IGNORED

Reputation Of Bristol City

Martyn Hocking

I want to start this post by saying I was at AG on Saturday and loved every second of the drama that unfolded - the look on Colin's face at the final whistle was priceless.

BUT in the cold light of day I am concerned at the long term damage to our reputation as a club. To read an experienced footie journo like Henry Winter siding with Simon Jordan against us and branding our players cheats is disturbing - not because he is right, but because his audience of several hundred thousand Telegraph readers now have the words 'cheats' and Bristol City linked in their minds. Same goes for comments from Shaun Custis (who has a regular platform on Five Live as well as The Sun.

There is a shorthand in the football world that goes something like this:

Milwall - thugs

Leeds - money wasters

Liverpool - passionate fans

West Ham - the 'academy'

Everton - school of science

Arsenal - the beautiful game

Bolton - play sh@t football

Crewe - produce great kids

Ipswich - well-run family club

Chelsea - soulless flash harrys

Newcastle - fans let down by board

Man Utd - prawn sandwich fake fans

Boro - best chairman to work for

Like it or not, some in the media will now add to that list:

Bristol City - cheats

If you doubt the truth of that just wait until the end of the season - if we are pushing for promotion or Palace are fighting relegation - it will be mentioned in every national media story.

Sad but true.

I agree with the previous posts. Regardless of how well respected certain members of the media may be, their opinions are just that, their opinions. While i feel the phrase `no such thing as bad publicity` isn`t strictly true, in this case our cause has been well served by the measured responses coming from AG. Irrespective of what some in the tabloids may think, it will take a lot more persuading to convince a huge number of football followers thatBCFC did anything wrong. It wouldn`t suprise me if some of them have just jumped on the bandwagon for the sake of it.

Whats more........In light of the statement from Keith Hackett it really only gives the media 2 directions to go. Admit they jumped the gun with the way the whole incident was reported or, which is more likely, bury their heads in the sand and continue with their blinkered and inaccurate reporting.

PDG

I was chatting to my mate today who is a Hoops season ticket holder and he said that "it could happen to a better couple of 'colins'" referring to NW and SJ, and I think that most people are aware that the furore was caused by their actions and not by us cheating. The people that should be concerned about their reputations are Winter, Custis, and the Guardian journo, Ifield(?) and the others who have opened their mouths while their brains are still in neutral.

I thought Arsenal were "boring" for a long time.

They've turned it round....

Anyway, there are just as many people who know all about Warnock and Jordan and will be laughing their socks off at them.

That might be so Cynic, but I don't care what people think of Warnock and Jordan. However, like Well Red I do care what people think about Bristol City, especially when their view of our club is being determined not by what we are really like but how we are being portrayed by fleet street hacks with their own agenda to follow.

I want to start this post by saying I was at AG on Saturday and loved every second of the drama that unfolded - the look on Colin's face at the final whistle was priceless.

BUT in the cold light of day I am concerned at the long term damage to our reputation as a club. To read an experienced footie journo like Henry Winter siding with Simon Jordan against us and branding our players cheats is disturbing - not because he is right, but because his audience of several hundred thousand Telegraph readers now have the words 'cheats' and Bristol City linked in their minds. Same goes for comments from Shaun Custis (who has a regular platform on Five Live as well as The Sun.

There is a shorthand in the football world that goes something like this:

Milwall - thugs

Leeds - money wasters

Liverpool - passionate fans

West Ham - the 'academy'

Everton - school of science

Arsenal - the beautiful game

Bolton - play sh@t football

Crewe - produce great kids

Ipswich - well-run family club

Chelsea - soulless flash harrys

Newcastle - fans let down by board

Man Utd - prawn sandwich fake fans

Boro - best chairman to work for

Like it or not, some in the media will now add to that list:

Bristol City - cheats

If you doubt the truth of that just wait until the end of the season - if we are pushing for promotion or Palace are fighting relegation - it will be mentioned in every national media story.

Sad but true.

Mate dont worry. Alott of the people in this country now what the BNNP (British National News Papers) are realy like. If they can make money they will run with it. The most important people to Bristol City fc know what they are like US the supporters. We!!! know we are not cheats mate & it's time's like this we stick together.

Like it or not we have been damaged. The Times yesterday had an article about the game which showed us in totally negative way, so much so Mrs Bucks phoned the Sports Desk to complain, and they didn't offer to withdraw or show our point of view.

the times football coverage is the best of any paper...

It'll be like this for years, and God help us if we get to the prayoffs or auto...

Damn Warnob and Jordick, Custiss and all the other self satified smug, ill educated journos

Here you go - tonight's 'match report' from the BBC sports website:

Bristol City 1 - 0 QPR

Bristol City showed no ill-effects from the controversy of their game against Crystal Palace as they beat QPR.

City, who conceded the goal that was not given against Palace, saw Nicky Maynard grab the winner as they kept up their unbeaten start to the season.

Adel Taarabt hit the post with a shot for QPR before Maynard struck late on.

Danny Haynes set up the former Crewe striker, who drilled a clinical right-foot finish into the top-right corner to secure City's three points.

50% of the report is talking about the Palace game!

It's true, but if this is still the case in a month or even three weeks I'll be more than a little surprised.

What has worked in our favour over all this is certain people (the aforementioned Winter and Custis to name a couple) have gone full-bore over what they think, maybe making people ***** up their ears. But this happened so quickly and in such an extreme way most people took it as what it was; the rantings of the ego-starved.

We should not underestimate the decent and measured reaction of other figures (many of who are more widely repected), such as Tony Gale, The Mirror (who called us "blameless"), the guy from the Express, as well as many fans who'll have had 'dealings' with Warnock and Tango before who refuse to be fooled by their bullshit.

Good example is those at my work (I work in Scotland, though with a fair few English people too); on Monday morning I was braced for a barrage of criticism/banter. However most had not taken the story at first showing and indeed were pretty unimpressed with the reaction of Palace. Those who'd heard of Warnock and CO took every word they said lightly, whilst those who had not heard of them seemed confused at all the fuss they were making.

Most (without prompting from me I might add) came to the conclusion that it was pretty much a non-event after the fact and Palace were just VERY sore losers. In fact one who read a couple of reports said something along the lines of; "so you beat them in the playoffs a while ago? They must still really hate you to be talking all this bollocks now..." which made me laugh out loud!

At the time and for a good 24 hours after I was apoplectic and was convinced our name would be mud for evermore. But since the club played such a straight bat and refused to say or do anything that was not on their terms 'Tango and Cash', much like an out of control fire, burnt up all their publicity and airtime (their 'oxygen' if you will) far far too quickly and in too uncontrolled a fashion, they rightly failed to make it more than just another little Sunday to Monday morning story.

It's over for me now, with the only REAL lingering business that remains being; Where the **** is our money, you cheap bastards?

I dont even buy BNNP's Why bother when i got the internet that tell's the truth? To me BNNP's are just a waste of time & efert to buy a load of old tosh about the day before that's already happend. Not only that what a complete waste of a poor tree.

Sorry guys but it's white paper trash.

Give it a few years and the incident will be on Question Of Sport's What Happened Next round... cue much mirth as footage is shown of Colin doing the time-honoured ref-needs-glasses routine, followed by his facial expressions at full time.

The panellists will then talk briefly about the resultant media furore, and someone will make a joke about people in Glass Houses not throwing stones.

Time, indeed, heals all.

Like it or not we have been damaged. The Times yesterday had an article about the game which showed us in totally negative way, so much so Mrs Bucks phoned the Sports Desk to complain, and they didn't offer to withdraw or show our point of view.

the times football coverage is the best of any paper...

It'll be like this for years, and God help us if we get to the prayoffs or auto...

Damn Warnob and Jordick, Custiss and all the other self satified smug, ill educated journos

The Times is another Murdoch rag, why do people think its anything other than The Stun without the tits, its still coming from the same start position.

Here you go - tonight's 'match report' from the BBC sports website:

Bristol City 1 - 0 QPR

Bristol City showed no ill-effects from the controversy of their game against Crystal Palace as they beat QPR.

City, who conceded the goal that was not given against Palace, saw Nicky Maynard grab the winner as they kept up their unbeaten start to the season.

Adel Taarabt hit the post with a shot for QPR before Maynard struck late on.

Danny Haynes set up the former Crewe striker, who drilled a clinical right-foot finish into the top-right corner to secure City's three points.

It makes reference to it but doesn't put us in bad light. Certainly doesn't say: ''Bristol City - who cheated their way to victory over Crystal Palace on Saturday''.

We'll be fine, a little mock teasing is all I've had so far and that's because it's still topical.

All the OP's examples are of reputations being built up due to long-term characteristics, not one-off freak events.

Archived