IGNORED

What Year Was It

Us_and_Them

He was mainly taken out by a ''footballer'' going by the name of Ian Alexander. I can't think of anyone I hated more in my primary school days. That guy was dirty b@st@rd and was only there for one thing.

I remember it was the same year that we had Dave Smith on the other wing. Smudger bombing down the wing and launching the ball into the box and Mark Gavin dancing his way past players.

Anyone remember Bolton away on our promotion season? Dave Smith got taken out by some bolton player (this was before they moved to the reebok) and the pitch seemed to be raised up about 3 or 4 foot. Smudger cartwheeled in the air and disappeared down the side of the pitch...

Great day out though... Seem to remember we lost 1-0 and Bob Taylor did his hamstring in again.

Irish Red

I remember it was the same year that we had Dave Smith on the other wing. Smudger bombing down the wing and launching the ball into the box and Mark Gavin dancing his way past players.

Anyone remember Bolton away on our promotion season? Dave Smith got taken out by some bolton player (this was before they moved to the reebok) and the pitch seemed to be raised up about 3 or 4 foot. Smudger cartwheeled in the air and disappeared down the side of the pitch...

Great day out though... Seem to remember we lost 1-0 and Bob Taylor did his hamstring in again.

Irish Red

Lost 1-0 we did ...although Super Bob had already been injured scoring his 3rd in a 4-1 hammering of Crewe a week or so earlier - I remember watching him do a fitness test before the Bolton game - all the crossing of fingers and rubbing of lucky pennies were a complete waste of time as he didnt play - in fact I dont think he played again in what was a very entertaining season of great attacking football..........5-1 Away to Swansea is a classic example

Everywhere we went oppo fans were coming up and saying how entertaining a team we were

and I still got a cutitng from the Guardian calling us the "Real Madrid" of the Third division after a particularly good passing performance at Elm Park (Reading 1-1)

What I recall of Blunden park is the supermarket taking up half the away end & If we had one we were up with only Gas Away and Walsall Home to follow if I remember correctly - hence the mad turnout!

Also remember somone in the services on the way up selling dodgy tickets for the sold out Trumpton showdown with the Gas which was coming up the following Tues or Wed ......

My mate actualy bought one and surprise surprise didnt get past the police spot checks which had been set up on the approach to Trumpton however he is a deaf mute from birth so played the handicap card to perfection and the Police handed him over to stewards who duly took him in gave him a cup of tea and he joined us on the terrace just before kick off! (where there's a will hey!)

Good days indeed

That was my first season of following City. I was 6 years old, and I finally got my Dad to take me to a game after lots of nagging... Bob Taylor scored in that one vs Mansfield in the 88th minute after we went 1-0 down.

It was so sad that such a great footballing team full of talent and flair was beaten to the title by a horrible bunch of long ball merchants that relied on kicking lumps out of the opposition to get results. Ian Alexander, Vaughan Jones, Ian Holloway, Devon White, David Mehew....I hated them all, the bunch of filthy thugs.

For an interesting and humerous write up of that 89-90 season (was it really 20 years ago?), read "My favourite year".

That is an anthology in which fans of different clubs write about favourite season supporting their club. Matt Holland wrote about the 89-90 season for City. The chapter is titled "Thighs of an elephant" which is a reference to Bob Taylor.

Hopefully it's available in the library, if not try Waterstones, Smiths or a similar book shop.

That was my first season of following City. I was 6 years old, and I finally got my Dad to take me to a game after lots of nagging... Bob Taylor scored in that one vs Mansfield in the 88th minute after we went 1-0 down.

It was so sad that such a great footballing team full of talent and flair was beaten to the title by a horrible bunch of long ball merchants that relied on kicking lumps out of the opposition to get results. Ian Alexander, Vaughan Jones, Ian Holloway, Devon White, David Mehew....I hated them all, the bunch of filthy thugs.

Don't get me started on Devon White. All elbows my Dad used to say. He wouldn't even make a living these days. Makes Dele Adebola look like the fairy Godmother. As for Hollowhead, how he's still a championship manager I'll never know. the blokes got the class of a chav and the class and mannerisms of a tramp.

thats the game i lost my eyesight. just before game started and inside ground so didnt see game as i was being stitched up at the hospital.

plus i had to remain in hospital for a further 3 days due to the seriousness of the injury

I've got to know Boris quite well through my best mate - he'd be horrified to be lumped in with those other thugs! Boris could play a bit, and always scored against us!

First time I was introduced to him it went something like this - Boris, this is Woodsy, he thinks you're a right ****. Nothing like breaking the ice, eh!

For an interesting and humerous write up of that 89-90 season (was it really 20 years ago?), read "My favourite year".

That is an anthology in which fans of different clubs write about favourite season supporting their club. Matt Holland wrote about the 89-90 season for City. The chapter is titled "Thighs of an elephant" which is a reference to Bob Taylor.

Hopefully it's available in the library, if not try Waterstones, Smiths or a similar book shop.

Yes the book in question was produced by the football magazine "When Saturday Comes" (WSC), I think the author of "Thighs of an Elephant" the chapter on City and Super Bob in particular was Called Matt Nation (a City fan) and regular contributer to WSC back in the day.

Well this got me looking back at my original "Matchday magazine" (cost 1 pound). Bristol City vs West Brom 1991 (I was a very proud City Mascot) - we had just lost to Rovers away 3-2 after coming back from 2 - 0 to get to 2 - 2 only to lose 3 - 2. luckily I didn't go to that game and was very happy to watch my team beat Westbrom 2 - 0.

Things of note from the Magazine:

VHS or betamax tapes of every game available for 15 quid - expensive by today rates let alone then.

Only 5 teams in the league with better average attendances (ours was 13,194) teams were - Newcastle (18,094), Wolves(16,767), Middlesbrough(18,352), Shef Wed (25,296) and West ham(21,861).

Hooligan hotline 071 230 5340 - maybe some clubs still need this but maybe a different number as this looks more like a mobile (number short, I know).

Portsmouth had just been bought for 450 quid - nothing changes except we haven't beaten them 4 - 1 for a while.

Someone had just been dispatched to the Gulf - nothing changes!

We were mid table after 26 games with a negative goal difference - Ok something's change this year we will be top after 26 games still with a negative goal difference though :whistle: .

player profile Matt Bryant - No car.

A good article at the end from Lord Justice Taylor about how CCTV is making a major impact on hooligan problems within grounds and bringing troublemakers to justice - nothing in there about how its Hooligans that stand all game and the need for enforced seating though. :whistle2:

Archived