IGNORED

Gary Johnson Must Take The Credit

Coach

Gary Johnson must take the credit for today's win. To turn everyone and everything around from late Wednesday night to that effort, commitment and passion from all the players today is arguably one of his greatest achievements since joining us.

Everybody played well, although I thought Brian Wilson looked very nervy with the ball and Jamie McAllister's distribution is so infuriating for someone with such a sweet left foot, but special credit must go to Cole Skuse. What a superhuman effort in midfield today, must have covered miles and miles while tackling everything in sight.

As an aside, for some reason I was looking at Basso after their penalty was given. He was up out of the dugout, shouting with arms waving ... to be honest he looked just like a City fan and clearly had plenty of passion there. I wish he could sort his situation out although obviously I would now have him as #2 to Gerken.

Gary Johnson must take the credit for today's win. To turn everyone and everything around from late Wednesday night to that effort, commitment and passion from all the players today is arguably one of his greatest achievements since joining us.

Everybody played well, although I thought Brian Wilson looked very nervy with the ball and Jamie McAllister's distribution is so infuriating for someone with such a sweet left foot, but special credit must go to Cole Skuse. What a superhuman effort in midfield today, must have covered miles and miles while tackling everything in sight.

As an aside, for some reason I was looking at Basso after their penalty was given. He was up out of the dugout, shouting with arms waving ... to be honest he looked just like a City fan and clearly had plenty of passion there. I wish he could sort his situation out although obviously I would now have him as #2 to Gerken.

Another decent game from Gerken it has to be said. Didn't have much to do but came off his line nicely for crosses and the like. It looks like GJ may have stumbled on a good un there.

Guest ashtonyate

Well done Gary great result you told them naughty players Wednesday look how they done today great that's down to you.

Of course just because you bought them players coached them give them there tactics and motivated them then they play rubbish that's down to them,get real.

Quite right he takes the credit for "getting into the players" as he puts it and motivating a work rate from the players that won the game. I still feel there are areas for improvement but what today showed is that if you are up for it and are committed it can take you quite a long way.

Certianly he has mentioned how he has got Maynard to work harder in pre-season so the sharpness that Maynard is showing is also atributable to the manager. Just give him some more service to feet Gary please.

Ive no objections what so ever giving Gary Johnson credit where its due and he can bask in it all he wants.

But at the same time, he has to take the blame when he gets things wrong.... like he did on Wednesday night.

For me, sending out Keith Millen after the game instead of talking to the media himself was gutless and then the next day when he did finally come out and talk he refused to take any blame and said it was all down to the players.

Yes today against Middlesbrough, 10/10 - he got it spot on and got the players fired up for it and they responded in kind.

But on Weds he got the formation and the tactics wrong and has to take the flack for that. Yes the players are the ones on the field and they let him down but perhaps he let them down too, it works both ways - so 1/10

Ive no objections what so ever giving Gary Johnson credit where its due and he can bask in it all he wants.

But at the same time, he has to take the blame when he gets things wrong.... like he did on Wednesday night.

For me, sending out Keith Millen after the game instead of talking to the media himself was gutless and then the next day when he did finally come out and talk he refused to take any blame and said it was all down to the players.

Yes today against Middlesbrough, 10/10 - he got it spot on and got the players fired up for it and they responded in kind.

But on Weds he got the formation and the tactics wrong and has to take the flack for that. Yes the players are the ones on the field and they let him down but perhaps he let them down too, it works both ways - so 1/10

He was still with the players when the interviews were conducted. he ws interviewed the next day.

I would much prefer Gary to be doing what he is payed to do, get a reaction out of the players, that prat about with a meaningless interview with the gutter press.

so gutless is VERY harsh

He was still with the players when the interviews were conducted. he ws interviewed the next day.

I would much prefer Gary to be doing what he is payed to do, get a reaction out of the players, that prat about with a meaningless interview with the gutter press.

so gutless is VERY harsh

Ok, maybe gutless was harsh.... I know he was with the players after the match so I take that back.

BUT, you cannot deny that he got things wrong and still refused to take any blame.

Im not a Johnson basher, I like him and I believe he has done wonders here and dont want to even think about any other managers. I just wish sometimes he would just hold is hands up and say "I got it wrong, the players were poor but I have to take some of the blame".

Agreed. GJ picked players in position this time and it made a big difference, he also did a great job getting their attitudes turned around. The formation worked well, soaking up pressure and possession from Boro giving them few chances and hitting them on the break. He should certainly take the credit for that and I was pleasantly surprised.

I think your comments about Skuse and the wing backs are spot on. Skuse had a very good game and was a close second for MOTM for me. If he keeps that up he is undroppable. Wilson and McAllister to me were the weaker performers. Not lack of effort but ability, they both gave possession away too easily too often. But then I don't think either are particularly suited to being the only wide players.

Gerken had a good game, did well to come and take the ball in the air a lot looking assured. I thought having Carey alongside McCombe in a back three made him look a lot less vulnerable, Elliott helped with a fairly even physical battle in the middle of the park and Hartley's passing and set pieces were again very good. Akinde impressed not just with his hustle but also with his assuredness on the ball when he came on.

Nicky Maynard scored two excellent goals he would have been pushed off last season, it's great to see a City striker consistently getting in behind the opposition. If he carries on with this confidence he will hit 20.

All round an encouraging performance, and a very good result. I still think that we are significanly weak in the width department and we should look to strengthen there before the window shuts.

Whatever your views on Wednesday and Sundays performances, there are NO doubts whatsoever the team played their asses off today.

Mccombe dealt with anything aerial, Wilson made an outstanding challenge getting back from a 10 yard start, and they were the ones who worried the fans more than anytone else. Elsewhere the team played out of their skins, disrupting Boro's game totally. Akinde had a stormer, the midfield bossed the game. the players comminicated all game, and apologised for bad/mishit passes to each other

Young Nicky Maynard was deffo MOTM, and having met him, he is a model pro, hard working, modest, polite and no ego at all

Well done GJ, you got the response, you, and the fans wanted. Play like like every week, win, lose or draw and there will be few complaints.

Best performance from the team in ages. Hugely enjoyable, and everyone left with huge smiles on their faces. Bar Boro.

Certianly he has mentioned how he has got Maynard to work harder in pre-season so the sharpness that Maynard is showing is also atributable to the manager. Just give him some more service to feet Gary please.
I think some of the "long balls" are actually attempts to get our speedy front two in behind their back line, or at the least to turn their defence. Wilson played a nice one down the Dolman today, from the Atyeo it looked aimless and midflight some muppet was already moaning about it. As it flew and curved in you could see immediately that Haynes was going to get there first. And the two balls from Hartley for Maynard's goals weren't to his feet either. I think we are just playing to our strikers' strengths.

Gerken had a good game, did well to come and take the ball in the air a lot looking assured. I thought having Carey alongside McCombe in a back three made him look a lot less vulnerable, Elliott helped with a fairly even physical battle in the middle of the park and Hartley's passing and set pieces were again very good. Akinde impressed not just with his hustle but also with his assuredness on the ball when he came on.

Nicky Maynard scored two excellent goals he would have been pushed off last season, it's great to see a City striker consistently getting in behind the opposition.

I agree very much with the point about Nicky's 'progression' from last season and also about Akinde not just being a big bustling striker. I think he has a very good touch, good pace and is an intelligent and tricky striker. Didn't think he did too badly on Wednesday either considering the zero service.

McCombe too, I agree, with Carey alongside he looks a very useful stopper and nobody really did him on the ground either did they? Albeit Boro's strikers were disappointing. I'd like to see Blackman progress at a rate of knots past McCallister and Bradley back in the team and at his best. That really would be a difficult back line to break down with either Fonts or Nyatanga on the left of the three.

I think some of the "long balls" are actually attempts to get our speedy front two in behind their back line, or at the least to turn their defence. Wilson played a nice one down the Dolman today, from the Atyeo it looked aimless and midflight some muppet was already moaning about it. As it flew and curved in you could see immediately that Haynes was going to get there first. And the two balls from Hartley for Maynard's goals weren't to his feet either. I think we are just playing to our strikers' strengths.

I agree very much with the point about Nicky's 'progression' from last season and also about Akinde not just being a big bustling striker. I think he has a very good touch, good pace and is an intelligent and tricky striker. Didn't think he did too badly on Wednesday either considering the zero service.

McCombe too, I agree, with Carey alongside he looks a very useful stopper and nobody really did him on the ground either did they? Albeit Boro's strikers were disappointing. I'd like to see Blackman progress at a rate of knots past McCallister and Bradley back in the team and at his best. That really would be a difficult back line to break down with either Fonts or Nyatanga on the left of the three.

The difference in my humble opinion is that Harley played two long "passes" to Maynard, rather than a percentage ball that for instance Fontaine played a couple of times (Fontaines defensive work was very good by the way). The way I saw it was that the palyers are playing to a plan, GJ hinted at this in his Post Match Raidio Briz interview. I have no problem with that, as Boro for a lot of the game and pushed high up the pitch and there was space behind to expolit. But my view is it is much better to pick a pass a la Harley rather than play a ball by numbers so to speak a la Fontaine and others, which were played into an area with no City player any where near it..

The team worked extremely hard yesterday to win the ball, I just felt on occasion agaginst a team that kept the ball pretty well especially first half, we gave the ball very cheeply. I beleive City need to improve on this area becuase Maynard's goals to strikes ratio must have been very high yesterday, it won't always be so clinical and more chances will need to be created for the lad.

If Johnson serves credit for yesterdays result then he deserves critism for the shambles in mid week. Can't have it both ways.

I think he had it? In bucketfuls?

If Johnson deserved criticism for the shambles in midweek then he deserves credit for yesterday's performance.

The difference in my humble opinion is that Harley played two long "passes" to Maynard, rather than a percentage ball that for instance Fontaine played a couple of times (Fontaines defensive work was very good by the way). The way I saw it was that the palyers are playing to a plan, GJ hinted at this in his Post Match Raidio Briz interview. I have no problem with that, as Boro for a lot of the game and pushed high up the pitch and there was space behind to expolit. But my view is it is much better to pick a pass a la Harley rather than play a ball by numbers so to speak a la Fontaine and others, which were played into an area with no City player any where near it..

The team worked extremely hard yesterday to win the ball, I just felt on occasion agaginst a team that kept the ball pretty well especially first half, we gave the ball very cheeply. I beleive City need to improve on this area becuase Maynard's goals to strikes ratio must have been very high yesterday, it won't always be so clinical and more chances will need to be created for the lad.

I agree with all you say. Except maybe that it sounds like you expect Fontaine etc. to have the ability to play a pass a la Hartley. For a CCC defender I think playing the percentages, turning the defence and looking for quick strikers to get after the ball is a fine tactic if you are under pressure to clear / get rid. It does annoy me when a player does it often when he has time for something a little more clever and I think this is what gets most supporters' backs up - I'd say McCallister is the worst culprit at that and, going on to our midfielders, Elliott too. How many times yesterday did Marv just lob it forward on the turn without looking despite having time? He barely looks like a £½m player when he does that, let alone a £3½m player. I know his strength is in covering the pitch and winning the ball but it's now great having someone like Hartley to play accurate long balls AND compete.

GJ got it all wrong in the week but got it spot on yesterday, from the formation to the personnel and the substitutions, and evidently getting the players in the right frame of mind as well.

Interesting you should pick out Skuse, he was awesome, and as someone who has long called for him to be a regular first choice, it was great to see him starting, dare I say it, ahead of LJ because that is not something I thought GJ would do before this season started.

The crunching tackles and work rate, not to mention passing ability, of Skuse, the work rate, creativeness and passing of Hartley, and the usual work rate, tackling and surging runs from Elliott was for me instrumental in the win.

Every single player was up for it yesterday, not only closing their men down but getting in hard with tackles as well. It was a real 100% performance and if the football wasnt always pretty the commitment more than made up for it.

I agree with all you say. Except maybe that it sounds like you expect Fontaine etc. to have the ability to play a pass a la Hartley. For a CCC defender I think playing the percentages, turning the defence and looking for quick strikers to get after the ball is a fine tactic if you are under pressure to clear / get rid. It does annoy me when a player does it often when he has time for something a little more clever and I think this is what gets most supporters' backs up - I'd say McCallister is the worst culprit at that and, going on to our midfielders, Elliott too. How many times yesterday did Marv just lob it forward on the turn without looking despite having time? He barely looks like a £½m player when he does that, let alone a £3½m player. I know his strength is in covering the pitch and winning the ball but it's now great having someone like Hartley to play accurate long balls AND compete.

No don't get me wrong, I don't think we have to many defenders with the range of passing of Glen Hoddle or Perhaps Brian Tinnion, nor do I realisticaly expect us to have. I think what you go on to say its exactly where I'm coming from, there will be numerous times when clearing the lines is what is needed, but if the player has time and space then just a short pass to retain the ball would seem a better option.

You are totally right about Hartley he IS the player I have thought we have needed. With Elliott and Skuse to give legs, we currently have a good combination. Hartley has a pressence and competes as you say, combined with excellant dead ball delivery and as we saw yesterday range of a passing.

Archived