IGNORED

Campaign To Get The Robin Back

Project Nibor

Campaign To Get The Robin Back  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No no no no no no....................please keep the crest, it`s a symbol of the CITY we represent. I too grew up with the robin on the shirts wwhich was fine as a kid !!!!!!! Now it just looks tacky, like some American Football team logo. We are Bristol City and the crest is just fine.

PDG

The crest we have is the Bristol Crest compared to the Rovers who have a camp pirate... I'd much rather have a crest of Bristol as it's like a sign we are the official team of Bristol and Rovers are just some second rate team as they have a second rate badge.

The Robin has served it's time and was fun but there are too many teams with Robins as their nicknames

I mean honestly which looks better?

badgexs1.gif

featuring:

bristol.jpg

or

robinlk1.jpg

The Robin looks cheap and tacky just like the Rovers badge

Bristol_Rovers.jpg

now hold on just cos someone else is using our nickname we back down and call ourselves something else? Do we ****!!!!

The robins isnt tacky. Eagles............their tacky. And The Pirates is really gay!!!

I'm not saying drop the nickname, I'm saying the badge looks tacky like the Rovers badge. The crest is far better and a stronger link to Bristol.

I'm not saying drop the nickname, I'm saying the badge looks tacky like the Rovers badge. The crest is far better and a stronger link to Bristol.

Thing is we need a logo for our clubs own ID, now Bristol city fc can't represet the whole of bristol to which the crest does,

we can't represent the gas? can we? or bristol rugby? no more so can they represent us but that logo is on every thing from

council wheely bins to gloucester cricket club badge, how can gloucester claim that badge? we can't represent gloucester

as much as they represet us?? even private Bristol schools use their own ID logo's and badges, also the middle of the crest

the sail ship representing the history of bristols trade, ah yes slave trade very much apart of that history, the robin badge, people say is out dated but not as much as that trade, i just feel we need a new logo re-designed.

9.gif

The crest we have is the Bristol Crest compared to the Rovers who have a camp pirate... I'd much rather have a crest of Bristol as it's like a sign we are the official team of Bristol and Rovers are just some second rate team as they have a second rate badge.

The Robin has served it's time and was fun but there are too many teams with Robins as their nicknames

I mean honestly which looks better?

badgexs1.gif

featuring:

bristol.jpg

or

robinlk1.jpg

The Robin looks cheap and tacky just like the Rovers badge

Bristol_Rovers.jpg

id rather stick to what we have currently which is ten times better than some gay pirate wa##### himself off

Ask fans what the nickname of Bristol City is and they will answer 9/10 the Robins.

Most fans of other clubs think the Robin and Suspension bridge is our badge including the media as the crest is overlooked in papers and on tv in favour of? Most peole would though recognise the Gas badge.

The crest itself is a weak ambiguos image associated with other sports, organisations and indeed the Gas. Its also quite clear the crest is not particularly popular and has not been for some time with sections of Citys support. A successful emblem of BCFC should be adopted en massse by fans but it seems clear the crest has not. Does this not also limit the crests value when selling merchandise?

What would be your view if the Gas reverted to a Bristol influenced crest as well because their support is more limited to Bristol than Citys is so can't they lay cliam to it as well?

Guest MaloneFM

Bring back the design put forward by Richard Gould with the ship and the robin on the sail and all that.

I'm sorry I've been drinking again........sorry...... :blush:

yes, the crest has been our badge (when we had one) for the vast majority of our history, whereas the Robin is a horrible 70s abberation like flares and The Goodies.

To the dustbin with it!

The Goodies...aberration ????

Surely one of the finest acts of the 70's.

yes, the crest has been our badge (when we had one) for the vast majority of our history, whereas the Robin is a horrible 70s abberation like flares and The Goodies.

I quite liked The Goodies, who can remember 'Black pudding Bertha? they dont make them like that anymore! :rolleyes:

"Robins" is a rubbish nickname, unoriginal -and based on the colour of shirts rather than anything Bristol realted.

Pirates, while being a bit camp, is at least unique to our city. (Although celebrating murdering hairy men is perhaps not in the spirit of our club)

The robin on the badge was cute, so was that Barnsley Bulldog. Seen some dodgy badges go in the bin where they belong, like QPR's ribbons, Chelski's little Milwall lion, and Rovers's squares. The Robin badge was better than the lot of 'em. A great badge, but no thanks to the gormless bird...

That wonderful bridge the robin partially obscured was the real star, get the bridge back in the badge and I'll be happy, because since reading this thread I'm starting to understand the bad points of sharing our badge with those plonkers in college green and horfield.

now hold on just cos someone else is using our nickname we back down and call ourselves something else? Do we ****!!!!

The robins isnt tacky. Eagles............their tacky. And The Pirates is really gay!!!

Yo mate, are you open at the moment?

...I really fancy a curry, and I live about half a mile away!!!

I had a look at old photos and City don't appear to have had a badge on their shirts until after WW2.

The oldest photo I can find with a badge on a shirt is one of Ivor Guy and the robin is perched on the ball looking to the right. The photo is on page 40 of "The complete history of Bristol City F C" by Peter Godsoff & published in 1979. Paint the bird yellow and it becomes Norwich's badge. Throughout the 50s & most of the 60s (Atyeo's time) City wore the coat of arms of the city of Bristol. When City wore all red for a while (Quigley & Crowe era), the badge disappeared, but returned with the white shorts in the early 70s (Drysdale, Merrick & co). The badge was still the coat of arms. 1974 cup win @ Leeds was coat of arms, 1976 league win @ Arsenal was a robin. This time the robin is looking to the left.

That design was still being worn when Bob Taylor was a City player, but by the time Jordan became Manager for the second time it was the C of A again. The purple shirts worn in the 1994 cup win @ Liverpool had a left looking robin on, but it was a C of A when we had that play off game v Brentford and appears to have been so ever since.

Yes the robin is indeed iconic of Bristol City, but it's been the club badge only rarely over the years.

I don't know which year that photo of Ivor Guy was taken in as according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Ci...ristol_City.htm

the robin was worn for the first time in 1976. That website also shows City wore the C of A from 1901 - 1903, but didn't bother again with a badge until 1951.

I had a look at old photos and City don't appear to have had a badge on their shirts until after WW2.

The oldest photo I can find with a badge on a shirt is one of Ivor Guy and the robin is perched on the ball looking to the right. The photo is on page 40 of "The complete history of Bristol City F C" by Peter Godsoff & published in 1979. Paint the bird yellow and it becomes Norwich's badge. Throughout the 50s & most of the 60s (Atyeo's time) City wore the coat of arms of the city of Bristol. When City wore all red for a while (Quigley & Crowe era), the badge disappeared, but returned with the white shorts in the early 70s (Drysdale, Merrick & co). The badge was still the coat of arms. 1974 cup win @ Leeds was coat of arms, 1976 league win @ Arsenal was a robin. This time the robin is looking to the left.

That design was still being worn when Bob Taylor was a City player, but by the time Jordan became Manager for the second time it was the C of A again. The purple shirts worn in the 1994 cup win @ Liverpool had a left looking robin on, but it was a C of A when we had that play off game v Brentford and appears to have been so ever since.

Yes the robin is indeed iconic of Bristol City, but it's been the club badge only rarely over the years.

I don't know which year that photo of Ivor Guy was taken in as according to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Ci...ristol_City.htm

the robin was worn for the first time in 1976. That website also shows City wore the C of A from 1901 - 1903, but didn't bother again with a badge until 1951.

Did City sign Ivor Guy from Charlton?

Reason I ask is that in 1940's their badge featured a Robin sat on a football.

http://www.footballcrests.com/clubs/charlton-athletic-fc

They were also known as the Robins and ran on to the pitch to the tune of "when the Red Red Robin comes bob bobbing along - which we also adopted as our club song.

it's not unoriginal

we ARE the robins

the most famous robins out there

Charlton fans would probably argue that one with you.

Charlton had a Robin sat on a football as part of their badge in the 40's and 50's. They were also known as the Robins and used the song "When the Red Red Robin" before we did.

Did City sign Ivor Guy from Charlton?

They were also known as the Robins and ran on to the pitch to the tune of "when the Red Red Robin comes bob bobbing along - which we also adopted as our club song.

I vaguely remember Ivor Guy and those days in the early 50's, when I was a small lad!

Archived