IGNORED

Eastville

Us_and_Them

My first memory of football, and i hesitate when i say football. My dad used to take me to eastville to watch rovers and maybe i was just too young as i was more intersested in watching the cars stop on m32 and then watch the police move them on :laugh:

Anyway i was saved at about the age of 10 when my parents friend took me to the gate, i was hooked instantly.

I remember glynn riley and walsh, those were hard days as i learnt about citys history and are div 1 status.

one of highlights in my life was being in the eastend when we played notts forest in semi, what an atmosphere that was that day, will

always be remember along with keith waugh performance that day, quality!

My dad died of cancer just over a year ago now and was a blue, not sure if ironic is the right word to use but he is now burried on bedminster down overlooking the gate, im sure he would find the funny side :laugh:

My first big game was the Final at wembley against Stoke a while back. Dont know what competition or anything and wasn't particularly interested, just remember thinking 'wow this place is massive' and before the game the PA person said they had a game where you have to check under your seat and if there was a star with a number on you won a prize and i won a signed football.

I thought that was so cool i asked my dad to take me to a game the next season or the one after or something and it was when we played Grimbsy and as the PA announcer was saying how much injury time their would be Christian roberts scored the winner down by me, since then iv never missed a home game.

Gosh. I think I was pre M32. My Dad was a blue and died 3 years ago. Used to take me to watch Geoff Bradford, Harold Jarman, old man Mabbutt, peter hooper, Petherbridge etc.

Then my Grandad, my Dads Father-In -Law , I think there was something not quite right there but used to take me to Ashton Gate in the John atyeo days. AG won out with me as I am still a fan

Good to hear other people have got similar memories! Maybe it was age and hormones but that first game at the gate was amazing. They had/have my support til my last day!

And still think football is very tribal, we're all proud of where we come from and where our roots are!

Please don't feel awkwerd about making a comment because of the death. The main topic really is memories such as mine

1st game was against tranmere (about 1992 i think???)

remember gary shelton pulling the strings in midfield and cutting his head open and being bandaged up and carrying on and scoring (dont get that these days!!!)

game finished 2-2 but we should have won 3-2 cus gavin(i think) had a goal dissalowed for fcu~ all :laugh:

was hooked from then on and regular travel down form up here in the sunny midlands but sadly not as much as i would like due to work restraints and family commitments! but will be at the ricoh in just over a week!!! 10 mins from where i live!

Cant remember which year but it was night game against tranmere and we lost 6-0? gutted. anywat we made weekend of it and decided on wolve v portsmouth. i also supported liverpool and wore top, got some deadly looks in wolves end although div difference but i guess they realised my age, few :laugh:

must of been around 1990/91/92 oh i don't know :laugh:

My first ever game was in 67, an FA Cup replay against Everton, when Ball, Harvey and Kendall was their midfield. Apparently we lost 5-0, but cant remember a ******* thing about it ,as i was only 5. My old man decided i was too young to go after that, so didnt go to a game again til about 1970.

My uncle was a gashead, and took me on the Tote to watch Preston and i remember crying because Rovers won. That was enough for me and me dad, he then started taking me again to watch the likes of Galley, Parr, Rooks and Spiring.

I never looked back after that. I now have 2 sisters, 2 brother in laws, neices and nephews and mates, who watch Rovers home and away, and i just feel sorry for them.

My first memory of football, and i hesitate when i say football. My dad used to take me to eastville to watch rovers and maybe i was just too young as i was more intersested in watching the cars stop on m32 and then watch the police move them on :laugh:

Anyway i was saved at about the age of 10 when my parents friend took me to the gate, i was hooked instantly.

I remember glynn riley and walsh, those were hard days as i learnt about citys history and are div 1 status.

one of highlights in my life was being in the eastend when we played notts forest in semi, what an atmosphere that was that day, will

always be remember along with keith waugh performance that day, quality!

My dad died of cancer just over a year ago now and was a blue, not sure if ironic is the right word to use but he is now burried on bedminster down overlooking the gate, im sure he would find the funny side :laugh:

A game against the Gas at Eastville was my first time watching BCFC away. I think it may have been an old Gloucester Cup final and the ground was packed. One of their main stands used to sag in the middle. To be fair, Eastville really was a proper traditional football ground. There used to be big Victorian gas drums outside and they leaked gas so the ground stunk of gas when the wind was blowing from those containers.

1st game was City vs Nottingham Forest (ironically the city in which i lived 1 year previous to the game) worthington cup semi final i believe.. and drew 0-0, every time i went down the gate we would draw 0-0, this happened for about 4 games.

The day we scored it scared the living daylights out of me because i was not expecting that kind of noise!

First game was home to Oldham, last game of 64-65 season, we won 2-0 (Atyeo and Clark scored I think) and got promoted to division 2, I was 9 and stood by the railings at the front of the encloser, at the end of the game the players came out in the directors box to acknowledge the crowd. I was hooked and have been going ever since.

First game for me was December 79. Stood on a milk crate in the EE with my mate so we could see, our dad's behind us cheering the lads on. We played Spurs and lost 1 nil, which wasnt a bad result considering the team they had with the likes of Hoddle, Ardiles, Villa etc..

BCFC (and the EE) has always had a special place in my heart since that day...

:city:

Heck, that 64-65 season was a bit of a vintage.

That's when I started going to the Gate with my very reluctant, rugby loving farther. My mum's side was red so I think she must have persuaded him to take me. Initially, it was alternate rugby/football but dad gave up with the rugby after watching me swinging on the pitch side railings at the Memorial Ground and doing an accidental 360 degree turn which brought applause from the whole stand and great embarresment to him. Still can't fathom to this day how my body passed through a 6 inch gap between the verticle rails!

My first away game was wembely against mansfield town 88/89? when we lost on pens big JJ inflatable teeth and a huge banner that quote the safety of keith waugh in comparison to a latex recepticle. At 12 going 13 with them 2 birds what got they t**s out and hoarse an hour before kick off the game i was in my element old wembers could see fark all old terrace standing with the family uncles cousins dad was the best day out ever only let down was the result but i wasnt deflated what an atmosphere the old place had havent been to the new one yet but i cant see its the same. strangest thing for me was it was the second and the last game i went with my dad to watch city as my parents had seperated a long time before and i went on my own and stood on the park end down the front behind the goal which is why i love the atyeo end. I have used every stand bar the williams at the gate over the years but memories of the park end giving it large to the away fans in the corner where they used to be before the atyeo was built happy days.

Gosh. I think I was pre M32. My Dad was a blue and died 3 years ago. Used to take me to watch Geoff Bradford, Harold Jarman, old man Mabbutt, peter hooper, Petherbridge etc.

Then my Grandad, my Dads Father-In -Law , I think there was something not quite right there but used to take me to Ashton Gate in the John atyeo days. AG won out with me as I am still a fan

Same with me Cink. My Grandad use to live at the top of Muller Road and took me to Eastville to see Rovers in about 1960-61. He used to stand with his cronies, I think they used to stand by some sort of tea kiosk to the right hand side of the tote end, and I was deposited down the front with the other little kids.

Luckily I saw the light and went to my first game at Ashton Gate in 1967 - a 3rd round FA cup win against Southampton and was hooked.

My first City game was that Nottingham Forest League Cup semi at the Gate. Was invited/taken by a friend, was hooked from there on in. Like a few us on here I'm from north of the border, if somebody had said 25 years ago you'll be a Bristol City supporter one day, I would have thought, eh! Oh the first game I went to was Hibs V. Celtic 1977, Hibs won 2-1, then there was a mass brawl outside Easter Road, never seen anything like it or since, thankfully.

City 5 Coventry 0

I think it was Joe Royle's debut and a boxing day match in about 1978? I think Joe got a hat-trick.

What an inauguration!! I was hooked after that. :)

We certainly have the hex over Coventry, can't remember the last time they beat us.

JR's debut was aginst Boro and we won 4-1 I think, Royle got all four.

First game was an evening match on the coldest day I can ever remember. Can't remember hardly anything else. I was 5 and the likes of Walshy doing step overs down the wing crossing the ball into Steve Neville is about all I can remember. Good times.

First Game at Ashton Gate? Season 1970/71 I think. We played Fulham and lost 2-1. I was brought back later that season (or maybe the Season after) to see City beat Sunderland.

First Game at Eastville? I was never overly interested in going to Eastville til the 80's. I remember being tucked into the Muller Road End along with many other City fans, as a van pulled up on the Hard Shoulder and unfurled a flag marked "GasBusters". We lost that game too. :crying:

Archived