IGNORED

Which Old Manager Would You Bring Back?

Br 1st ol

Alan Dicks.

Managed the "Glory team" that i first watched in the late 70`s.

I am sure that some of the really old gits on here will remember back even further.

Over to you DaveL

Sorry Potbelly. Can't remember that far back. You know what they say ..if you can remember the 60's, you weren't there.

Sam Hollis was manager three times and each time got the club out of a crisis.

Harry Thickett was our most successful manager ever.

In (my) living memory, Alan Dicks.

On a low budget, kept us up, League Cup semi final, (why oh why didn't Garland chip the Spurs keeper when we were 1-0 up?), Watney Cup semi final, Anglo Scottish Cup winners and, oh yes got us into Div 1.

Just as a counter Tompos post, not all managers/captains etc are scaked cos they are not up to it...

eg Bobby Robson post 1990

eg El Tel post 1996

eg Ruud Gullit at chelsea

eg David O'leary at Leeds

eg John Ward at Brizzle

eg Dave Jones at Southampton

eg Crozier at the FA

eg Richard Bacon on Blue Peter

eg Dallaglio from england rugby captain

eg IDS from tories (Ok maybe not)

Politics can also play a part...

Personally John Ward would be my top choice. A proven record of getting us out of this division and in doing well at lower division clubs.

Those of you wondering what Alan Dicks is doing now might like to read our interview with him in The Incider a few months ago - it's in the back issues section when the new edition goes online at the end of this week.

By the way, there's still time to get your letters in at letters@theincider.com. :clap:

Presumably if they were sacked it would be because they weren't up to the job and it never seem to work bringing an old manager back.

The logic of this forum defies belief at times.

I take your point Tompo, but clubs do change, not only in playing personnel, backroom staff, board members etc.

Just because ....................was sacked in ............... , doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't be up to the job with the current set-up/regime?

Just to join in with the topic of this thread, I think John Ward is a fantastic manager at this level and the decision to bring Benny the Jester in over the top of him was one of the biggest errors of judgement this club has made in my time as a supporter.

Presumably if they were sacked it would be because they weren't up to the job and it never seem to work bringing an old manager back.

The logic of this forum defies belief at times.

Yeah but what about managers who werent sacked?

The likes of Ward and Fawthrop???

:Cheeky22: :Cheeky22:

Alan Dicks - a legend, and to think on more than one occasion in his early years I joined the many in chanting "Dicks out"

He has been at AG for at least half the home games this season - always sits in the Director's Box.

Was aged 35 when he joined City in 1967 so that makes him 71 now !!!

I don't believe in having old managers back, it didn't work when we got Jordan back.

As Moltshoveller mentioned, A club should look forward not backwards.

If the manager was sacked last time round, he wasn't upto the job last time, so why should he be this time?

If a manager left to supposedly better himself, why take him back? just so he can walk out on you again when he thinks something better comes along again!!

As for O'leary going back to Leeds, if it happens.......

They better get the grave diggers ready, he will kill the club forever!!

Christ sakes!

How about Danny Wilson? Remember him? Popular last year? Fallen out of favour with everyone because we've lost three league games this season? Ring any bells? Okay, he's struggling to get the Team to adjust to the loss of Scott Murray but can we really afford to sack him in the current financial climate?

Hello!!!!!! :Confused13:

Scooter Red

Bring back Harry Thickett May - the manager that got us to the FA Cup final and league championship runners up in the period 1906-09. Wonder how long he's been dead?

Failing that Joe Jordan or Terry Cooper from the 1980's period. I've still got a soft spot for our most successful manager in my lifetime - Alan Dicks - I salute you B)

Archived