IGNORED

Penalty

DeadmanTF1

The key is that there has to be a positive movement towards the ball for it to be a handball. Not a great view from the highlights, but the ball is hit at speed and bounces up. Hard to tell how it played out though.

Carey's hands were by his side. Definitely not a penalty kick for me and it would have been an injustice if they got a point, luckily it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

I think there is a good case to argue that it was handball. However the ref should never have given the penalty......

As the incident occurs the referee appears unsure so looks to the linesman for his opinion, who is not signalling for it, before eventually deciding to give the penalty, which the linesman then flags for after the whistle. Clearly this implies there was significant doubt in the referee's mind, otherwise he would have given it straight away. If there was that much doubt in his mind, there is no way he should give a penalty!!

If the ref had of given it straight away, i probably would have very few complaints, as its one of those that you often see given!!

I don't see in the replay any way you could judge that to be deliberate. Yes Carey is moving towards the ball but he's moving his whole body not just his arm which is by his side. He doesn't have time to react. It was a crap decision, you can tell because it doesn't even cross anyone's mind that it might be given until Boro start appealing and the ref bottles it.

I had a great view of the incident from the Dolman and immediately thought "penalty" but neither the ref or the linesman seemd inclined to give it. For a fleeting moment, I thought that we were going to get away with it.

What incensed me was their winger Yeates screaming and shouting in the linesman's face which seemed to make up the linesman's mind and only then did he signal for the penalty.

I thought that the decision was correct - just maybe awarded under duress

I had a great view of the incident from the Dolman and immediately thought "penalty" but neither the ref or the linesman seemd inclined to give it. For a fleeting moment, I thought that we were going to get away with it.

What incensed me was their winger Yeates screaming and shouting in the linesman's face which seemed to make up the linesman's mind and only then did he signal for the penalty.

I thought that the decision was correct - just maybe awarded under duress

With you on this one RH - from half way Dullmoan - definate penalty and we would all have been disappointed had we not got one like that (oh wait - Palarse - man hands above head thinking he's playing volleyball??)

Yes, his arms were by his side, but from where I was sat - there definately looked like movement towards the ball, and my only real surprise was that the ref and lino took so long to give it.

Twas one of those "moments" i love about watching football.

As the ball hit Louis's arm the whole of the Atyeo collectively held its breath and there was a weird moment of silence because we all instinctively thought " Penalty".

Yes the lino did seem to take an age but it so was a penalty. Louis knew it , all the players knew it and tbh i think most of us knew it.

Dont matter though does it.... :D :D

Oh and Adam Johnson... what a co*k..... :sub: :sub: :sub:

From the dolman too I first thought 'Pen' - lets not be too hasty to feel hard done by after the palace game.. and thankfully this one didn't affect the result anyway.

Certainly would have been upset if it wasn't given at the other end.. remember the shout at QPR just before Maynard scored?

Its probably a good job it got awarded after the Palace incident, you could just imagine the papers response to cheating City, personally couldn't really see from Eastend but from the highlights some you get some you don't so cant really critisise the officials for it and i thought the ref did ok yesterday

When the pen was given, was it just me or did anyone else think of a Mr Sears smiling somewhere? whether it was a pen or not, my first thought was perhaps someone somewhere was setting straight 'Goalgate' :tumbleweed:

From where i was sat in the Atyeo i have to admit it looked a pen - albeit a very harshly given one - but hey these things happen in football right? Just thankful that the lads carried on to the end and didn't play for a draw.

....Oh yes and P.S. - how the linesman saw it though from that angle i'll never know.

People are very magmanimous in victory, I expect opinions would be different had we drawn.

Whatever happened to ball to hand? Thats how I saw it.

Thing is, it's pretty difficult to judge whether it's ball to hand or hand to ball, especially when there are a number of players around the ball.

With the linesman giving the pen as well, you can understand the referee's decision.

watched it 3 times now and the ref was talked into it. The lines man did not give it until the ref blew up

I didn't see exactly what happened for Boro to be given the penalty but was disappointed that it had to be a Boro penalty to cancel out that fantastic Maynard first goal. At least Maynard then got the second to give us the deserved win. A great game yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I did think it was a penalty, but what annoyed me was that it appeared that the linesman only decided to give it after the Boro player screamed in his face.

... and that was my view at the time as I stated earlier in this thread however, watching it this afternoon in slo-mo I saw the ball hit Carey and for an second or two neither linesman nor referee make any decision. The ref looks at the line-o hoping he'll give him a decision but none is forthcoming. Two Boro players start appealing to the ref and another to the linesman. The referee finally makes up his mind and points to the spot and only then does the linesman support him by putting his flag across his chest.

It was the ref who made the decision - the linesman merely followed suit.

I'd like to think that the ref wasn't influenced by the Boro players but I suspect he was. Anyway, from where I sat in the Dolman, it was a pen so justice was done.

... and that was my view at the time as I stated earlier in this thread however, watching it this afternoon in slo-mo I saw the ball hit Carey and for an second or two neither linesman nor referee make any decision. The ref looks at the line-o hoping he'll give him a decision but none is forthcoming. Two Boro players start appealing to the ref and another to the linesman. The referee finally makes up his mind and points to the spot and only then does the linesman support him by putting his flag across his chest.

It was the ref who made the decision - the linesman merely followed suit.

I'd like to think that the ref wasn't influenced by the Boro players but I suspect he was. Anyway, from where I sat in the Dolman, it was a pen so justice was done.

exactly... it was the ref that gave it, then the lino flagged. I don't know if the referee was influenced by the boro players, but just looked like he didnt know what to give. But with such doubt in his mind he shouldnt have given it! if there wasnt such doubt he wouldnt have needed to consult his linesman!

Having said this though, my initial reaction was penalty, just not impressed with the way it was awarded!

There are a few people saying it was a pen. Question for you. How on earth does that look deliberate to you?

Over half is more than a few.

Ball/hand hand/ball... sometimes it just doesnt matter in the same way that , for instance, Rooneys penalty the other day was not really a penalty as he was not in control of the ball. BUT the unwritten rule is that if you get there first and poke it past the keeper and he catches you its a pen.

Louis lent his body towards the ball to block it and it hit his arm. It was a pen. Gonna be given 99 times out of a hundred and we would be screaming blue murder if that had happened down the other end and not been given.

Archived