IGNORED

Supporters

Southport Red

I find it irritating that there are some posters on here who only ever post negatively. Before everyone leaps to the "It's a forum", "a right to express one's views" etc. reflex, there are some (and we all know who you are) who only EVER post to complain. When we win you do not appear on here, when we lose, we cannot move for you. You call everyone who tries to back the side a "Happy Clapper" as though to actually SUPPORT the team is to live in a deluded fantasy world. So for you, for all of you, I post the definition below, in the hope that it will help you come to the realisation that, although BCFC is the team you are most interested in, you are NOT a supporter (for the very simple reason that Supporters SUPPORT)

SUPPORTER

–noun 1. a person or thing that supports. 2. an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate.

As far as I can tell, none of the above would include carping, whining, bitching and would exclude around 90% of the threads about Luke Johnson

I am NOT having a go at people who are balanced and who wish to make an isolated complaint about X not showing any effort or Y not having the skills (although they too fall outside the definition) this is more aimed at those who ONLY post complaints or negatives and there are a depressingly high number of them.

saturday was the first home game i have missed this season due to a wedding (i did try and get out of it!) and didnt look on the forum until yesterday.

i was being updated on the game by friends who were there, after hearing about the line up and the game itself i was fairly sure i could guess the reaction on here and i was pretty much bang on! 3 anti lee johnson threads and numerous negative posts about the game. comes hand in hand with being a supporter, some people will always look to the negative, i tend to take this forum (or certain posters) with a pinch of salt to be fair

Whilst I admire your attempt to try and apply some balance to this forum I don't think you will achieve the utopia you seek. I went on Saturday and was treated by a friend to some platinum lounge action and as such the whole experience was something I was looking forward to with little expectation put on what the team line up would be, how big the crowd, how many S****horpe would bring etc. For me it was about the day and so when I sat down to the actual display from the city I was looking at it in a completely different way to how it was when I had a ST last year and as such I really enjoyed it! I suppose what I'm trying to say is that once you think about exactly what are you coming for, what do you expect and what would make it a good return on your investment versus the reality of who we are, where we've come from, how long this team has been together then perhaps its not such a demand to see breathtaking football with goals aplenty.

Its all completely subjective but I understand if a lifelong fan who spends a decent amount of his income on the ST or pay on the day is feeling let down and wants to voice it on here as much as I understand how the constant moaning winds people up the wrong way - its a forum, bring it on!

Guest ashtonyate

I am one of the posters who is classed a moaning old so and so , but to me someone who is pointing out things that are happen is not moaning.

To class that as moaning is incorrect, moaning to some is to facing up to the situation that is there for all to see.

On the other side of the coin is the red tinted lot who come on here trying to put a gloss over bad performances.

They will use any argument they can to try and deflected criticism of the Manager and Club, its the ref the linesman bad luck fluke injuries instead of admitting the reason for poor team results.

I am one of the posters who is classed a moaning old so and so , but to me someone who is pointing out things that are happen is not moaning.

To class that as moaning is incorrect, moaning to some is to facing up to the situation that is there for all to see.

On the other side of the coin is the red tinted lot who come on here trying to put a gloss over bad performances.

They will use any argument they can to try and deflected criticism of the Manager and Club, its the ref the linesman bad luck fluke injuries instead of admitting the reason for poor team results.

Poor results?? When were them then?

I think that the problem with this site (and a lot of the posters) is that it has taken on the George Bush mentality "you are either with us or against us".

It is not possible to venture an opinion as you are seen as being "against" GJ and the club, whereas many are expressing an opinion which can be seen as negative whilst in actual fact merely pointing out something that they see as wrong.

It is possible to criticise the club, GJ, players whilst still being "for" and "behind" the club.

I don't think it is negative to state what you can see is wrong with the team, style of play etc, we live in a democracy and free speach is a right to all.

The club has come a long way over the last few years and that was down to taking a pragmatic approach to fixing all that was wrong with the club (both on and off the pitch) to get us out of league 1. Let's hope that the same approach is taken to getting City up into the Premier League. Which means continued progression on and off the pitch and the right to fans to vent and express thier opinions.

One mans trash is another mans treasure...

Irish Red

For me, the amount of critizism that GJ gets is the problem. When we dont win - this site goes into meltdown.

For a guy, that has done brilliantly, with only 1 average season and no poor seasons at all - he gets an unbelievable amount of critizism.

Seems to me that being a football fan is a bit like being married, where your wife is the football club.

It seems that some fans on here seem to think that spending the week mouthing off about the club's (their wife's) faults and weaknesses through the week is the only way to avoid getting *****d at the week-end.

In a marriage it works the other way around. If you want any chance of getting *****d at the week-end you make absolutely no mention of your wife's faults and weaknesses throughout the week!

I agree, I think that part of the problem is that this board has been going since 1997 and in that time this has been the only real period where we have had any success and any chance to push on (Albeit our brief spell in 1998-99 under John Ward and Benny).

If you look at the managers we have had in the time that this board has been in operation GJ is the only one who has the potential to realise the dream of going up. I think that some of the criticism of GJ is over the top and I do believe that some of venom directed at LJ is out of order but having seen (admittedly last season) some of his performances some of it is warranted (personal attacks aside). He will always be a target as he is the managers son (this is the same in all walks of life not just football).

It just hacks me off when you read the board and see some posters make comments on the style of play, tactics, players and the usual few come down on them and state that they are being "negative" or "not real city fans".

GJ is by far and away the best manager we have had in the last 12 years and has the potential to deliver and build on something. Look at the managers over the last 12 years, John Ward, Benny Lennartsson, Tony Pulis (the dark days), Tony Fawthorp, Danny Wilson (Great football with the 3-5-2 formation), Brian Tinnion...

Nobody is immune from criticism though.

Irish Red

This is an old chestnut.

There are many ways to 'support' your football club. We all part with our dosh to watch City which is obviouly financial support for the club. Others not only offer financial suport but give up their own time freely for the club and fans. Most of us also get behind the players during games.

But...as a paying member of the public I and eveyone else is allowed to express their discontent or disapointment with the fayre on offer. If you were at the cinema and the film was rubbish then you can walk out. In a restuarant you'd send poor food back or demand a refund. Same with faulty goods.

Its the right of all paying supporters to complain, winge and moan if they feel they have something to complani,winge and moan about.

Yh but if you go to Asda for a £2 dinner expecting something more, you`ve only got yourself to blame for raising your expectations. In other words there are some who seem to think we have a side that should be winning every match and can`t understand it when we don`t. There are a lot of posters who make valid points but are generally ignored because their views arn`t `extreme` enough.

Basically this forum is getting like TalkSport. The more extreme the opinion expressed the more coverage it gets regardless of how full of sh**e the opinion may be.

PDG

Archived