IGNORED

Sunderland's "beach Ball" Goal

The Man In Black

Far from me to dredge up forgotten incidents, but I have been watching with interest the media reaction to Sunderland's goal at Liverpool, which deflected in off a beach ball that had been thrown on the pitch.

Incidentally, I bet that Liverpool fan feels like a plonker.

Anyway, without a doubt, it shouldn't have been a goal. Any object that shouldn't be on the pitch that changes the flight of the ball should cause play to stop and a drop ball be given. I remember during my training one of our instructors told us a story about a pitch he regularly officiated at that had low power lines directly above the field of play. Several times in each game he would have to stop play and give a drop ball directly below where the ball had struck the power lines.

I can only presume the ref was unsighted and thought it had struck a player on the way towards the goal.

Steve Bruce has commented that he didn't realise that was the rules and anyone that did know that is a "saddo". Sigh. I suppose by now I should stop expecting people that play and work in football for a living full-time should at least know the laws of the game. Is it too much to ask?

Anyway, back to my main point. So it shouldn't have really stood. A goal that never was.

Where's the uproar? Why haven't the media gone crazy on why those cheating Sunderland scum didn't let poor Liverpool walk the ball into the net at the other end? Why didn't Steve Bruce take the moral high-ground and show some sporting decency? I hope that this is brought up on Match of the Day tonight and the pundits lay into Sunderland and debate where all the fair play spirit has gone from the game, and mentioned constantly after every Liverpool game's highlights for the next couple of weeks.

To all those that think I'm making a storm in a tea cup here, this could cost Liverpool the title! It could cost Rafa Benitez his job!

Guest bigcheese

U mightve thought the keeper would have moved it, bizarre!

But yer like the OP said our little 'situation' made us 'cheats' why is this any different.

Lighten up. What about the Man City goal off Sheffield Utd's balloons on the pitch 2 years ago? It's just their own fans throwing stuff about that's come to bite them in the arse, and it's hilarious.

Lighten up?!? Liverpool are a honest hard working bunch, Rafa is struggling without the financial liberties that other teams can take, has built a team of young players who are trying as hard as they can and don't need something like this happening.

This sort of thing costs jobs! But that ref will be allowed to referee next week. It's a disgrace.

Lighten up?!? Liverpool are a honest hard working bunch, Rafa is struggling without the financial liberties that other teams can take, has built a team of young players who are trying as hard as they can and don't need something like this happening.

This sort of thing costs jobs! But that ref will be allowed to referee next week. It's a disgrace.

What planet are you from?

What about Gerrard is honest? He throws himself to the ground as soon as any "jonny-foreigner".

Rafa is struggling without the finanacial liberties

£17.5M on Glenn Johnson, £20M on Torres, £9M on Kuyt, £12M on "jonny-foreigner", £15M on "jonny-foreigner 2" ...

The list goes on and on and on.....

Notice the difference between our incident and this one? The difference being Colin blew it out of all proportion where as Rafa has shown dignity and blamed his teams performance for them losing the game rather than branding Sunderland and the officials cheats.

Radio 5 this morning; the Ref's boss has critiscised the match official over the incident as "a dropped ball should have been awarded where the beach ball entered the field of play".

That's the same boss who immediately suspended all match officials from City v Palace.

Jesus Christ, it's clear that dripping sarcasm is lost on the OTIB forum nowadays.....

Ah right, you are from Planet Sarcasm.

Although in my defence I did hear Mark Lawrenson on FiveLive yesterday saying that Rafa didn't have any money to play with.

I don't think he was being sarcastic.

Who can tell these days? :dunno:

Far from me to dredge up forgotten incidents, but I have been watching with interest the media reaction to Sunderland's goal at Liverpool, which deflected in off a beach ball that had been thrown on the pitch.

Incidentally, I bet that Liverpool fan feels like a plonker.

Anyway, without a doubt, it shouldn't have been a goal. Any object that shouldn't be on the pitch that changes the flight of the ball should cause play to stop and a drop ball be given. I remember during my training one of our instructors told us a story about a pitch he regularly officiated at that had low power lines directly above the field of play. Several times in each game he would have to stop play and give a drop ball directly below where the ball had struck the power lines.

I can only presume the ref was unsighted and thought it had struck a player on the way towards the goal.

Steve Bruce has commented that he didn't realise that was the rules and anyone that did know that is a "saddo". Sigh. I suppose by now I should stop expecting people that play and work in football for a living full-time should at least know the laws of the game. Is it too much to ask?

Anyway, back to my main point. So it shouldn't have really stood. A goal that never was.

Where's the uproar? Why haven't the media gone crazy on why those cheating Sunderland scum didn't let poor Liverpool walk the ball into the net at the other end? Why didn't Steve Bruce take the moral high-ground and show some sporting decency? I hope that this is brought up on Match of the Day tonight and the pundits lay into Sunderland and debate where all the fair play spirit has gone from the game, and mentioned constantly after every Liverpool game's highlights for the next couple of weeks.

To all those that think I'm making a storm in a tea cup here, this could cost Liverpool the title! It could cost Rafa Benitez his job!

In the media's eyes it appears that if you score when you shouldn't then that's OK but if a goal is cancelled when a linesman spots an incident then that's not fair. Have to remember that for media relations wont we!

Ah right, you are from Planet Sarcasm.

Although in my defence I did hear Mark Lawrenson on FiveLive yesterday saying that Rafa didn't have any money to play with.

I don't think he was being sarcastic.

Who can tell these days? :dunno:

Obviously I echoed the style of the media and Colin too closely. I'll have to leave more clues next time :innocent06:

i blame the yank for ruining liverpool YANK OUT DIC IN

Archived