stand," argued a furious Johnson, who confronted Shoebridge both at half-time and after the final whistle.

He added: "I spoke to the referee and I asked him to take a look at the video and then tell me he didn't get it wrong.

"I think he'll find he has made a mistake and that he has cost us a win and three points. If that is the case, then I hope he apologises."

Very odd that some of them are directing their anger at us rather than the ref.

Thank Warnock for that.

Has openly accused Gary Johnson and our players of lacking sportsmanship on radio and practically let the ref off the hook by suggesting the biggest injustice was us not letting them score.

Funnily enough I don't think a man of Warnock's reputation can say sweet FA about a manager who once allowed Plymouth (I believe...) to score into an open goal against his team because of an unjust occurrence whist Yeovil manager.

The horrible little goblin and that team of thugs, supported by the most unpleasant bunch of moaners can go jump.

Thank Warnock for that.

Has openly accused Gary Johnson and our players of lacking sportsmanship on radio and practically let the ref off the hook by suggesting the biggest injustice was us not letting them score.

Funnily enough I don't think a man of Warnock's reputation can say sweet FA about a manager who once allowed Plymouth (I believe...) to score into an open goal against his team because of an unjust occurrence whist Yeovil manager.

The horrible little goblin and that team of thugs, supported by the most unpleasant bunch of moaners can go jump.

It is typical of cheats and bullies that they are the first to cry foul when they feel hard done by.

I agree. With almost any other team I would have a deal of sympathy, but with that bunch of moaning idiots, it only makes it sweeter that it was controversial.

I have just called a friend who is a ref. IF the linesman stuck his flag towards the sky, an infringement or hewants to speak to the ref, if he points it towards the goal, a goal kick, so what did the lines man do, I am confident his flag was skywards.

I only wish the officials would tell us, end of story. :disapointed2se:

Simon Jordan just on Sky Sports News

As a ref, I will try and clear up a few things. As I understand it the 'goal' was disallowed because the ref wasn't sure (I watched his body language). The assistant then raised his flag, and my guess is that he thought it hit a post (or whatever) behind the goal. It couldn't have been offside because he didn't then lower his flag to indicate where it should be taken from (as assistents do), and it couldn't have been an infringement (ie foul) because he would have held his flag in the right hand and indicated the direction of the Palace goal.

You will noticed that the game was re-started with a goal kick. A very poor decision and it was affect his, and the assistants, refereeing career.

It was also interesting to note that Paul Durkin was the assessor, and he was even shaking his head as he walked towards the tunnel at half time.

Warnock :

"I thought Gary Johnson and his players could have shown more sportsmanship because they knew it was a goal, like everyone else. But I'm 60 years old and maybe I expect too much."

What gross hypocrisy.

How can he have the cheek to expect any charity coming his way when he bends the rules, insults us, teaches his players how to sledge ours etc..

To stop all the controversy all the referee has to do is explain publically why the 'goal' was disallowed.

Could be the linesman flagged because he saw an infringement.

If that's the case then it certainly saves him from being labelled incompetent for failing to notice that the ball crossed the line.

With regards to Warnock's request for an unchallenged 'goal' immediately after the incident, sorry Neil, but there's no sentiment in football. It's a results game and you would have done exactly the same given the circumstances.

Moreover, without the benefit of a TARDIS or fully functioning crystal ball noone could have predicted the result of today's game given the uncertainties of football.

The only certainty was the 'goal'.

Try calling Sepp Blatter.

If that's the case then it certainly saves him from being labelled incompetent for failing to notice that the ball crossed the line.

With regards to Warnock's request for an unchallenged 'goal' immediately after the incident, sorry Neil, but there's no sentiment in football. It's a results game and you would have done exactly the same given the circumstances.

Moreover, without the benefit of a TARDIS or fully functioning crystal ball noone could have predicted the result of today's game given the uncertainties of football.

The only certainty was the 'goal'.

Try calling Sepp Blatter.

From what I have seen it's no push. Perhaps in an earlier situation, I don't know.

For the refs sake I hope that he don't try come up with an explanation afterwards. Anyone can make a mistake. You just have to admit it.

As I saw it the 'goal' was disallowed because the lino and ref thought it went wide and hit the stantion at the back (how the linesman missed it I don't know because I had a similar view to him) and the game was restarted with a goal kick, not a free kick. Would be good to hear from the ref to get all this clear. Looks to me though that it was an awful decision and this story may rumble on for a while.

That said, all these allegations of cheating and of potentially replaying the game from Simon Jordan and Warnock are outragous. These things happen in football - we were hard done by last week. If in their next game Palace score a goal that is blatantly offside, are they going to invite the opposition to score for free or offer to replay the game? I don't think so.

The fact that this has happened against that bunch of whiny Cockney w*****s and to Jordan and Warnock in particular makes it all the sweeter!! :laugh: I can't wait for January 9th!

As I saw it the 'goal' was disallowed because the lino and ref thought it went wide and hit the stantion at the back (how the linesman missed it I don't know because I had a similar view to him) and the game was restarted with a goal kick, not a free kick. Would be good to hear from the ref to get all this clear. Looks to me though that it was an awful decision and this story may rumble on for a while.

That said, all these allegations of cheating and of potentially replaying the game from Simon Jordan and Warnock are outragous. These things happen in football - we were hard done by last week. If in their next game Palace score a goal that is blatantly offside, are they going to invite the opposition to score for free or offer to replay the game? I don't think so.

The fact that this has happened against that bunch of whiny Cockney w*****s and to Jordan and Warnock in particular makes it all the sweeter!! :laugh: I can't wait for January 9th!

Can't remember Warnock and Jordan complaining last season at their place when their winger ran the ball out of touch for a throw-in and the ref let play carry on and resulted in a goal against us.

What goes around comes around !

Karma?

a superb spot - was in Sheffield and felt every bit as aggrieved that City didn't walk away with the points...seem to recall Brian Laws saying on the local radio that it was a goal for us...remarkable that it's the same ref....

...that said today's decision did look a howler...one to remember on 20 or 30 years time!

Whisper it but I do feel for Palace...

Just seen it an SSN myself, and comments from GJ and Simon Jordan too.

Our Colin (Sextone) often gets a lot of stick on here but I was proud of him speaking for our club about this controversy. He was calm, polite, clear and professional. So different from the Palace lot.

Obviously they were angry and emotional, but have also clearly lost the plot and are an embarrassment to their club and football.

Archived