IGNORED

Are We Better Off Without Hartley?

greenun

I've missed the last 2 City matches against Plymouth (with Hartley) and Barnsley (without), and ask whether the Scot's omission yesterday had a positive impact in midfield?

Hartley was very good against Plymouth and MoM in many fans opinion. Big surprise not to see him start against Barnsley yesterday but City managed to win without him.

More a reflection of how strong City are in the midfield department than anything to do with Hartley. Who knows - if Hartley had played yesterday City might have won 2-4.

Are we better off without him ?

Dumb question.

It does beg the question though, that if LJ had played against Plymouth, and been Mom in many peoples' eyes, would GJ have come out in the press and say he was changing a winning team, and promptly replace LJ with Hartley. Yes, we won, and yes , I am delighted but this is getting silly.

The stats are below

P W D L F A PTS

With 9 4 3 2 10 9 15

W/out 5 2 3 0 7 4 9

Hope this helps

Not alot!!

So with him, we average 1.66 pts a game. Without him the average is 1.8 pts per game. so not really sure what point is being made!

Personally, i think Hartley is a great player and person to have at the club on a number of levels. Deffo better off with him involved.

Although there is a fair point in saying i think he struggles with 2/3 games a week, hence the new squad rotation. Which i support, providing it is being done for the right reasons!

Its great to have this level of quality competition for places!

:englandsmile4wf:

Not alot!!

So with him, we average 1.66 pts a game. Without him the average is 1.8 pts per game. so not really sure what point is being made!

Personally, i think Hartley is a great player and person to have at the club on a number of levels. Deffo better off with him involved.

Although there is a fair point in saying i think he struggles with 2/3 games a week, hence the new squad rotation. Which i support, providing it is being done for the right reasons!

Its great to have this level of quality competition for places!

:englandsmile4wf:

I was showing some stats to counter the subtext of the original post.

Simple fact is Hartley is 33 years of age and has not played more than 30 games in each of the previous three seasons.

No doubt he is a very good player but to expect him to perform over 46 games at the intensity that GJ requires is not on and is presumably why he does not play every game. Have to trust the managers judgement on this this, but then what does he know ?

could you do one of these for lee johnson please?

....and then could you do one for Elliot...and then Skuse....and then Sno.... and then Maynard etc etc. And what will any of them prove? Nothing!! It's a team game. Unless we're able to get a Cantona, or a Maradona (probably the only players in my lifetime that could change a teams fortunes single handedly) then whether we win or lose games isn't down to one player.

In the NHL they do a +/- rating which shows the goal difference of the team when that player is on the pitch. That's more useful than a win loss thing, because that doesn't take into accoutn goals scored before a player comes on or after they go off.

I was showing some stats to counter the subtext of the original post.

Simple fact is Hartley is 33 years of age and has not played more than 30 games in each of the previous three seasons.

No doubt he is a very good player but to expect him to perform over 46 games at the intensity that GJ requires is not on and is presumably why he does not play every game. Have to trust the managers judgement on this this, but then what does he know ?

Being 33 and Scotland not qualifying for the WC Hartley probably has played his last game for them.

I don't mind a rotation between Skuse and Elliott but to keep Hartley out is weakening us.

Guest AJ Sylvester

Sno and Hartley are the best two players at the club IMO and just look so comfortable on the ball. I'd have both starting every week if fully fit.

If we play three in midfield then I'd probably have whoever is playing best out of Marvin and Skuse. I think Skuse is great but feel over 46 games Marvin would generally have that spot. It's a delight that we have those kind of options. The fact that in many games I wouldn't even start Skuse shows how strong our central midfield is.

Mark, are you on substance abuse :innocent06: ?

Hartley would be the first pick in a 4-4-2 and only rested in a 5 man midfield with a 3 match a week schedule.

Remember the match when 2 Hartley through balls resulted in 2 Maynard goals. No other player in our squad could have done that, not one !

I would place him above every other center midfielder we have and GJ needs to play him selectively. Adebola proved he could not handle a heavy schedule, Carey's injuries take longer to heal and likewise Hartley at 32 is a golden egg in the nest who we will need fit and well in April/May.

Considering the heavy schedule of the Championship, I would hate the play offs, the players need a good seasons end break. For me, it has to be automatic promotion, plus a solid left wing back in January, Blackman having gone.

Hartley is clearly one of the best players in our squad - but we have a strong squad and he will not be able to be at his best throughout the season if he plays every single game - we rested him we on we should be rejoicing in that fact but some see only conspiracy.

I would expect Hartley back very soon and am happy in the knowledge that GJ will use the squad we now have to try and make sure we last the full season and don't fade out of contention as we did last year.

Archived