IGNORED

1st Eleven

gordie

ummmm sno is a defensive midfielder so those of you who put him behind maynard you need to rethink.

---------------gerken---------------

---orr----carey----fonts----macca---

-----------------sno-----------------

-----------marv-------skuse--------

---------------hartley----------------

---------maynard---clarkson--------

I will have saborio if he is better than clarkson.

Johnson is obviously not going for width so you might aswell play 4-1-2-1-2

...............................Gerkin

..................Carey - Fontaine - Nyatanga

Orr .........................................................McCallister

..................... Elliott - Hartley

.................................Sno

......................Maynard - Saborio

Henderson

Haynes

McCoombe

Akinde

Clarkson

Ribero

Johnson

sno is a cdm? :closedeyes:

Gerken

Orr

Carey

Nyatanga

McAllister

Haynes

Elliott

Skuse

Hartley

Maynard

Clarkson

Subs:

Basso

Fontaine

Johnson

Sproule

Blackman

Williams

Wilson

Thats My Starting 11 Before I Have Seen Our New 2 Signings. It Will Probably Change When I've Seen Them In Action For Myself.

:city:

ummmm sno is a defensive midfielder so those of you who put him behind maynard you need to rethink.

---------------gerken---------------

---orr----carey----fonts----macca---

-----------------sno-----------------

-----------marv-------skuse--------

---------------hartley----------------

---------maynard---clarkson--------

I will have saborio if he is better than clarkson.

Johnson is obviously not going for width so you might aswell play 4-1-2-1-2

Actually,he can play behind the front two and also possibly up front as well as in defence i think.That is some some club GJ has just signed!!!

------------------------------Gerken------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------Carey----------Fontaine----------Nyatanga----------

--Orr--------------------------------------------------McAllister--

--------------------Elliott-----------------Sno---------------------

------------------------------Hartley------------------------------

-----------------Maynard---------------Haynes------------------

Subs:

Basso

McCombe

Skuse

John

Sproule/Akinde

Clarkson

Saborio

wtf are you on about? :laugh:

unless you mean john akinde?

I think what you are trying to say is "through the whole season there are times when we will have to use many members of the squad and having a set first 11 isn't how it will pan out" if so I think your correct. Maybe a first 7 and then build around that for each match bringing in 'special' players to deal with specific threats.

Would not disagree with those comments.Its definitely a squad game now.

------------------Gerken----------------------

-------Carey--Nyatanga--Fontaine----------

--Orr----Skuse-Hartley--Elliott----McAllister

-------------Haynes--Maynard----------------

Basso

McCombe

Blackman

Sno

Saborio

Akinde

Clarkson

New signings shouldn't walk into the side, and all of our midfield played very well against Boro. Coventry away is not going to be the usual walkover this year so a combative midfield soaking up pressure and counter attacking front line would again seem to be sensible.

------------------Gerken----------------------

-------Carey--Nyatanga--Fontaine----------

--Orr----Skuse-Hartley--Elliott----McAllister

-------------Haynes--Maynard----------------

Basso

McCombe

Blackman

Sno

Saborio

Akinde

Clarkson

New signings shouldn't walk into the side, and all of our midfield played very well against Boro. Coventry away is not going to be the usual walkover this year so a combative midfield soaking up pressure and counter attacking front line would again seem to be sensible.

I would say oh wow thought you wanted 4-4-2 but indeed we have no wingers for that formation but I think we may well do with 3-5-2 all season but Orr needs to become a better wingback still.

I think although it was a more resilient performance than when we dominated a good team last at sheff utd a few seasons ago. it was still against a good Boro team. So I agree that these players shouldn't suddenly loose there places having said that I'm sure if either of the new signings play and impress than can't complain but do have to be cautious.

-------------------Gerken---------------------

-----------Carey Fonts Nyatanga-------------

Orr -----------------------------------McCallister

--------------Elliot Hartley Sno----------------

-------------- Maynard Saborio---------------

Oh yeah, looking forward to that at the gate... :chant6ez: :chant6ez:

Mine would be:

............................Gerken

............Carey.......Fontaine........Nyatanga

.....Orr........................................................McAllister

................Elliott....................Sno

.......................Hartley

..................Maynard............Clarkson

Subs:

Stephen Henderson

Jamie McCombe

Andre Blackman

Cole Skuse

Gavin Williams

John Akinde

Danny Haynes

I would say oh wow thought you wanted 4-4-2 but indeed we have no wingers for that formation but I think we may well do with 3-5-2 all season but Orr needs to become a better wingback still.

I think although it was a more resilient performance than when we dominated a good team last at sheff utd a few seasons ago. it was still against a good Boro team. So I agree that these players shouldn't suddenly loose there places having said that I'm sure if either of the new signings play and impress than can't complain but do have to be cautious.

I'd have preferred to have signed a left winger so we at least had a 442 option but unless GJ is prepared to put a lot of trust in Andre Blackman we haven't got that.

Looking at our squad we are exceptionally strong down the middle now so it seems to make sense to play the wing backs even given the limitations that I think Orr and McAllister have going forward.

Our performance on Saturday was as good as it gets against a side that was composed of better players. We made sure that the large amount of possession they had wasn't actually dangerous and hit them on the break.

Given the balance of our squad we probably need to do that an awful lot this season. We're going to be relying on the quick break or on midfielders arriving late in the box for goals after a centre forward has had to go wide to support wing backs.

It can be done but I think at some point we'll probably regret not replacing McIndoe (though I'm fairly sure we tried several left wingers and were beaten to them).

What we do have now is a real abundance of pace and a very strong central midfield, two things we really lacked up until this season.

so we have 2 new signings and it looks like no one has gone so whats your starting eleven, hard one me thinks : :closedeyes:

Gerken, Carey, Nyatanga, Fonts, Orr, Elliott, Hartley, Sno, Wilson, Maynard, Akinde.

The positions of Nyatanga & Fonts can be questioned. Sno is clearly the offensive central midfielder. Can't understand why people put Hartley in that position.

Guest AJ Sylvester

I think most people are agreed(ish) on starting XI (although no-one knows how good Saborio is right now - I'm going to put him behind Haynes for now on the basis he has to prove himself to be better). The real debate is the sub 7.

..................Gerken.......................

.......Carey...Fonts....Nyatanga.......

Orr.................................McAllister

............Sno........Elliott..................

...............Hartley.........................

.........Haynes.......Maynard............

[in that formation who plays most forward of the midfield three I'm not too sure but I would guess at Hartley]

SUBS

Henderson (Basso for now)

McCombe

Skuse

Williams

Spoule

Clarkson

Saborio

Brian Wilson could get a place at the expense of Sproule to give two defenders but with 5 starting, McCombe there and Skuse also an option it's take one hell of a problem to be short of cover there as reverting to four defenders should be easy.

Lee Johnson was ahead of Williams in the pecking order last season and I assume he still is. Personally I can't see him winning games from the bench or being tight enough to be a defensive midfielder so sorry, he drops out for now.

John Akinde has every chance of keeping his place on the bench at least. If Saborio or Clarkson don't work out then he can get in easily...he could even be starting if he does very well.

Blackman has done nothing wrong. He may be my 22nd player but who knows? He has every chance of taking the place of Williams or Sproule on the bench...or EVEN McAllister in the starting line-up given time.

When Sno played against City for Ajax he impressed with his attacking play and powerfull running with the ball and I imagine thats the role Johnson will want him to play.

That means that if Hartley continues to play in front of the defence and Sno adopts a more attacking role it begs the question of what role Elliot will have.

If Johnson sticks with the wing backs in a 3-5-2 who will make way?

Clarkson? Haynes? maybe even Elliot.

Interesting dilema and I've not even considered where Alvaro will play yet....

When Sno played against City for Ajax he impressed with his attacking play and powerfull running with the ball and I imagine thats the role Johnson will want him to play.

That means that if Hartley continues to play in front of the defence and Sno adopts a more attacking role it begs the question of what role Elliot will have.

If Johnson sticks with the wing backs in a 3-5-2 who will make way?

Clarkson? Haynes? maybe even Elliot.

Interesting dilema and I've not even considered where Alvaro will play yet....

Why will elliot have to give way ? He continue to plug away alongside Hartley.

Glancing quickly through this, my impression is that there is a pattern of opinion emerging.

Most people seem to go for a formation that uses three at the back. The most popular line up there is Carey/Nyatanga/ Fontaine (with which I am inclined to agree, unless perhaps we are playing opposition who have somebody like Adebola in their side, in which case, in keeping with the "horses for courses" approach, I might - but only might - be tempted to select Mc Combe).

The players in our current starting eleven (when fit) who have been most frequently omitted here appear to be Skuse and Clarkson. I make no comment on this. It's simply an interesting observation.

Orr and McAllister, on the whole, seem to be most people's choice to be retained in their current wing-back roles, which I suggest tells you a lot about where the relative strengths and weaknesses lie in the squad, since I think both are orthodox full-backs struggling to be something they're not. Of the likely alternatives, Wilson is not rated by many, though he's more of a natural there, as he has played both full-back and wing earlier in his career. Blackman is only eighteen and an unknown quantity. Out-and-out wingers are conspicuous by their absence, whether because we don't possess a left-footed one, the right-footed ones are not considered good enough, or the latter are already busy playing up front.

Speaking of which, and just to add a little controversy, Haynes is, to my mind - and this will probably attract a storm of condemnation - the most over-rated player, having been chosen in the starting line-up by many. He wouldn't get into mine, based strictly on performances so far, unless he can transform himself overnight into a right wing-back (which would be an interesting experiment, by the way). He has great pace, undoutedly, by I have yet to be convinced about the final product. He lacks composure as a finisher, on what we've seen so far.

We could always field a goalie and ten midfield players: I reckon we've just about got enough of those.

Both on this thread, and on several others, reference has been made to our situation with wingers or more to the point our lack of them. Now I know I'm getting on a bit, but I don't think my memory from last season is that poor. I recall a significant amount critism of MM continually "tucking infield" and much debate as to whether he was playing narrow to instructions or not. Our two wingers last season produced very little in terms of traditional wing play in my view. Sproule has the pace but hardly ever an end product and MM had little inclination or enough pace to get down the left flank and deliver quality crosses. I suspect that Jamie Mac put as many left footed crosses in as MM.

I don't think therefore that our lack of "natural wingers" this season is much to worry about. We now have what appears to be the strongest midfield since possibly our last time in the top flight, and if we can produce quality service to the front players with support from the midfield then the prospects for the season look promising.

Both on this thread, and on several others, reference has been made to our situation with wingers or more to the point our lack of them. Now I know I'm getting on a bit, but I don't think my memory from last season is that poor. I recall a significant amount critism of MM continually "tucking infield" and much debate as to whether he was playing narrow to instructions or not. Our two wingers last season produced very little in terms of traditional wing play in my view. Sproule has the pace but hardly ever an end product and MM had little inclination or enough pace to get down the left flank and deliver quality crosses. I suspect that Jamie Mac put as many left footed crosses in as MM.

I don't think therefore that our lack of "natural wingers" this season is much to worry about. We now have what appears to be the strongest midfield since possibly our last time in the top flight, and if we can produce quality service to the front players with support from the midfield then the prospects for the season look promising.

I wouldn't be as concerned at our lack of wingers if I felt we had wing backs that were good enough to provide width going forward, I just don't think we do.

Sometimes playing narrow and counter attacking will work. Sometimes it won't. We don't appear to have much alternative with the balance of the squad.

--------------------Gerken---------------------

-----Carey------Fontaine------Nyatanga------

----Orr-------Elliott-----Hartley---McAllister---

----------------------Sno------------------------

----------Haynes-----------Maynard-----------

Subs:

Henderson

McCombe

Wilson

Skuse

Williams

Clarkson

Saborio

It's a tough one, cos it means leaving out Johnson and Sproule, but I've put the most useful and most effective subs on the bench.

We're about the same age, mate, so I know what you mean about memory! In fact, I don't think there's much wrong with yours, either. Service from the wings wasn't great last season, even with McIndoe in the side, though as you say, that might have had at least something to do with the fact that, in some games at least, he had clearly been instructed to play as an additional midfielder.

Your point is a perfectly fair one. I wasn't particularly trying to argue to the contrary. I think all I would say is that, in my experience, sides lacking in width struggle sooner or later. It's as important as pace when it comes to trying to break teams down. If we elect to go without traditional wingers, fine, but we then become heavily dependent on our wing-backs, and there I would stand by my comments about Orr and McAllister. I'm not knocking them. They were signed as full-backs and, as such, both are competent, for which I give them due respect, but wing-backs, mmmh, not so sure, based on what one's seen so far.

I do agree about the central midfield, though: it does look very strong now, so it must be hoped that we will have the quality there to play through teams rather than getting round and behind them. The prospects are intriguing. I may be an old git, but I'm still capable of getting excited when I read that we've signed two players of apparently quite high calibre (with the added proviso, also born of age, that the proof of the pudding, etc, etc. - we haven't seen either one in a competitive CCC game yet...)

Interesting times ahead!

I wouldn't be as concerned at our lack of wingers if I felt we had wing backs that were good enough to provide width going forward, I just don't think we do.

Sometimes playing narrow and counter attacking will work. Sometimes it won't. We don't appear to have much alternative with the balance of the squad.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't believe that we had wingers, or at least effective ones last season, so the fact that MM has gone is no great loss in terms of out and out wing play. We do though now appear to have more creative and combative midfield players. The formation they are used in is up to the manager of course, and for really tough fixtures a back four of for instance, Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, McCallister plus a midfield of Hartley, Skuse, Elliot, and Sno should be a match for most opposition if GJ doesn't want to go with the wingback formation.

As much as I like to see it I think the days of having flying wingers tearing down each flank are largely a thing of the past as it can leave the central areas prone to being over-run and controlled by the opposition.

We shall see! :fingerscrossed:

Archived