IGNORED

Lack Of Width

garlicbread

The fact we created hardly any chances on saturday shows that at the moment, the formation isnt working....easy to blame it on illness, but we had a strong team out on sat.

It reminds me of last (esp. before xmas) season where the lack of width makes it easy for teams who just want to sit back and get a point. They will pack the middle of the park making it almost impossible to play through...plus I'm not sure we can really rely on orr and Mcallisters distribution.

So (From a full squad), my theory is this...

.....................Gerkin...........................

Orr...........Carey......Fonts........McCallister

Haynes.....Hartley (Sno).....Elliot....Blackman

............Clarkson (Saborio)....Maynard.......

...at least it's got pace down the flanks, which importantly gives the CMs more time to get the ball down and play people in, and hopefully et better and more crosses in.

Plus it has an element of good defence about it also.

I've picked Blackman based on the fact the Johnson has stated he is about ready, is very strong in training and has more pace than sproule!!

Thoughts???

I like it, but actually I'd say there is a problem with central midfield - there's no room for Sno, Hartley and Elliot in there. Maybe Sno could play left wing and have Blackman as a sub?

There's also no room for Nyatanga who should surely be looking to start most games.

It's a great demonstration of City's squad depth this season that they can utilise so many different formations but 4-4-2 doesn't look like being the one that makes best use of all the players.

I don't like 4-3-3 and never have but I think when everybody is available we'll see a return to the 3-4-1-2 and hopefully more creativity as things settle down.

I like it, but actually I'd say there is a problem with central midfield - there's no room for Sno, Hartley and Elliot in there. Maybe Sno could play left wing and have Blackman as a sub?

There's also no room for Nyatanga who should surely be looking to start most games.

It's a great demonstration of City's squad depth this season that they can utilise so many different formations but 4-4-2 doesn't look like being the one that makes best use of all the players.

I don't like 4-3-3 and never have but I think when everybody is available we'll see a return to the 3-4-1-2 and hopefully more creativity as things settle down.

You cannot pick a side to fit in players at our level in my view. Just pick a BALANCED side and if someone has to miss out then so be it.

You cannot pick a side to fit in players at our level in my view. Just pick a BALANCED side and if someone has to miss out then so be it.

Well I have always been of the opinion that players should be picked to fit the system and not the other way around, and that holds true at every level of football.

However, I see no reason not to pick the most appropriate system for the players in the squad and I still believe that will be 3-4-1-2 and once everybody is fit and available we will see it and see it working.

3-5-2/5-3-2 should be a solid formation.

An extra man in midfield/defense depending on posession. The problem is we arent using it effectively or dont have the right players for it.

Going back to 4-4-2 might be problematic as Haynes doesnt want to play on the wing and Blackman is a defender and it means leaving out a quality CM and CB.

Well I have always been of the opinion that players should be picked to fit the system and not the other way around, and that holds true at every level of football.

However, I see no reason not to pick the most appropriate system for the players in the squad and I still believe that will be 3-4-1-2 and once everybody is fit and available we will see it and see it working.

Nothing wrong with your system. However on Saturday we played pretty much a 4-4-2 with Lee Johnson and Sno, sometimes Elliott playing out wide. Surely we could have utilised Sproule or Blackman and had a far more balanced look about us and some much needed WIDTH!!!

Nothing wrong with your system. However on Saturday we played pretty much a 4-4-2 with Lee Johnson and Sno, sometimes Elliott playing out wide. Surely we could have utilised Sproule or Blackman and had a far more balanced look about us and some much needed WIDTH!!!

No argument on that front from me.

Last season I would have argued that we didn't have the central midfield players to boss the game with just two of them in there but with Elliot and Hartley we really should have a strong enough platform to play with two attacking wingers.

No argument on that front from me.

Last season I would have argued that we didn't have the central midfield players to boss the game with just two of them in there but with Elliot and Hartley we really should have a strong enough platform to play with two attacking wingers.

Agree, but GJ has got the midfield balance completly wrong, from having a reasonably poor central midfield we have gone to becoming over-run with central midfielders. Sno,Skuse Hartley,Elliot,Wiliams, and LJ we simply have to MANY central midfield players. The Sno signing was good one im not doubting that, but i would have much prefered we had got in a winger of his calibre, with the central midfielders we have there was really no need to get in Sno unless we got rid of one of the other Central midfielders. I mean whats up with Gavin Williams? You either play him or let the guy go, he loooks to be going the same way as Noble.

It wouldnt be a problem IF we had 2 or 3 wingers but we simply havnt, Sproule oridinarly would be a good back up winger, but to have him as are only winger is pathetic.

People keep mentioning Blackman and Ribeiro but lets be honest there not first team ready YET, both are young and in experienced and it would be out of order IMO to expect them to just slot in and play well staright away.

This problem should have been solved months ago, im baffled that we let Mcindoe go and didnt replace him. What team has only first team wide man that cant even cross a bloody ball? Its madness!

3-5-2/5-3-2 should be a solid formation.

An extra man in midfield/defense depending on posession. The problem is we arent using it effectively or dont have the right players for it.

Going back to 4-4-2 might be problematic as Haynes doesnt want to play on the wing and Blackman is a defender and it means leaving out a quality CM and CB.

Haynes will play where he is told.

Secondly, Johnson was saying that we aint replacing McIndoe becase we have players like Haynes AND Blackman who can play there.

I like the theory.

The problem with wing backs is they need super pace and super fitness ! great fullbacks as orr and mcallister are , Im not convinced they have the attacking instincts of the wing back.Couldnt imagine macca nodding in ashley coles goal on sunday! Where as blackman.....You never know!!!!

In the mean time i think we must be playing to deep with orr and macca pushed up the field we should be defending more from the front.

Now lets see a 532 with ribs and blackman at some point (shame about the carling cup!)

I think this team is yet to gel. I'm excited with whats to come. Were doing fine, a bit of patience from the fathful is required.

onward and sideways

Its 4-4-2 for me then it really shows how strong are squad is especially in the midfield...Blackman would have my vote for left spot..(he can cross)and haynes down the right would like having a new scotty murray,haynes can beat three players with ease.In midfield i would have sno and hartley,because of the range of passing you would have from them to and they would provide strengh there to.

basso

orr carey(if fit) fontaine mcallister

haynes sno hartley blackman

serbario maynard

----------------Gerken---------------------------

---------Carey Fonts Nyatanga --------------

Orr--------------------------------- McCallister

-------- Sno Hartley Elliot ----------------

--------------------------------------------------

-----------Maynard Saborio --------------------

best players in a formation that suits them all, plus we have cover in every position

Stick with this for 5 games once all fit, if it isnt working then, then maybe we will have to give up on the 3-5-2

Secondly, Johnson was saying that we aint replacing McIndoe becase we have players like Haynes AND Blackman who can play there.

Pretty sure Johnson said the opposite about Haynes. Said he was signed to play upfront, and sometimes out on the right. Definetly not to play left wing

Pretty sure Johnson said the opposite about Haynes. Said he was signed to play upfront, and sometimes out on the right. Definetly not to play left wing

----------------Gerken---------------------------

---------Carey Fonts Nyatanga --------------

Orr--------------------------------- McCallister

-------- Sno Hartley Elliot ----------------

--------------------------------------------------

-----------Maynard Saborio --------------------

best players in a formation that suits them all, plus we have cover in every position

Stick with this for 5 games once all fit, if it isnt working then, then maybe we will have to give up on the 3-5-2

That's the problem Jeffrey, too congested....much lik saturday

Two out and out wide men would stretch things giving more space and time to the CMs to create more

I couldve sworn he mentioned haynes could be right wing if needed...apologies if i really did get that wrong

I think it was more along the lines of ''Haynes could be used on the wing IF needed, but preferably will be used as a striker.'' I havnt seen enough of Haynes crossing ability so i will reserve judgment before i slate him, but he does come across as more of a striker.

Whatever way you look at it we need another winger, i was really hoping it would be quincy owusu abeyie but clearly not.

Agree, but GJ has got the midfield balance completly wrong, from having a reasonably poor central midfield we have gone to becoming over-run with central midfielders. Sno,Skuse Hartley,Elliot,Wiliams, and LJ we simply have to MANY central midfield players. The Sno signing was good one im not doubting that, but i would have much prefered we had got in a winger of his calibre, with the central midfielders we have there was really no need to get in Sno unless we got rid of one of the other Central midfielders. I mean whats up with Gavin Williams? You either play him or let the guy go, he loooks to be going the same way as Noble.

It wouldnt be a problem IF we had 2 or 3 wingers but we simply havnt, Sproule oridinarly would be a good back up winger, but to have him as are only winger is pathetic.

People keep mentioning Blackman and Ribeiro but lets be honest there not first team ready YET, both are young and in experienced and it would be out of order IMO to expect them to just slot in and play well staright away.

This problem should have been solved months ago, im baffled that we let Mcindoe go and didnt replace him. What team has only first team wide man that cant even cross a bloody ball? Its madness!

Its a good post bris red, and pretty much what I have said on other posts. Great bringing players of that standard, but its quality wide men that we need now asap.......and there is no way you can play Sno, Hartley, Elliot, LJ(or Skuse or Williams, delete as applicable) in the same team, it actually stiffles your attacking impetus.

Why were you hoping it would be that particular player?

He is a proven quality winger at this level, he also has the ability to beat his man (like Sproule) but crucially can deliver a deadly cross more often than not (unlike Sproule), did very well For Birmingham and played a part in them winning promotion also.. GJ was quoted as saying ''he was not up to our level of fitness'' and Evander Sno was Gary? Hmmm..

Theres no ifs or buts we should have kept Mcinode plus recruited another winger in the Summer. I might just be old fashioned but for me wing play is a HUGE part of having a good attacking side, ive got no time for all this pretty fotball through the middle, get the ball out wide and hurt teams that way!

I like the theory.

The problem with wing backs is they need super pace and super fitness ! great fullbacks as orr and mcallister are , Im not convinced they have the attacking instincts of the wing back.Couldnt imagine macca nodding in ashley coles goal on sunday! Where as blackman.....You never know!!!!

In the mean time i think we must be playing to deep with orr and macca pushed up the field we should be defending more from the front.

Now lets see a 532 with ribs and blackman at some point (shame about the carling cup!)

I think this team is yet to gel. I'm excited with whats to come. Were doing fine, a bit of patience from the fathful is required.

onward and sideways

Wingbacks do need good pace however it isn't essential.... if they could cross! I'd love to see Ribs get a chance just a sub appearance and also with blackman just to see what happened. If we were losing badly surely wouldn't do any harm to play one of them?

The discussion about wings is pointless unless you go with the theory of that we'll be in 4-4-2 this season or before Jan. Which I wouldn't see the point unless Blackman is any good and someone could play makeshift right midfield. I suppose if Sno can cross be good to have him on left or right as a right sided midfielder but not a winger as such. But at the moment it doesn't have the fitness for it.

GJ has heavily invested with the central midfield area this summer it seems 3-5-2 was his prime objective with being able to play more of them? Even if Sno was just a good opportunity he still didn't have to sign him if he didn't think we needed him I doubt his wages are cheap.

The fact we created hardly any chances on saturday shows that at the moment, the formation isnt working....easy to blame it on illness, but we had a strong team out on sat.

It reminds me of last (esp. before xmas) season where the lack of width makes it easy for teams who just want to sit back and get a point. They will pack the middle of the park making it almost impossible to play through...plus I'm not sure we can really rely on orr and Mcallisters distribution.

So (From a full squad), my theory is this...

.....................Gerkin...........................

Orr...........Carey......Fonts........McCallister

Haynes.....Hartley (Sno).....Elliot....Blackman

............Clarkson (Saborio)....Maynard.......

...at least it's got pace down the flanks, which importantly gives the CMs more time to get the ball down and play people in, and hopefully et better and more crosses in.

Plus it has an element of good defence about it also.

I've picked Blackman based on the fact the Johnson has stated he is about ready, is very strong in training and has more pace than sproule!!

Thoughts???

Do we know if Blackman can cross a ball, its ok having all this pace ( Sproule) but when was the last time we put a DECENT cross in?

Do we know if Blackman can cross a ball, its ok having all this pace ( Sproule) but when was the last time we put a DECENT cross in?

Yes he can..

Not only cross but take on oppo FB and get a shot in ...twice at Brentford he did this...one of them he danced thru 3 players before getting a good shot which kepper had to parry away at near post

Agree with you totally on the ball in from wide question ....the quality is just not good enough to cause problems.........

It would also be nice to see one of our FB's getting on the end of a cross once in a while ala Cashley cole on Sunday for Chelski against the yids - or any other decent FB/WB you may care to mention when you think about it

I strongly think this is the area that restricts our width & play and the sooner we bed in Ribs & Blackman the better IMO - pace & ability to cross as well as beat the man in front of them

• Admin

Blackman was still suffering from "the virus"....

Archived