IGNORED

Eastville

Us_and_Them

Cant remember which year but it was night game against tranmere and we lost 6-0? gutted. anywat we made weekend of it and decided on wolve v portsmouth. i also supported liverpool and wore top, got some deadly looks in wolves end although div difference but i guess they realised my age, few :laugh:

must of been around 1990/91/92 oh i don't know :laugh:

I remember the tranmere game got in late lost 6-0 then stayed in chester at a youth hostel, we also went to wolves next day and stood in the wolves end remember my mate asking who the person on the front of the program was and the looks we recieved when someone told him it was their manager :laugh:.

I was six and wasn't meant to be going. My two elder brothers used to go with my great-grandfather and my mother and I was always left behind as they feared I was too young. However, on this occasion my eldest brother was ill, they already had the ticket so took me instead. I remember getting on the coach to go to the ground and sitting in the Dolman.

I couldn't tell you what game it was or the score, but I do remember there were huge queues to get in with many waiting at the turnstiles as the game kicked off, not sure why.

i have to admit that my early football was at eastville late 60,s. first game was home to tranmere all i can remember every time kenny stevens got the ball the place went wild. my dad was a ta soldier so was,nt around much on weekends so a family friend used to take me to city. first game was in a half empty gate watching city get beat 3-1 by sunderland but for some reason i was hooked. so when my dad was ready to take me again city were in the first division. dad was never a blue or red but came from wrexham. i used to love taking the micky out of him but most often they would have the upper hand against us. brings a tear to my eye when i see where they are now but don,t tell the old git that he would think i was going soft.

Our gashead Cub Scout Leader tried to indoctrinate us into becoming Rovers fans by taking us on a group outing to the Glos. Cup Final at Eastville. :grr:

He thought there would be trouble in the Tote End, so we went in the Open End with the City fans and ended up right by the wall at the front.

City thrashed Rovers 5-0, I hated the look of the Rovers shirts, and decided City were the club for me. So a mighty failure for the miserable scheming gashead who must have ensured City about 20 new supporters that night. :yes::city:

I can still picture the City fans running on and trampling the Rovers' flower beds in celebration as the Cup was lifted.

First game at the Gate I can remember clearly was the City - Spurs semi final. Huge queues, and by the time we got into the East End we could barely get past the mass of fans wedged at the top of the entrance slope. Remember Gilzean's bald head flashing under the floodlights as he nodded one in for Spurs and the excitement of the booming noise of the East End crowd across to my right, and the tumultuous celebrations for our equaliser, as well as the constant bright flickering of cigarette lighters in the near darkness at the back of the stand.

An early non Glos Cup City match at Eastville was in about 73. It was a horrible day, and with a powerful wind against us, we were 1-0 down at half time. But, after changing ends, and with the wind on our backs we were all over them and scored 4, if I remember rightly, with Keith Fear getting a couple.

Again, an abiding memory is of the fantastic City support - the whole Open End seemed a mass of Red & White, and the passion of the fans and the joy as the team turned the game on it's head and slaughtered Rovers on their own patch in the 2nd half was almost unbelievable.

City 5 Coventry 0

I think it was Joe Royle's debut and a boxing day match in about 1978? I think Joe got a hat-trick.

What an inauguration!! I was hooked after that. :)

My first game too!!

Stood on a ( the familiar) milk crate on the open end. Always remeber going back to my relatives house on the Wells Road for a Boxing day family bash and the result being on the national news sports headlines.

Boxing day 1974 for me aged 7.

City played the Taffs at AG. Stood on a box in the enclosure for what seemed like hours with my dad.

0-0 if I remember rightly.

First away game was the Arsenal in 1976 thanks to my old man.

We have a duty to make sure our kids follow the City, nothing else will do!

Well written. :winner_third_h4h:

My maternal Bristolian Grandfather saw to it that I'd follow City. My parents were not Bristolian so my Grandfather took it upon himself to shepherd me on the path of the righteous Bristolian.

Fair play to your grandfather, he has saved you from total misery :laugh:

Fair play to your grandfather, he has saved you from total misery :laugh:

He probably saved me from the 'misery' of watching Bristol Rugby week in week out while supping beer on the terraces. :innocent06:

You are right because I'm pretty sure his father-in-law supported the Gas so he wasn't going to let me endure the same life of misery. He actually liked his father-in-law because he fought in the Boer War and had plenty of tales to tell about the Dutch Boers and the legendary Zulus - and...ahem.....probably tales of the numerous heavy Gas defeats he'd witnessed.

I remember the tranmere game got in late lost 6-0 then stayed in chester at a youth hostel, we also went to wolves next day and stood in the wolves end remember my mate asking who the person on the front of the program was and the looks we recieved when someone told him it was their manager :laugh:.

In that case i do believe i was in same van as you! :laugh:

my first game was against wimblebon we won for 4-2 that day,dad was one of the photographers i was 5and sat on the side lines on a milk create i remember watching john shaw in sticks. i was hooked after that and spent the next 15 years floatin between the east end on my dads shoulders and the open end standing with head between the bars,before i joined the army now i get back down when ever i can which is about 8 games a season. they were happy times

Guest Red Nee Tot

Got to say lads i am different. My very first professional game was City v Notts County ( taken by my dad ) 16 th Dec 1961 .City won 6 - 1. My next game was at Eastville Rovers lost 2-0 to Stoke City . During the 60's me & my dad alternated between City & Rovers until about 1967 -68 season. I then realised I enjoyed myself more at Eastville and so started to go home & away with Rovers from the 1969-70 season until now. Got to say i never looked back.

Although i always wanted City to do well when they reached the first division.

First game 64-65 season away at Bournemouth in the 2nd Round of the F.A. Cup won 3-0, Followed by 1st game at AG 1-1 draw in the 3rd round against sheff utd stood behind the stan Butt advertisement board made of tin. Within two years we had kicked it to bits. First time on the AG pitch at the end of the Oldham promotion game to see Atyeo, Clark and team celebrate in the Williams stand.

First game City v Plymouth in 1966 , we won 1-0 , loved it

First trip to Eastville , Gloucester Cup Final , Gas 0 City 5 , really loved it

I was at Eastville that day. In fact I think it was an evening match

at end of season hot and balmy spring night. Fantastic atmosphere.

Correct me if i'm wrong-0-0 at half time.

Second half goals by all of the front line. Two wingers Skirton and Sharpe?

Centre forward Galley. Inside forward Garland with a brilliant header

and now memory has gone - :help: maybe Kellard.

Help me out here.

my first game was southampton vs ipswich in the fundraiser at AG in in 1982.

taken to the game by my history teacher, steve ryan, a gas head!

I was also there after having gone to the Natural History Museum with him the same day.... He's mates with Peter Aitken which is why he flogged us all tickets at school..

But most definitely still a gashead.....

My first game was in 1974 but being a Bedminster boy had no real decision to make, we used to go and watch the likes of Merrick, Mann and co train on the pitch in the school holidays. My son is now a season ticket holder with me so the tradition lives on.....

Archived