IGNORED

Beware The Nimby's

myol'man

Mods, i know this belongs on the New Stadium sub-forum, but thought it needed greater coverage.

I've just attended a meeting at Bedminster Down school,

which was organised by DRAG ( Dundry residents action group )

http://www.dundryresidentsactiongroup.org.uk/

and attended by local councillor, and leader of the Bristol Conservetives, Richard Eddy,

and other groups such as the Ashton Vale residents group, Barrow Gurney parish council, amongst others.

There was probably between 200 to 300 people, and the vast majority were opposed to the developement of up to 9,500 new homes between the A370 and the A38 and the new link road running beteen the two, in an area called Ashton Park.

They were objecting on the grounds of amongst others " it'll spoil the veiws from Dundry" and "too much traffic" ,

and the best of the lot "if Barrow tanks burst it's banks, thousands would be flooded" ( are the Dambusters coming?)

But there was a definate, underlying link to our new stadium, along the lines of

"if BCFC are allowed onto the green belt, whats to stop the rest"

" the new stadium will be the thin end of the wedge"

"who wants to shop at Tesco anyway"

" they want to have a 24 hour fast food drive through there"

One chap got up to say " it will be good for South Bristol to have some investment for a change"

and he got jeered.

These people are VERY well organised, writing to MP's, councillors etc. starting petitions and arranging meetings.

If you support the New Stadium proposals, do your bit, write to your councillor and sign the petition in favour.

Cheers, Sid

One chap got up to say " it will be good for South Bristol to have some investment for a change"

and he got jeered.

The people that jeered that chap must be mad - or able to live a £millionaire lifestyle from savings. For the rest of us that have to work - who in their right mind would turn down investment in their area? The chart below says it all because investment in South Bristol will provide jobs - look at the alternative of rising unemployment....

EthnicUnemployment.gif

Graph source article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/1...ures?CMP=AFCYAH

The people in the photo as well as those quoted seem to be of a certain age.

I wonder how their houses came to exist. Presumably they planted house seeds and they grew out of the ground.

I also wonder if any of them have children and grandchildren living in new developments and if they objected to them buying there.

Mods, i know this belongs on the New Stadium sub-forum, but thought it needed greater coverage.

I've just attended a meeting at Bedminster Down school,

which was organised by DRAG ( Dundry residents action group )

http://www.dundryresidentsactiongroup.org.uk/

and attended by local councillor, and leader of the Bristol Conservetives, Richard Eddy,

and other groups such as the Ashton Vale residents group, Barrow Gurney parish council, amongst others.

There was probably between 200 to 300 people, and the vast majority were opposed to the developement of up to 9,500 new homes between the A370 and the A38 and the new link road running beteen the two, in an area called Ashton Park.

They were objecting on the grounds of amongst others " it'll spoil the veiws from Dundry" and "too much traffic" ,

and the best of the lot "if Barrow tanks burst it's banks, thousands would be flooded" ( are the Dambusters coming?)

But there was a definate, underlying link to our new stadium, along the lines of

"if BCFC are allowed onto the green belt, whats to stop the rest"

" the new stadium will be the thin end of the wedge"

"who wants to shop at Tesco anyway"

" they want to have a 24 hour fast food drive through there"

and he got jeered.

These people are VERY well organised, writing to MP's, councillors etc. starting petitions and arranging meetings.

If you support the New Stadium proposals, do your bit, write to your councillor and sign the petition in favour.

Cheers, Sid

The difference here thou is the Stadium is generally a BCC planning issue with them being the deciding authority. NS will go along with BCC's verdict despite the fact they've already raised concern about this being built on greenbelt land...

The basis of the 9'500 houses is purely down to an application that goes solely through North Somerset. It's hugely unlikely that it'll get approval from what I understand... it's a bit unfortunate that it's being proposed at the same time as the stadium really.

I must admit, and call me cynical if you like but I've often wondered just how much impact petitions and pressure groups have upon major development plans like this one.

It seems to me that no matter where major develpments are proposed its a given that there will always a group of people who opposite them. Almost once a week there are stories on the local news about planning opposition. It might be wind farms, traveller sites, housing developments, airport expansion, retail parks ect,ect. All the local councils know what to expect when they publish propsals for whatever type of development. No doubt its the same all over the country.

It would be no surprise to me if the decision due in early Novemeber has already been made.

Doesn't mean that I haven't supported City's stadium application in writing but I do wonder just how much difference its makes.

These people arent even NIMBYS. They are more like NERTFAVOMY (not even from the far away view of my back yard)....Same as the Long Ashton mob, they are only moaning about the view FFS.

I'm no geographer, but isn't Dundry on the top of the hill, miles away...a long way from traffic (which will realistically be mostly coming from the A370, A4, M32 and the rest of town...they will see no more of a sprawl than they do now.

I have faith in the powers that be will prefer the benefits to the area of construction and jobs (epecially in such a deep recession) that will far outway their borgeois protests.

If I was them, I'd be far more worried about the proposed large scale development of 1200 or so houses, planned to go up by the crematorium / golf club, than I ever would about a stadium / retail / housing complex about 3 miles away at the foot of the hill.

selfish cnuts

AFAIK, the 'view' and the 'light' or NOT acceptable as grounds for denying a planning application.

In other words, nobody can object to a planning application if their only reason is 'It blocks (or spoils) my view' or 'It degrades the light on to my property'. Or rather, you CAN object, but it will be ignored.

If that's all they've got in their arsenal, we've nothing to worry about.

The people in the photo as well as those quoted seem to be of a certain age.

I wonder how their houses came to exist. Presumably they planted house seeds and they grew out of the ground.

I also wonder if any of them have children and grandchildren living in new developments and if they objected to them buying there.

FU#K EM,OPPOSE THIS OPPOSE THAT,the airport,gloucs cricket ground,the gas memorial ground,new homes anywhere,weston tropicana pool,old birnbeck pier wsm .Every time anything developement wise comes round some belly ache opposite scream erupts in protest. AS said before where are any jobs going to come from without investment and new projects so a few middle class toes get stepped on . Tough

It cracks me up it really does..."People living round here today will be expected to live in the middle of a building site for the next 20 years if this plan gets the go-ahead.".....20 years? Get a grip man...they are building some houses and a few new roads not a 1:1 scale replica of Bristol.

As the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.

They don't, it is only if it scares the local MP enough to fear he may lose his seat.

The NIMBY argument is very weak, it's their argument of having views of open fields from their houses against the need for more houses and infrastructure and jobs.

Anyway, 'local' Lib-Lab-Con MPs will be falling like nine pins at the next General Election - all over the country. :winner_third_h4h:

AFAIK, the 'view' and the 'light' or NOT acceptable as grounds for denying a planning application.

In other words, nobody can object to a planning application if their only reason is 'It blocks (or spoils) my view' or 'It degrades the light on to my property'. Or rather, you CAN object, but it will be ignored.

If that's all they've got in their arsenal, we've nothing to worry about.

Loss of light can be a material planning consideration, the loss of a view is not.

Loss of light can be a material planning consideration, the loss of a view is not.

I remember similar things being said when they wanted to build Ikea at Eastgate....some residents gardens now have a nice blue corrugated metal view out the back of there houses....if that can go ahead......

Archived