IGNORED

Best Start For Three Years!

BarneyCity

After all the doom mongering, I thought I'd do abit of digging. So although we got off to a storming start in our first year back the stats can give a different story based on the opposition that we faced. Hope you find it interesting.

We have greatly improved performances against the top teams - Newcastle and Middlesbrough being examples of this.

Against mid table we have improved, taking an average of 2.2 points per game.

Only against the bottom teams have we slipped up so far this year - only played 2, Derby and S****horpe, so after our next few games we may well see this improve significantly.

Interesting to note, but for the crazy last 15 minutes at Preston, where we should have won, and S****horpe, at home where we should have won we would have 20 points, the same number as two years ago. And to put this into context, a number of our performances have been hampered greatly by illness to first chioce players.

On the form so far, with a good improvement against the bottom teams, and realistically a slight drop against mid table, a finish of 80 points is not beyond our ability, which would for the last two years have meant either 2nd or 3rd place! I for one remain optimistic.

Apologies if the alignment ain't so good, I tried and failed to solve the copyig from excel.

Vs top 8 (after 11 games)

Home Away

P W D L P W D L Points per game

1 1 0 0 3 0 2 1 1.25 2009 - 2010

1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0.5 2007 - 2008

2 0 1 1 3 0 1 2 0.4 2008 - 2009

Vs middle 8 (after 11 games)

Home Away

3 3 0 0 2 0 2 0 2.2 2009 - 2010

2 1 1 0 2 1 1 0 2 2007 - 2008

2 0 2 0 1 1 0 0 1.66 2008 - 2009

Vs bottom 8 (after 11 games)

Home Away

2 2 0 0 1 1 0 0 3 2008 - 2009

2 1 1 0 3 2 1 0 2.2 2007 - 2008

1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0.5 2009 - 2010

It's a very interesting way of looking at the statistics, and credit to you for doing that because they do make refreshing reading. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say we would breach or meet the 80 point barrier but things should certainly not be 'doom and gloom' with players returning and getting back to fitness and our favoured formation. We've not had a bad start to the season at all, with some very tough games... Not many teams will go to St James' and come away with a point, and they all add up.

After all the doom mongering, I thought I'd do abit of digging. So although we got off to a storming start in our first year back the stats can give a different story based on the opposition that we faced. Hope you find it interesting.

We have greatly improved performances against the top teams - Newcastle and Middlesbrough being examples of this.

Only against the bottom teams have we slipped up so far this year - only played 2, Derby and S****horpe, so after our next few games we may well see this improve significantly.

Interesting to note, but for the crazy last 15 minutes at Preston, where we should have won, and S****horpe, at home where we should have won we would have 20 points (Sorry should read 21 points - would be third,level on points with WBA) , the same number as two years ago. And to put this into context, a number of our performances have been hampered greatly by illness to first chioce players.

On the form so far, with a good improvement against the bottom teams, and realistically a slight drop against mid table, a finish of 80 points is not beyond our ability, which would for the last two years have meant either 2nd or 3rd place! I for one remain optimistic.

Apologies if the alignment ain't so good, I tried and failed to solve the copyig from excel.

Home Away

Home Away

Home Away

Stats can be managed to look pretty much anyway you want....

The bottom line is that despite just two defeats so far City simply aren't creating enough chances. Its worse away from AG but even at home the tally is abysmal. Its disapointing because City have the strikers that are very capable of putting chances away.

Its been a familiar story ever since Johnson got us into the CCC and it must be down to his cautious style and negative way of trying to hold onto a lead or a point.

After Blackpool had battered the City goal when they were 2-0 down Johnson said in his post match interview that 'they' (meaning his players) had sat back and allowed B'pool to come onto them rather than go for the killer third goal. No mention of 'we' sitting back. Its as if he's absolveing himself from the teams negative tactics.

He's the manager and its down to him to decide what style the team plays. He could have got the message out from the dugout, particularly about leaving a striker in the center circle when defending corners.

Against Posh and Argyle I would love to see a positive formation, City playing with pace and tempo and lots of chances created. A 3-5 -2 would enable that with Orr and McAllister pushing up as wingbacks. Sno, Elliot and Williams in the middle.

Pretty certain we won't see it tho'.

The next 7 games will tell us a lot about this squad of players.

Peterboro at home, Plymouth at home, Barnsley away and Wendies at home are all winnable, although Barnsley's recent form means all of a sudden that becomes a tricky looking game. Forest away, WBA away and Sheff Utd at home are all tough games.

Lets look at the stats again after these games!

Interesting to note, but for the crazy last 15 minutes at Preston, where we should have won, and S****horpe, at home where we should have won we would have 20 points, the same number as two years ago. And to put this into context, a number of our performances have been hampered greatly by illness to first chioce players.

Home Away

Home Away

Home Away

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

some people want attractive football and not bothered if we win as long as there entertained but im sure even arsenal fans wouldn't even hesitate to give up watching nice entertaining football to win the premier league or european cup

some people want attractive football and not bothered if we win as long as there entertained but im sure even arsenal fans wouldn't even hesitate to give up watching nice entertaining football to win the premier league or european cup

I must admit, I'm of the 'I like to watch attractive football' persuasion, BUT I do appreciate the need to grind out a result through mind numbingly boring football. Comes with the territory of supporting City I suppose!

I must admit, I'm of the 'I like to watch attractive football' persuasion, BUT I do appreciate the need to grind out a result through mind numbingly boring football. Comes with the territory of supporting City I suppose!

Me too, but I reckon the quality of the football under Johnson has deteriorated in the CCC. Sure the opposition is tougher but thats no excuse to play so cautiously and create so few chances game after game.

How I long for the days of watching free flowing football with exciting wingers as under Jordan, Ward and Wilson.

Me too, but I reckon the quality of the football under Johnson has deteriorated in the CCC. Sure the opposition is tougher but thats no excuse to play so cautiously and create so few chances game after game.

How I long for the days of watching free flowing football with exciting wingers as under Jordan, Ward and Wilson.

:noexpression: :noexpression: :noexpression: :noexpression: Heard it all now. Why not Pulis as well....

:noexpression: :noexpression: :noexpression: :noexpression: Heard it all now. Why not Pulis as well....

you may aswell add benny as well we tried to play open attacking football under him which resulted in us getting dicked nearly every week oh how i enjoyed trips to palarse,wolves,birmigham,bradford and west brom but we did manage to beat pompey away 1 nil thanks to a adam locke header the highlight of that season was already down last game of the season against norwich we did the conga in the ateyo

...but watching city perenially fighting it out at the top of the championship doesnt come with the territory of supporting city - and that is way more important!!!...so enjoy the fact we are where we are...couldnt give a fig how we play!

Wasn't it Jordan who employed Mark Gavin and Dave Smith? Two flying wingers as I recall.

I for one enjoyed. Gavin and smudger smith, indeed thats my city indoctrination - just to balance this. Joe J was also responsible for Junior Bent - a poor mans Ivan Sproule, and I'm sure most people have a view on the huge shortcomings of Ivans ability (I know a number of people who can run fast, and some others that can cross a football. but why would a football manager not see that at a professional level perhaps they should combine both these abilities)

For me I want to see Danny Haynes causing real problems to defences, alongside Maynard and Saborio - and doing it for 90 minutes, and thats the key

We have a great defence, but stats and experience suggest that you attack throughout the game and not try to shut up shop - if the teams winning then we're better than the other team so why stop and say. come and have a go for ten minutes. sort that out and we might score more goals. win those close games and have a better goal difference

Archived