IGNORED

The £40m Question

Martyn Hocking

Just did a quick tot-up of the fees Newcastle have paid for players still on their books and who have turned out for them so far this season. The total is close to £40m, with the breakdown as follows:

Colochini (£10m)

Enrique (£6m)

Nolan (£4m)

Barton (£6m)

Smith (£6m)

Gutierrez (£5m)

Butt (£2.5m)

So, while they have shifted out the likes of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Given, it would be fair to say that their current squad has still cost approx 10 TIMES more than our current first team squad to assemble.

This gulf in spending reminds me of the FA Cup against Leeds back in 74 when the City programme did a piece on how Leeds' team had cost £3m to assemble at a time when our entire first team had cost us about £300k.

What is interesting is that at the time Leeds were by far the best team in Britain, while we were in about the same position as we occupy today. The difference today is that we are being outspent by a factor of 10:1 by a crap team that has just been relegated out of the top flight....

None of which is to say that we can't win tomorrow - but it does bring into focus the scale of the challenge. Newcastle currently have 7 players on their books who cost more than our record signing!

Well_red

Just did a quick tot-up of the fees Newcastle have paid for players still on their books and who have turned out for them so far this season. The total is close to £40m, with the breakdown as follows:

Colochini (£10m)

Enrique (£6m)

Nolan (£4m)

Barton (£6m)

Smith (£6m)

Gutierrez (£5m)

Butt (£2.5m)

So, while they have shifted out the likes of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Given, it would be fair to say that their current squad has still cost approx 10 TIMES more than our current first team squad to assemble.

This gulf in spending reminds me of the FA Cup against Leeds back in 74 when the City programme did a piece on how Leeds' team had cost £3m to assemble at a time when our entire first team had cost us about £300k.

What is interesting is that at the time Leeds were by far the best team in Britain, while we were in about the same position as we occupy today. The difference today is that we are being outspent by a factor of 10:1 by a crap team that has just been relegated out of the top flight....

None of which is to say that we can't win tomorrow - but it does bring into focus the scale of the challenge. Newcastle currently have 7 players on their books who cost more than our record signing!

Well_red

I understand the general gist of your thread.....however `a crap team` ? I reckon they`ll cruise this league, they may have been relegated but a crap team is something of an exagerration.

PDG

You get what you pay for. Simple as.

Unless we broaden our prospects we will always be a championship side.

are you saying we should start throwing money around like Newcastle have in the last 5 years? do you think it has got them anywhere?

I much prefer our current transfer tack tick of investing in young players that should return a profit in the future and in the meantime progress the club as well.

You can have instant results in anything in life if you throw enough money at it. True reward is knowing that the whole thing wont come crashing down when an unsustainable amount of money dries up.

The only way for this club to spend more money is to make more money first, spending big money first on short term investments (players) is a really risky business model and is more likely to end you up in a worse position in the long run as we found out in the early 80's.

Archived