IGNORED

New Target Man

internetjef

I'd like to see us bring in another centre forward, but not a classic target man. However it might not be a bad thing if we can't since it will stop GJ from doing his usual merry go round selections up front and we might see some good partnerships develop.

I'm more concerned that we sign a proper replacement for McIndoe because this wing back lark is unlikely to last more than a few games before it is consistently countered.

Agree entirely about McIndoe. Have said consistently that he will be missed as the season progresses. Don't think we'll see a replacement, though. Doesn't seem to be on GJ's radar.

Also agree about 3-5-2. Have nothing against it in principle. Can be great to watch when it works well (as it did for the first half against QPR) but this is not Anfield or the Emirates or whatever. You have to have the players to do it. Top class footballers are able to adapt fairly readily to changing formations. Ours are decent players, but not in that category. Neither Orr nor McAllister, both of whom I respect as capable full backs, have the qualities needed to be effective as wing backs in the longer term. I would hope to see some serious competition from Ribeiro, Wilson and Blackman if we are to persevere with this style, but I think it more likely we will revert to something more orthodox in the coming months.

Older supporters will remember a period in the club's history when a succession of managers (most of whom, tellingly, didn't last long) thought they could play three at the back with players at this level. Osman was one who tried it. Even Joe Jordan did for a while. They all just quietly abandoned it in the end. My money would be on this experiment going the same way.

Have to beg to differ on the target man front, though. A deeply unpopular opinion on the forum, I know, for which I will no doubt get slated, but I think historically players who perform this often mis-perceived role have been the most under-appreciated, despite it being a widely accepted and integral part of the game. Whether we like it or not, players of this type have a contribution to make and most managers will seek to recruit at least one.

The desperately unlucky Celtic lad was brought on on Tuesday for a good reason: after a terrific first half performance, our midfield came under greater pressure from a hard working side that stepped up their game and closed down very quickly. As a consequence, passes began to be hit long (though not necessarily in the air) for our front men, who were starting to find it hard to retain possession, so it kept coming straight back at us, hence QPR's best and most dangerous spell of the match up to that point. It is in precisely these circumstances that managers look to players with physical strength who can play with their back to goal and link forward play. Sorry to disappoint you, but expect to see another like-for-like replacement, if GJ can get hold of one before the deadline.

Agree entirely about McIndoe. Have said consistently that he will be missed as the season progresses. Don't think we'll see a replacement, though. Doesn't seem to be on GJ's radar.

Also agree about 3-5-2. Have nothing against it in principle. Can be great to watch when it works well (as it did for the first half against QPR) but this is not Anfield or the Emirates or whatever. You have to have the players to do it. Top class footballers are able to adapt fairly readily to changing formations. Ours are decent players, but not in that category. Neither Orr nor McAllister, both of whom I respect as capable full backs, have the qualities needed to be effective as wing backs in the longer term. I would hope to see some serious competition from Ribeiro, Wilson and Blackman if we are to persevere with this style, but I think it more likely we will revert to something more orthodox in the coming months.

Older supporters will remember a period in the club's history when a succession of managers (most of whom, tellingly, didn't last long) thought they could play three at the back with players at this level. Osman was one who tried it. Even Joe Jordan did for a while. They all just quietly abandoned it in the end. My money would be on this experiment going the same way.

Have to beg to differ on the target man front, though. A deeply unpopular opinion on the forum, I know, for which I will no doubt get slated, but I think historically players who perform this often mis-perceived role have been the most under-appreciated, despite it being a widely accepted and integral part of the game. Whether we like it or not, players of this type have a contribution to make and most managers will seek to recruit at least one.

The desperately unlucky Celtic lad was brought on on Tuesday for a good reason: after a terrific first half performance, our midfield came under greater pressure from a hard working side that stepped up their game and closed down very quickly. As a consequence, passes began to be hit long (though not necessarily in the air) for our front men, who were starting to find it hard to retain possession, so it kept coming straight back at us, hence QPR's best and most dangerous spell of the match up to that point. It is in precisely these circumstances that managers look to players with physical strength who can play with their back to goal and link forward play. Sorry to disappoint you, but expect to see another like-for-like replacement, if GJ can get hold of one before the deadline.

What do you mean a replacement for McIndoe? He doesn't fit into our formation? We have cover for every position now and more. Shame about Velicka or we would have an extremely strong squad in my opinion.

I'm more concerned that we sign a proper replacement for McIndoe because this wing back lark is unlikely to last more than a few games before it is consistently countered.

Two decent wingers would be good- especially on the left wing.

I know we have just kept three clean sheets (two technically!), I'm still concerned about central defence as we are giving sides a lot of chances.

What do you mean a replacement for McIndoe? He doesn't fit into our formation? We have cover for every position now and more. Shame about Velicka or we would have an extremely strong squad in my opinion.

Actually, if he had been willing to play as a wing back I think he might have fitted in to the current formation quite well: he certainly possessed the necessary fitness and work-rate. However, my post was made in agreement with an earlier one by Nibor, as you can see, and the point we are both making is that we think the 3-5-2 thing may well not last long. If we revert to a more conventional approach at any stage, we may come to regret the lack of an orthodox left winger.

It wasn't a case of fitting into our formation for Mcindoe, more a case not being prepared to be moved around because we would more than likely be playing 3-5-2, but we still need a winger IMO for when we need to revert to 4-4-2 plan B, Mcindoe would probably still be here if he was prepared to play wing back.

It wasn't a case of fitting into our formation for Mcindoe, more a case not being prepared to be moved around because we would more than likely be playing 3-5-2, but we still need a winger IMO for when we need to revert to 4-4-2 plan B, Mcindoe would probably still be here if he was prepared to play wing back.

Exactly.

However that could of been a sub each game or reverting back to 4-4-2 say half way through the season so either way see's him get alot let games so in a way you can barely blame him.

However that could of been a sub each game or reverting back to 4-4-2 say half way through the season so either way see's him get alot let games so in a way you can barely blame him.

I don't blame him, I was just disagreeing with Ali bcfc that it wasn't just a case of Mcindoe not fitting into the formation.

I see Marcus Bent has been told he can leave Birmingham. He was mentioned earlier in the summer and fits the role of an experienced target man;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/8213871.stm

Marcus Bent is an awful player! Sure he might be experienced and a target man but he wont score any goals. I'd far sooner play any of the strikers on our books (including youngsters) than get Bent in.

bring back bas savage, jokes :laugh:

i'm sure GJ is aware of a number of players that could come in and do a good job for us, i'm sure that there's probably a good free agent or loanable players around, theres no point in paying a fee as it'll cost big and the target man will struggle to get into our team, i think we just need someone to provide a different option, nobody expensive or particularly amazing

Andy Gray would be ideal, but

a) would he be happy not being guaranteed first choice?

&

b) he's probably on big money at Charlton

Same issues would be even less likely to be overcome with the two Brum guys.

Cant be on big money as he has just signed for Barnsley!

Another target man that I think would do a job for City is Bayo Akinfenwa. He has scored 21 goals in 51 games for Northampton, and would be cheap. I don't think scoring goals will be the issue up front for us this season but we are missing that battering ram, that we will need on occasions this season. This type of striker will be useful against teams that can't cope with a physical forward like Akinfenwa.

Another target man that I think would do a job for City is Bayo Akinfenwa. He has scored 21 goals in 51 games for Northampton, and would be cheap. I don't think scoring goals will be the issue up front for us this season but we are missing that battering ram, that we will need on occasions this season. This type of striker will be useful against teams that can't cope with a physical forward like Akinfenwa.

Nowhere near good enough for The Championship.

Nowhere near good enough for The Championship.

He hasn't played in the Championship before, but his goals to games ratio is pretty good for a target man. Somebody like Akinfenwa would be another option that we don't have that we will need for certain games this season.

Archived