IGNORED

Basso

Pete1975Legend

With SL again regards contract according to GJ on player, lets hope it can be resolved, have to say considering it was his first game back last night, he played extremely well.

The grass isn't always greener springs to mind - maybe someone should have said that to him when he was playing silly buggers and turning down a very lucrative contract.

He'll make a more than decent bench goalie, but I think Deano is the future.

Dont see what there is to talk about, either sign the contract or dont, there is no way he will be able to negotiate any more money into the deal, if anything it should now be less....teach him to sign it in the first place and not go around with delusions of grandeur.

Dont see what there is to talk about, either sign the contract or dont, there is no way he will be able to negotiate any more money into the deal, if anything it should now be less....teach him to sign it in the first place and not go around with delusions of grandeur.

That would be my stance too. It maybe harsh but I hope he is being offered a lesser contract. Whether he was right or wrong his actions must have disrupted our pre-season and caused a lot of upset. OK our signing of Gerkin has worked out but at the time there was a lot of uncertainty.

How things have changed. At first it seemed Basso was holding the club to ransom but now surely the club is in the stronger position, Basso is not as sought after as he might have thought. I hope they use this to their advantage.

Basso though did seem to play a part in last nights result so at least he has remained fit and professionally focused, so he has to be recognised for that at least.

Basso though did seem to play a part in last nights result so at least he has remained fit and professionally focused, so he has to be recognised for that at least.

Agreed. More than happy for him to be at the club and doing as good a job for us as he always did. Just wish he had signed straight away and saved any of this hassle....cost him the No.1 jersey.

That would be my stance too. It maybe harsh but I hope he is being offered a lesser contract. Whether he was right or wrong his actions must have disrupted our pre-season and caused a lot of upset. OK our signing of Gerkin has worked out but at the time there was a lot of uncertainty.

How things have changed. At first it seemed Basso was holding the club to ransom but now surely the club is in the stronger position, Basso is not as sought after as he might have thought. I hope they use this to their advantage.

Spot on, the club could offer 10-20% ££ less than they did orignally!

It's nice to hear he's remained professional and trained well, maybe oohhhh Basssoooo will be heard again soon!?

Spot on, the club could offer 10-20% ££ less than they did orignally!

It's nice to hear he's remained professional and trained well, maybe oohhhh Basssoooo will be heard again soon!?

Not from me it wont be.

I won't post the exact details of my conversation with Basso, as I think that would go against the spirit of our discussion. However, after I somehow completed the Half Marathon the other week, I took the family for a bite to eat on Park Street and who happened to be in the restaurant was our very own Adriano Basso (with his wife/girlfriend). Now please get into my mind set, I was still alive after running 13.1 miles which was a massive bonus, so approaching our flamboyant reserve shot-stopper was no issue.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I had a chat with him for 10-15mins and he was nothing other than delightful to speak with. It is clear he holds BCFC in the highest of regards and from what he told me it seemed very clear that he never wanted to leave, but thought that he had been put into an impossible position and that the only way out was quite literally to consider other options. Having sat there and looked him straight in the eyes I have to take his words at face value. I suppose there are always two sides to every story, but he did seem very genuine.

I have always liked watching Basso play for us, I think he gives his all for the cause and is actually a pretty good, if not very good keeper. To boot, he has given us some real fun from the terraces with the whole "ohh Bassooooooo" and "Always Believe" banter. He has always had a good rapore with the fans and I went to great lengths to tell him so......it was quite a moment as it was the first time in the conversation that he and his wife/girlfriend had stopped to take breath, and they seemed a little taken a back by what I was saying. Although I thought important to tell him that handing in a written transfer request was an act that many BCFC had not liked and if he did eventually stay, it might take a little time to heal some of the wounds and opinions held by some as a result of his actions.

Why did I go out of my way to speak to him, well mainly because I think from a purely playing perspective he is a very good asset to have, either as first choice keeper or back-up (you can choose on that one)........also, because I think he is a decent bloke all in all and I gauge the later on his selfless actions after our play-off final defeat, where he took it upon himself to go around each BCFC team member giving words of comfort, at a time when he had every right to feel as sorry for his self as the rest of team.

I hope he stays.

i'd imagine that as basso was offered a big weekly wage and turned it down that that proportion of the playing budget was subsequently spent elsewhere. in fact im pretty sure it would of been after the velicka inuury and deals for sno and alvaro. im sure basso wont get the same offer he did before the window shut and rightly so.

its hard to see how basso was put in the awkward position he seems to be claiming he was. unless he is saying that GJ is lying and that the deal offered to him wasnt as big GJ as is leading us to beleive. somehow i cant see that. ive heard that it was comfortably over the 5 figure per week mark. thats some difficult position to be put in!!!

having said that he is a great keeper and if he signs and knuckles down to fight for the no1 jersey with deano and hendo i will be pleased to still have him at the gate.

It is clear he holds BCFC in the highest of regards and from what he told me it seemed very clear that he never wanted to leave, but thought that he had been put into an impossible position and that the only way out was quite literally to consider other options.

Would love to know what the "impossible situation" that stopped him signing the best contract any player has been offered* in the history of our club actually was?

*allegedly

...maybe he dropped the pen & it broke. :)

Whatever happened or happens I hope the situation is resolved amicably & the good ship Bristol City can set sail again with a happy captain & crew all pulling together, ship shape & Bristol fashion once again... Last night was a good start imo! :city:

Just like a family bust up -deal with it, move on & bear no grudges. (ffs we dont wanna end up on the Jeremy Kyle show)

Whatever happened or happens I hope the situation is resolved amicably & the good ship Bristol City can set sail again with a happy captain & crew all pulling together, ship shape & Bristol fashion once again... Last night was a good start imo!

Just like a family bust up -deal with it, move on & bear no grudges. (ffs we dont wanna end up on the Jeremy Kyle show)

:clapping::clapping:

Spot on.

i'd imagine that as basso was offered a big weekly wage and turned it down that that proportion of the playing budget was subsequently spent elsewhere. in fact im pretty sure it would of been after the velicka inuury and deals for sno and alvaro. im sure basso wont get the same offer he did before the window shut and rightly so.

its hard to see how basso was put in the awkward position he seems to be claiming he was. unless he is saying that GJ is lying and that the deal offered to him wasnt as big GJ as is leading us to beleive. somehow i cant see that. ive heard that it was comfortably over the 5 figure per week mark. thats some difficult position to be put in!!!

You have no idea at all.

Basso has been portrayed as the villian is this sorry saga whereas he's much more an innocent party than fans have been led to believe.

I went into details on this forum a while ago only to have the post removed so theres no point going into it again.

You have no idea at all.

Basso has been portrayed as the villian is this sorry saga whereas he's much more an innocent party than fans have been led to believe.

I went into details on this forum a while ago only to have the post removed so theres no point going into it again.

I think its fair to say, he knows as much as you.... unless you work at the club?

You have no idea at all.

Without stiring up any trouble on here Robbo, are you able to at least confirm or deny that Basso rejected an offer that would of made him one of if not the top earner at the club?

Depends on the truth, but if he rejected a respectable offer for his services and it was truely the best deal we could put to him then i dont see how the fans could see it any other way than he is the villian in it all.

You have no idea at all.

Because it was complete and utter bulls**t maybe?

I think its fair to say, he knows as much as you.... unless you work at the club?

I don't think you need to work at the club to have knowledge of 'insider' information. I think plenty of people who use this forum have players as mates or family working at the club.

Why would the club have to go 'softly' in negotiations with him?...Why would it have 'set him back a month or two' when it was stated in the press that he had 'climbed down'?........its clear that Basso obviously feels strongly about something the club has done (and the something is something nobody is willing to put in writing on here or in the press), strong enough to feel he was left with no other option but to turn down a allegedly lucrative new contract....?????!!!!

If it was simply a case of thanks for the new contract offer but no thanks, I'm bigger and better than this club, (hence the villian) there is no way the club would still be talking to him about signing a new contract and they certainly wouldn't be adopting such a careful thoughout 'softly-softly' approach so as not to 'set him back' again.

Im confused honestly i am.....i thought we offered him a deal, he refused, wanted either more cash or to play at a higher level so he put in a transfer request....nobody came in for him, a better deal was not put forward, the transfer window closes and he is still here.

Really dont understand what discussions are needed, either he signs it or he doesnt, so then continues to deputise for Gerken....why will he not sign?

You have no idea at all.

strangely enough im going on the basis of the information that i have been able to gather for myself and havent got the sources that you obviously have.

obviously i didnt see your deleted post. if you know the 100% truth then good for you. can i just ask one thing, are you saying that GJ was lying when he said AB turned down a very lucriative contract offer?????

strangely enough im going on the basis of the information that i have been able to gather for myself and havent got the sources that you obviously have.

obviously i didnt see your deleted post. if you know the 100% truth then good for you. can i just ask one thing, are you saying that GJ was lying when he said AB turned down a very lucriative contract offer?????

If it was 100% the truth Basso would have been dismissed for Gross Misconduct.

Why would the club have to go 'softly' in negotiations with him?...Why would it have 'set him back a month or two' when it was stated in the press that he had 'climbed down'?........its clear that Basso obviously feels strongly about something the club has done (and the something is something nobody is willing to put in writing on here or in the press), strong enough to feel he was left with no other option but to turn down a allegedly lucrative new contract....?????!!!!

If it was simply a case of thanks for the new contract offer but no thanks, I'm bigger and better than this club, (hence the villian) there is no way the club would still be talking to him about signing a new contract and they certainly wouldn't be adopting such a careful thoughout 'softly-softly' approach so as not to 'set him back' again.

From what i have heard today, you have just hit the nail on the head. Could be a load of BS but as time goes on it looks more and more likely that there is a very specific reason why AB turned that contract down and its not because of cash/ambition. Can only spin the truth for so long.

From what i have heard today, you have just hit the nail on the head. Could be a load of BS but as time goes on it looks more and more likely that there is a very specific reason why AB turned that contract down and its not because of cash/ambition. Can only spin the truth for so long.

Gazred, all I will say is that I spoke with the guy face to face and he told me catagorically why he did not sign a new contract. In my opinion (and obviously Basso's) his position was most definately compromised. Importantly, not once during my conversation with him did I get the impression he was spinning me a yarn and I am the most sceptical person alive.

Gazred, all I will say is that I spoke with the guy face to face and he told me catagorically why he did not sign a new contract. In my opinion (and obviously Basso's) his position was most definately compromised. Importantly, not once during my conversation with him did I get the impression he was spinning me a yarn and I am the most sceptical person alive.

I doubt that! :innocent06:

If it was 100% the truth Basso would have been dismissed for Gross Misconduct.

I saw the famous post before it was deleted and can back you up. It would have simply led to his contract being torn up but once again the big R has to come out with some bull and then used that bull that back up arguments in other posts.

Archived