IGNORED

Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Mcallister

Mr Mosquito

In my opinion, Hollowhead's Blackpool were really lucky not to get drubbed last night and our defence was awesome. Saborio could have and should have got a hat-trick before he was substituted and if Evander Sno had converted a few of his chances at the end we would have really drubbed Blackpool. For me Orr, Carey, Nyatanga and McAllister must be the best defence combination we've got and the best in the Championship? We've got either Gerkin or Basso to put behind those 4 so that's our defence well sorted for the season.

I was really impressed by our performance last night against a pretty decent Blackpool side. We were yet again under seige in the last 5 minutes - as per every game - but at least we had a 2 goal cushion against Blackpool so even if they did score we'd have still won 2-1. If only we can go on from this to humiliate those Geordie Barcodes at St James' Park and really set the Championship on fire. :winner_third_h4h:

one of the best in terms of shutting the oppo out. but our full backs struggle with their attacking play, orr gets forward well and has a great engine, but niether of them are great in terms of distribution in fact at times their passing and crossing is henious.

lewin had a good game generally last night but i was concerned by the couple of times he had free headers and didnt really clear the danger, the ball skidding off his head and dropping into a dangerous area. carey was simply superb, the way he nipped in front of his man and broke up play many times was great.

Its hard to be critical after we have just won 2-0, but I have to say that Jamie McAllister was turned several times far too easily last night. He did make some good contributions aswell, with some excellent tackling back - but I just felt that he was too easy to get past. Agree about Carey though - awesome!

Personally i thought JM crossing last night had got better. Orr had a couple of terrible crosses but i still think he is capable of getting better

I thought some of McAllister's timely interceptions and charge downs were at international standard. Perhaps if he can get other aspects of his game like crossing up to the same standard then he'll easily make the Scotland first team along with Hartley. For me, the man of the match last night was Louis Carey and the other 3 defenders weren't far off being at the same 'blood and guts' standard.

For me Orr, Carey, Nyatanga and McAllister must be the best defence combination we've got and the best in the Championship? We've got either Gerkin or Basso to put behind those 4 so that's our defence well sorted for the season.

If you look at the bare stats, Newcastle have conceded only 3 goals in 9 games, Blackpool 9 in 10 games which is the same as City, also 9 goals conceded in 10 games. Those are the best three in the CCC thus far.

That said Blackpool had most of their regular defence missing last night.

Personally, I reckon Carey's leadership qualities makes a big difference. He's an organiser and leads by example just as Shaun Taylor used to. None of the other center backs have the same level of experience as Carey and aren't so good at marshalling the other defenders, although Fontaine and Nyatanga are both better footballers imo and will both get better.

As for Orr and McAllister. They are both decent enough defenders and now that they have been instructed not to hoof the ball up the pitch are both better for it. The shorter the passes they make the more likely it is that they'll find a team mate. Shame they didn't realise that themselves. That said they both tend to waste farr too many crosses, McAllister in particular.

As for Orr and McAllister. They are both decent enough defenders and now that they have been instructed not to hoof the ball up the pitch are both better for it. The shorter the passes they make the more likely it is that they'll find a team mate. Shame they didn't realise that themselves. That said they both tend to waste farr too many crosses, McAllister in particular.

Same for Orr as for McAllister they're both very good defenders. Once they can both cross better and more consistently they'll both be at Premier League standard. As you wrote, the hoofing aspect of their game needs modifying for them to step to the next level and the next level for McAllister surely must be the Scotland first team.

I thought some of McAllister's timely interceptions and charge downs were at international standard. Perhaps if he can get other aspects of his game like crossing up to the same standard then he'll easily make the Scotland first team along with Hartley. For me, the man of the match last night was Louis Carey and the other 3 defenders weren't far off being at the same 'blood and guts' standard.

I completly agree. But for me Maynard was MOM with Carey second :closedeyes:

I completly agree. But for me Maynard was MOM with Carey second :closedeyes:

Maynard did do a brilliant bicycle/overhead kick for his goal but he also missed what looked like a sitter. Louis Carey MOTM for me as he helped keep what looked like at pretty dangerous Blackpool Hollowhead attack formation at bay all game. 'King Louis' for you Royalist types but General Louis Carey for me as he marshalled the BCFC defence and led by example all through the game.

I'm not sure about Nyatanga yet, guess I haven't seen enough of him to be confident yet and would prefer Fontaine. Fontaine quietly but dependably gets on with playing and looks relaxed and confident, he doesn't fill me with dread when he has the ball.

I don't really want to bash McCoombe but Carey last night just shows what we have been missing and just what McCoombe lacks. No doubt McCoombe has his strengths against certain players and in the past has chipped in a few vital goals, but I hope he gets a rest now for a while for both football and discliplinary reasons.

Orr is Orr, solid and dependable, always gives his all and has matured into a good player. I'm happy to have him in the team.

McAllister. For a while i felt he needed competition for his place. He did seem to get a bit complacent. But since the arrival of Hartley he has been a new player. They link up well and have a good understanding, I though he did well last night even without Hartley.

I would like to see Ribero given a chance soon though, being named as sub he is getting closer.

It did certainly show that we have missed his experience and leadership when he was out and for me he is one of the first names on my teamsheet. The thing i love about Carey is he drives forward and that causes the opposition problems. Unlike Boom he is very comfortable on the ball.

Mr Boom McCoombe takes some criticism for his ball skills but his main strength lies with dealing with aerial bombardments where he can often clear dangerous high balls with his headers for half the length of the pitch. Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Mcallister, Fontaine, McCoombe - 4 picked from those should be well capaple of dealing with any type of opposition attack formation in this division.

Mr Boom McCoombe takes some criticism for his ball skills but his main strength lies with dealing with aerial bombardments where he can often clear dangerous high balls with his headers for half the length of the pitch. Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, Mcallister, Fontaine, McCoombe - 4 picked from those should be well capaple of dealing with any type of opposition attack formation in this division.

I know Boom is getting quite alot of stick at the moment but although he posses a great ariel defensive abilities he looks uncomfortable on the ball and quite often decides to take the long ball up field. Last night Carey played and is also good in the air, but when ball at his feet was played out and the ball stayed on the floor for alot of the game.

I know Boom is getting quite alot of stick at the moment but although he posses a great ariel defensive abilities he looks uncomfortable on the ball and quite often decides to take the long ball up field. Last night Carey played and is also good in the air, but when ball at his feet was played out and the ball stayed on the floor for alot of the game.

It's not so much that carey kept it on the deck, the main difference is when Carey plays it long, he aims for someone. Every long ball last night was aimed at soborio and Sno. If mccombe was in the team they would have been aimless hoofs to nobody in particular.

It's not so much that carey kept it on the deck, the main difference is when Carey plays it long, he aims for someone. Every long ball last night was aimed at soborio and Sno. If mccombe was in the team they would have been aimless hoofs to nobody in particular.

That was the type of thing i was trying to get across. I do think that Carey keeps it on the deck more, he pushes up with the ball and keeps it simple instead of as you said aimless long balls.

All if all i was happy with the defensive side of our game last night

That was the type of thing i was trying to get across. I do think that Carey keeps it on the deck more, he pushes up with the ball and keeps it simple instead of as you said aimless long balls.

All if all i was happy with the defensive side of our game last night

And if there is no option to pass, louis will take it on himself, forcing the opposition midfield players to come out....

how we didnt concede at the end of the first half i will never know. they had they're chances and was mainly down to poor finishing.

TBH for all the pressure towards the end of the 1st half the only real threat to goal was dealt with by a good instinctive tip over by Basso. Considering their form and some good results previously i was pretty disappointed with the way they came out. We bossed them for the majority of the 1st half, from the Atyeo Saborio`s chance looked like a good challenge from their defender, couldn`t see what happened with Maynards opportunity. I felt it wasn`t until we got the 2nd and they made some changes with Adams (?) and that big lad as well that they started to boss a bit, that prompted the sub for Maynard and us playing one up and trying to pack the midfield a bit. I know some view it as negative but 2-0 up there`s no need to be gung ho. Defence played well and lets not forget that this is probably the first time for a while that GJ has been able to field something like his 1st choice line up and the performance bodes well. Saturday will be a real test though but if we can repeat the level of performance from last night we are more than capable of coming away with a point at least. A bright start will soon silence those geordies and with 2800 ciderheads making themselves heard it will be a great day out (hopefully) for you all.

PDG

Not that long ago Carey was by far the worst for booting aimless balls up the pitch but he finally seems to have cut it out of his game. Under Tinnion in particular Carey would welly the ball virtually every time he got it. It was dire stuff and I spoke to Tinnion once about it and he said that despite being instructed to be more creative with the ball Carey just couldn't get out of the habit.

He looks as if Johnson has managed to break Carey's habit of an almost full career.

Not that long ago Carey was by far the worst for booting aimless balls up the pitch but he finally seems to have cut it out of his game. Under Tinnion in particular Carey would welly the ball virtually every time he got it. It was dire stuff and I spoke to Tinnion once about it and he said that despite being instructed to be more creative with the ball Carey just couldn't get out of the habit.

He looks as if Johnson has managed to break Carey's habit of an almost full career.

I`m sorry, not sure where you got this from. I may well be wrong but i`ve never had cause to class Carey as a hoofer.

PDG

And if there is no option to pass, louis will take it on himself, forcing the opposition midfield players to come out....

Last night there was a couple of examples, pushing past the half way line on a few occasions, also at one point he was on the right hand side down by the blackpool fans after he kept his run going.

I think under GJ he maybe has more confidence to find time on the ball and push forward,

Saturday will be a real test though but if we can repeat the level of performance from last night we are more than capable of coming away with a point at least. A bright start will soon silence those geordies and with 2800 ciderheads making themselves heard it will be a great day out (hopefully) for you all.

PDG

Well, Hollowhead's Blackpool have beaten Newcastle 2-1 this season. Newcastle are now well ripe for being beaten by Bristol's Red Army as well. :winner_third_h4h:

Archived