IGNORED

My Views On Today's Performance...

DaveF

Basso - 5 - Awful kicking and a bit flappy.

Orr - 7 - Solid and but in some good crosses.

Macca - 6 - Solid but didn't offer too much going forward.

McCombe - 3 - Start off pretty well won so many headers but his sending off was just inexplicable, he cost us a point today with 2 terrible tackles. Also a pathetic dive when Hulse pushed him.

Fontaine - 6 - Didn't really notice him much to be honest but didn't seem to much wrong.

Sno - 8 - Best player on the pitch by a mile, rarely loses the ball and was the only player to really have a go at Derby, looked a different class to most out there today.

Johnson - 6 - Not bad but pretty ineffective.

Hartley - 6 - A few glimpses of class, hilarious when he skinned Savage but gave the ball away a few too many times.

Elliot - 6 - Won a few tackles but again gave the ball away a lot.

Maynard - 6 - Didn't really get much out of Leacock.

Saborio - 6- Involved a lot but missed a couple of decent chances.

Subs:

Sproule - ? - Didn't touch it?

Nyatanga - 6 - Solid enough.

Haynes - 6 - Looked threatening but didn't create anything.

Fans - Good away support, entertaining banter with the Derby fans who were much better than last season.

Derby... Awful team, but deserved their win, missed so many chances it was at times comical.

Just got back from Derby too

Worst second half performance for a long time we could have quite easily lost that game 6-0 against a poor side low on confidence having have lost the last 4 games before playing City. If we play like that at St James Park next week we could lose by double figures

Basso made 2 appalling clearances which I would have expected us to have conceded 2 goals against a conference level team. He made a poor attempt at saving Teale's goal bad positioning too Henderson must start on Tuesday if Gerkin not fit.

McCombe has always been too slow for this division - he also appears to be too stupid now - ridiculous petulance for first booking which could have been a red card, then 3 minutes later he blatantly barges a Derby player off the ball - the referee could do nothing else but send him off.

Elliott continues to give mediocre performances which are a shadow of first season with us - if other teams want to waste £2million on him we should bite their hands off.

Sno and Hartley look good in midfield but received little support from Elliott and even less from Johnson who contributed nothing (how does he get picked ahead of Williams, Clarkson, Skuse) and we should be loaning Johnson out before the likes of Plummer and Artus.

We have a big squad with plenty of competition for places - Elliott and Johnson need to be dropped (and in Johnson's case not return until Williams and Clarkson have both been given a run in the team).

Extremely Frustrated Timsbury

Basso - 5 - Awful kicking and a bit flappy.

Orr - 7 - Solid and but in some good crosses?????. - His awful first touch gave the ball away and they scored from it, tackled well, still can't pass!!!

Macca - 6 - Solid but didn't offer too much going forward.

McCombe - 3 - Start off pretty well won so many headers but his sending off was just inexplicable, he cost us a point today with 2 terrible tackles. Also a pathetic dive when Hulse pushed him.

Fontaine - 6 - Didn't really notice him much to be honest but didn't seem to much wrong.

Sno - 8 - Best player on the pitch by a mile, rarely loses the ball and was the only player to really have a go at Derby, looked a different class to most out there today.

Johnson - 6 - Not bad but pretty ineffective.

Hartley - 6 - A few glimpses of class, hilarious when he skinned Savage but gave the ball away a few too many times.

Elliot - 6 - Won a few tackles but again gave the ball away a lot.

Maynard - 6 - Didn't really get much out of Leacock.

Saborio - 6- Involved a lot but missed a couple of decent chances.

Subs:

Sproule - ? - Didn't touch it?

Nyatanga - 6 - Solid enough.

Haynes - 6 - Looked threatening but didn't create anything.

Fans - Good away support, entertaining banter with the Derby fans who were much better than last season.

Derby... Awful team, but deserved their win, missed so many chances it was at times comical.

Just got back from Derby too

Worst second half performance for a long time we could have quite easily lost that game 6-0 against a poor side low on confidence having have lost the last 4 games before playing City. If we play like that at St James Park next week we could lose by double figures

Basso made 2 appalling clearances which I would have expected us to have conceded 2 goals against a conference level team. He made a poor attempt at saving Teale's goal bad positioning too Henderson must start on Tuesday if Gerkin not fit.

McCombe has always been too slow for this division - he also appears to be too stupid now - ridiculous petulance for first booking which could have been a red card, then 3 minutes later he blatantly barges a Derby player off the ball - the referee could do nothing else but send him off.

Elliott continues to give mediocre performances which are a shadow of first season with us - if other teams want to waste £2million on him we should bite their hands off.

Sno and Hartley look good in midfield but received little support from Elliott and even less from Johnson who contributed nothing (how does he get picked ahead of Williams, Clarkson, Skuse) and we should be loaning Johnson out before the likes of Plummer and Artus.

We have a big squad with plenty of competition for places - Elliott and Johnson need to be dropped (and in Johnson's case not return until Williams and Clarkson have both been given a run in the team).

Extremely Frustrated Timsbury

One easy way to get more out of him is more him inside rather than wide left, he'll never influence a game from out there

Mcbcfc I did take note of that but to be fair he gave the ball away deep into their half attempting a reasonably difficult bit of control, it was a mistake but letting Teale have that much space to get a shot away is more criminal that Bradley's attempt to go forward in my opinion.

Nah LJ Wasn't that bad. But he always seems to be average, and costs us way too much. The team seems to be shifted to include him, and we have far better players. But absolutely he was not the worst player.

Prior to the goal i was finding their misses hilarious, me and my mate were saying how it was looking like another leicester 0-0, which we would've happily taken considering. And then bam they score from a half chance where Bass could've done better. That stopped my laughing. How they didn't convert all those easy ones is beyond me. They won't get chances that easy again for a while i wouldn't have thought.

Mcbcfc I did take note of that but to be fair he gave the ball away deep into their half attempting a reasonably difficult bit of control, it was a mistake but letting Teale have that much space to get a shot away is more criminal that Bradley's attempt to go forward in my opinion.

It was far worse watching the replay inside the ground, as Teale ran over sixty yards with the ball before shooting.

Mind you, Basso will be disappointed with his attempt to save the 18-yarder.

It was far worse watching the replay inside the ground, as Teale ran over sixty yards with the ball before shooting.

Mind you, Basso will be disappointed with his attempt to save the 18-yarder.

Unless I'm mistaken I believe you were the guy who came on the radio after the game and said something along the lines that milk turns quicker than McCombe.

Made me smile. Not much else did about today's performance!

With 5 mintes to go when down to ten men? No as a defender your first job to stop the play (especially when down to 10) not come charging down the pitch needlessly give the ball away, turn round and hope someone has filled the huge gapping hole you've just left. And the only reason Teale had that much space was because Brad had gone walkabout.

It's true about Orr. Terrible first touch and he then hung around up front before jogging back, Hartley's effort to get back was there but he obviously was in an alien position. I expected to see Orr sprinting back. I know it was late on but it was his position, he made the room for teale and he should've been commited to getting back.

Guest bigcheese
It's true about Orr. Terrible first touch and he then hung around up front before jogging back, Hartley's effort to get back was there but he obviously was in an alien position. I expected to see Orr sprinting back. I know it was late on but it was his position, he made the room for teale and he should've been commited to getting back.

Sounded like that on the radio (I posted before but deleted as I mis-read the original post)..

This is another reason why I personally like the 3-5-2, Bradley can get forward (which is what he obviously wants to do) but with less potential bad consequences! :winner_third_h4h:

Personally, I thought that LJ added nothing to the team. Him and Hartley doing roughly the same role, and his presence pushed far better players out of position.

What is really annoying me is that we have a reasonable collection of players, but no shape or balance. I have no idea why the wing-back option is not being used (I have an idea why!), as we have a glut of central midfielders, but no wide players, and that seems the best option with what we have. How we can play 4-4-2 (Or 4-3-3 if you are GJ!) with no width defies logic. For all Derbys faults, they got the ball wide regularly, and Croft & Teale did stretch us, even if it looked like Sproule was the crossing coach (And Bas coaching the strikers!). All in all, baffling team selection and a truly shocking second half. And definitely one of Bassos worst ever displays.

On the positive side, the beer in the Brunswick was absolutely top notch, that really is a cracking real ale pub. Pity the Porter ran out before I could try it, but the other dark beer was absolutely first class.

Been back in sometime, had chinese and time to savour the performances so hear goes....

Basso - Worst game I have seen Basso ever have. Had no confidence from outset. Nearly spilt two tame shots in first half. Apalling does no even describe his kicking and communication today. Is this the reason no prem or other championship team wants him???

Orr - Looked solid, gave a few balls away but this appears to be more that he can only pass backward, or inside to Hartley. No other options

Mcallister - Again has no options to pass other than speculative long ball or inside to Hartley. (which is often blocked off due to Elliott and Johnson being in the mix plus the opponents midfiled.

McCombe - Poor in the floor, poor in the air today as gets no clearance on headers (always on way down when heading (good spot from Dad)) Proven again that not upto this league and how can he possibly be captain? Also how can a 6ft6 centre half get shrugged off the ball so easy all the time.

Fonts - Did OK often having to clear up mess from McCombes lack of positioning.

Hartley - Good game but died to the end. Makes Johnson look like a conferance player. Does everything Johnson does but better and can tackle and track back.

Johnson - How he is back in this team amazes me. At least he was taken off today which I didnt think was going to happen. (Fair Play GJ right call) Offers nothing to the team in defence and is just clogging up the midfield.

Elliott - Does not look fit or interested IMO. By second half was blowing big time today and lacked any real bite that made him so famous. Milwall warned this would happen. Great one season then off the boil.

Sno - This guy is immense. Disappeared in second half as we did not give him the ball. You can tell class players by the way they can find space without even moving! Assured on the ball, dragging defenders and midfielders in all direction. Should build the team around him.

Maynard - Quiet day today a few clever runs, when Sno not on ball no one else looks capable of playing that decisive pass to lay him in as he is one step ahead in his thinking.

Saborio - Can reallly see this guy playing in Prem. Old Fashioned centre forward in the Alan Sheaer mold. Lets hope he can find his goal scoring boots and bang goals away like Shearer did. Million miles better than Adebola.

Subs

None did anything other than run about a bit. Although Haynes did offer an outlet down right for the inevitable hopeful long ball

Personally, I thought that LJ added nothing to the team. Him and Hartley doing roughly the same role, and his presence pushed far better players out of position.

What is really annoying me is that we have a reasonable collection of players, but no shape or balance. I have no idea why the wing-back option is not being used (I have an idea why!), as we have a glut of central midfielders, but no wide players, and that seems the best option with what we have. How we can play 4-4-2 (Or 4-3-3 if you are GJ!) with no width defies logic. For all Derbys faults, they got the ball wide regularly, and Croft & Teale did stretch us, even if it looked like Sproule was the crossing coach (And Bas coaching the strikers!). All in all, baffling team selection and a truly shocking second half. And definitely one of Bassos worst ever displays.

On the positive side, the beer in the Brunswick was absolutely top notch, that really is a cracking real ale pub. Pity the Porter ran out before I could try it, but the other dark beer was absolutely first class.

We all know what your idea is Chappers. Lets cut the crap and admit that GJ's achilles heel is the continued selection of his boy when there is absolutely no reason for him to be in the team. A selection which causes the team to be unbalanced and is absolutely pointless when we have better options in Sno and Hartley to do the job. The lad can "do a job" at this level but has no genuine quality in his game whatsoever and the sooner he finds another club the better for all parties in my view - it actually wouldn't hurt Lee Johnson himself to forge a nice little career for himself away from the old man. And it might also do Bristol City Football Club a favour.

And anyone who thinks that certain squad players aren't having the same conversation amongst themselves is naive in the extreme.

Archived