IGNORED

Steve L Yesterday - What Was Said?

red badger

Few things I can recall. Disjointed thoughts here.

Our planning decision is due on the 4th (believe November). Tesco on the 5th. Bristol City Council's deadline to submit their World Cup bid is the 6th.

Obviously a crucial week.

The funding from Tesco is critical to the development. If there is a plan B, Steve will keep it as his until the time needed. Did say he'll not have a bad word said about either the council or the Evening Post at the moment.

Asked about Bristol Rovers backing the Bristol bid and their board haven't made any approaches to ours to offer assistance / support in any way. Not really needed but still...

Touched on stuff he's done before about possible ground shares with both Bristol Rovers & Rugby. Neither came across as a) professional enough or b) grateful.

Dunford leaked news about a possible ground-sharing the day after they'd spoken on the phone & SL asked him to propose it, to be considered. Rugby came along and instantly were saying "Oh, we'd need this changed and that changed etc" so they were dispatched.

SL had previously been interested in buying the club before Malcolm Pearce got involved.

Appreciates bubble trips are "beyond a joke" now and is actively looking to get rid of them. He said that before the Swansea game he had to go into the dressing room and inform the players (name-checked Hartley especially) that there were only 200 there and it wasn't due to the players; it was the bubble boycott. Often informs the players of the away following before the game as they react to it; large followings obviously help fire them up.

Players/finance.

Season-long loans are a risk, as we've shown by having a £300k drain for 5 minutes of action. It was implied that Sno could be made a permanent deal come the end of the season if all went well and we were able to fund it but there's no pre-arranged fee as with Saborio.

I'm wary of how I phrase this but he also said that we will need to make profit on player transfers at some point - i.e. we can bring in young players on the cheap and then sell them on for a profit at a later date. It's common sense and a sound business model but it wasn't meant as a "we'll just churn them out for the Prem". Obviously if we stay in the CCC and Maynard is offered Prem football next summer plus £5m? We'd have to take it. We lose too much money on transfers as it is.

Lots of the blindingly obvious or completely misguided questions fired at him but I'm sure a more comprehensive report'll come up - things like moving away fans into the other corner of the EE, why does the EE need to have such a wide net whilst Prem teams can have a row and some police instead.

Thanks for the info tommy.

Players/finance.

Season-long loans are a risk, as we've shown by having a £300k drain for 5 minutes of action. It was implied that Sno could be made a permanent deal come the end of the season if all went well and we were able to fund it but there's no pre-arranged fee as with Saborio.

I'm wary of how I phrase this but he also said that we will need to make profit on player transfers at some point - i.e. we can bring in young players on the cheap and then sell them on for a profit at a later date. It's common sense and a sound business model but it wasn't meant as a "we'll just churn them out for the Prem". Obviously if we stay in the CCC and Maynard is offered Prem football next summer plus £5m? We'd have to take it. We lose too much money on transfers as it is.

On this in particular I'm actually really pleased to hear it. Up until this summer the signings we had made worried me financially, players like Adebola, John, Trundle were all too old and very expensive and I was one of a tiny minority that wasn't particularly keen on signing Trundle in the first place for that reason.

Maynard is a far better investment than all of them because due to his age he will retain his value. Haynes, Blackman, and Nyatanga are exactly the sort of players I wanted to see us bring in - young and talented and on the way up. Though I'd hope with Maynard we were looking at more like £8m of course :)

Selling players is a reality even Man U face, and now even they have a policy of no signings over the age of26 because it makes financial sense - it means when a player moves on more often than not you have some cash to help replace them.

You do need the odd older head like Hartley but that should be the exception.

Thanks for the info tommy.

Maynard is a far better investment than all of them because due to his age he will retain his value. Haynes, Blackman, and Nyatanga are exactly the sort of players I wanted to see us bring in - young and talented and on the way up. Though I'd hope with Maynard we were looking at more like £8m of course :)

Selling players is a reality even Man U face, and now even they have a policy of no signings over the age of26 because it makes financial sense - it means when a player moves on more often than not you have some cash to help replace them.

Should also have an opportunity to sell on some of the academy players. The current are obviousy not good enough to play for city but may well help finance more suitable signings.

Got stuck in traffic and missed the Chair's Q&A

Grateful to anyone who was there if they could share what Steve had to say...

I would say 50 or so people crammed in very small room!

One interesting comment to my question of "Do you read the City fans websites/forums"

Answered (appoligies not exactly word perfect, but the gist being)

" I do & used to find them very interesting with some valid comments, but now I frankly get bored, & tend to switch off,due to people being lambasted & critisised which then deviates from the original point" !

I think it is fair to say we all have a great chance to get valid & some in-valid points to the "right" people in this club, who do read properly debated items, but this can be easily deflected by people drifting from the point.

Was the subject of the new parking restrictions around Ashton Gate brought up ?

No it wasn't.

But the first question that was brought up has not been mentioned. Can't remember exact wording but it was along the line of who owns the ground? I think (and i reiterate think) that the point trying to be made was that it could be possible in the future we have to pay rent to our chairman (or former chairman if it all ends in tears!!) as one of his holdings owns it rather than the football club. If anyone with more knowledge on this subject would like to go a bit deeper with an answer please do as I felt the person asking the question did not get a fair crack of the whip - again only my opinion.

Another one was the cost for our supporters to go to Cardiff compared to the gas for the same journey. Apparently they were somewhat cheaper. The question was asked do we make a profit out of travel. SL answer if we do it will only be a very small one but he wasn't sure.

I have to tip my hat off to a chairman who walks into a room announces that he dosen't pick the team (with a smile on his face) and is then prepared to take any question on offer. Im not sure how many other chairman would do that.

Guest churchill gaffer

Our planning decision is due on the 4th (believe November). Tesco on the 5th. Bristol City Council's deadline to submit their World Cup bid is the 6th.

The funding from Tesco is critical to the development. If there is a plan B, Steve will keep it as his until the time needed. Did say he'll not have a bad word said about either the council or the Evening Post at the moment.

Asked about Bristol Rovers backing the Bristol bid and their board haven't made any approaches to ours to offer assistance / support in any way. Not really needed but still...

Touched on stuff he's done before about possible ground shares with both Bristol Rovers & Rugby. Neither came across as a) professional enough or b) grateful.

Dunford leaked news about a possible ground-sharing the day after they'd spoken on the phone & SL asked him to propose it, to be considered. Rugby came along and instantly were saying "Oh, we'd need this changed and that changed etc" so they were dispatched.

SL had previously been interested in buying the club before Malcolm Pearce got involved.

Appreciates bubble trips are "beyond a joke" now and is actively looking to get rid of them. He said that before the Swansea game he had to go into the dressing room and inform the players (name-checked Hartley especially) that there were only 200 there and it wasn't due to the players; it was the bubble boycott. Often informs the players of the away following before the game as they react to it; large followings obviously help fire them up.

Players/finance.

Lots of the blindingly obvious or completely misguided questions fired at him but I'm sure a more comprehensive report'll come up - things like moving away fans into the other corner of the EE, why does the EE need to have such a wide net whilst Prem teams can have a row and some police instead.

Watch this space. I don't think it will be early November for any announcment. More like April 10. (I hope I am wrong. The sooner the better.) :fingerscrossed:

Players/finance.

looks to me like the club will be looking to sell the likes of James Wilson to recoup some finances probably the reason he is out on loan till January to put him in the shop window

Guest churchill gaffer
The planning applications/world cup stuff are indeed the first week of November.

I didn't say the world cup stuff

Yes the world cup stuff is November

But I was told by a councilor, that he would be very surprised if it was announced in November.

He said, he thought it would drag onto March / APril 10

I hope he doesn't know what he is talking about. But knowing the Bristol / North Somerset Council's history. It would not surprise me, as nothing gets done on time with them. (They drag on and on!!!!!)

looks to me like the club will be looking to sell the likes of James Wilson to recoup some finances probably the reason he is out on loan till January to put him in the shop window

That's fair enough if they do.

City obviously rate Nyatanga more highly, so signed him, pushing Wilson down the pecking order again.

Teams like Everton have been linked to James wilson for literally years and if they're now willing to make a 'Premier League' offer then we should accept it.

If we're not going to play our best Academy products then we should sell them while the iron's hot.

No problem with that, as long as we do one or the other.

I am writing up a report, which will go up on the Trust website as soon as I get time to do it :innocent06:

I did ask the question about parking restrictions on behalf of others (was at the front, so maybe not everyone heard it). Steve said he was unaware of it and would look into it.

Sorry never heard it!! I will blame it on the mobiles going off rather than deafness!!!

Guest churchill gaffer
I would expect a decision there and then because if the council have to submit the world cup bid on the 6th, they cant very well do that without approved plans for a stadium. :)

It wouldn't surprise me, if the world cup said yes

But the council could not make a decision on the new ground in time.

Then the world cup would go away

That doesn't mean we will not get the new ground. But we will not know until next year, due to the council dragging their feet AGAIN!!!!!

I do hope I am just paranold and wrong. And everything will fall into play perfactly

(Watch this space with the council though!) :fingerscrossed:

The Council Planning Committee will make a decision on the new stadium on November 4th. They will then make a decision on the Tesco application on November 5th. The Council must then submit any bid to be a World Cup City on November 6th. Three key days for this football club and the City of Bristol.

It wouldn't surprise me, if the world cup said yes

But the council could not make a decision on the new ground in time.

Then the world cup would go away

That doesn't mean we will not get the new ground. But we will not know until next year, due to the council dragging their feet AGAIN!!!!!

I do hope I am just paranold and wrong. And everything will fall into play perfactly

(Watch this space with the council though!) :fingerscrossed:

I would say 50 or so people crammed in very small room!

One interesting comment to my question of "Do you read the City fans websites/forums"

Answered (appoligies not exactly word perfect, but the gist being)

" I do & used to find them very interesting with some valid comments, but now I frankly get bored, & tend to switch off,due to people being lambasted & critisised which then deviates from the original point" !

I think it is fair to say we all have a great chance to get valid & some in-valid points to the "right" people in this club, who do read properly debated items, but this can be easily deflected by people drifting from the point.

I found his reply to this interesting too. I guess it won't always be to the taste of the chairman or manager, and it probably feels like intruding on a private party! I would guess he checks it every now and again.

Players/finance.

I asked him a few questions about the Bubble matches. I thought it was quite interesting that he often tells the players beforehand about how many of us will be there. Should be no greater incentive for this Saturday: 2,800 of us going and travelling a damn long way. We'd better put up a bit of a fight!

The Council Planning Committee will make a decision on the new stadium on November 4th. They will then make a decision on the Tesco application on November 5th. The Council must then submit any bid to be a World Cup City on November 6th. Three key days for this football club and the City of Bristol.

Thanks Dave. Pencilled in diary.

On another note - were the club aware of the scandalous double yellows placed all around the stadium this past week??

On another note - were the club aware of the scandalous double yellows placed all around the stadium this past week??

They club are fully aware, they received notification from BCC last week, which they passed on to BCFC fans via the Official Site.

From the statement the main 'reasoning' behind it is, "Need for greater restrictions following newly approved residential development at old Megabowl site .... and a further development being considered at the old Mercedes site".

god damn it - double yellows can only be enforced if they are continuous - if they have been broken by wear or tear or vandals and their spray cans then as long as you have a picture of the non continuous lines then you can appeal against any fine and win.

So we can rely on you to have a tin of black spray paint in your boot then sir? Excellent.

I asked him a few questions about the Bubble matches. I thought it was quite interesting that he often tells the players beforehand about how many of us will be there. Should be no greater incentive for this Saturday: 2,800 of us going and travelling a damn long way. We'd better put up a bit of a fight!

I think a stubborn goalless draw following a 2-1 win tuesday night. :) - Have a good trip youalll. wish i was there. I will be singing from the rooftops of havana if we get anything from the game.

Archived