IGNORED

Do We Really Need A Target Man ?

andy g

With Velicka gone GJ is expected to go looking for a new "target man" but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I think we play better, more intelligent football when we're not trying to lump it forward to a big man and maybe playing with quicker, more mobile strikers will do us good.

And if we really feel the need to have a bit of power up front, Akinde showed on saturday that he's ready to do a job for us.

Lets not be rushed into buying someone who will take the club backwards.

I think between Haynes, Maynard and Clarkson they played some lovely stuff on tuesday night.

Agreed probably the best football under GJ. However with suspensions and injuries if two of those three are out we have limited cover availible. An experienced big man up front would also give us a different option if the smaller guys aren't working out in a particular game.

With Velicka gone GJ is expected to go looking for a new "target man" but I'm not sure that's necessary.

I think we play better, more intelligent football when we're not trying to lump it forward to a big man and maybe playing with quicker, more mobile strikers will do us good.

And if we really feel the need to have a bit of power up front, Akinde showed on saturday that he's ready to do a job for us.

Lets not be rushed into buying someone who will take the club backwards.

Couldn't agree more. Lumping the ball up field to a..er...lump is awful to watch and usually ends in losing possession quickly. Keep the ball on the ground. Pass and move, pass and move!!

Akinde showed against Palace what a physical presence he can be. He could play that 'target man' role but I don't see Johnson starting many games with a target man. He seems to have realised that not only is pace more effective but its far more pleasing on the eye - hence all the positive noises from the faithfull after the QPR first 45.

Akinde showed against Palace what a physical presence he can be. He could play that 'target man' role but I don't see Johnson starting many games with a target man. He seems to have realised that not only is pace more effective but its far more pleasing on the eye - hence all the positive noises from the faithfull after the QPR first 45.

Perhaps therefore, Akinde on the bench as our target man and AN Other..........one of Trundle or Plummer I assume?

Archived