IGNORED

10 Goals For Nicky

reddogkev

Just wanted to give some praise to Maynard. The guy is having a great season so far and is never afraid to try a shot from any distance, especially with his volley efforts. 10 Goals already is fantastic and at this rate he's going to smash the 20 figure by some distance.

Let's hope we can keep hold of him for a few more years, and maybe he can fire us into the prem.

Congrats to the man.

Just wanted to give some praise to Maynard. The guy is having a great season so far and is never afraid to try a shot from any distance, especially with his volley efforts. 10 Goals already is fantastic and at this rate he's going to smash the 20 figure by some distance.

Let's hope we can keep hold of him for a few more years, and maybe he can fire us into the prem.

Congrats to the man.

Yaay, a positive post.

Agreed, his goal yesterday was totally different to any he's scored for us, proves he can be a fox in the box too.

Congrats to the man.

Well said, he has vastly improved over the summer. He is sharper, seems to have half a yard extra pace and, most importantly, so much stronger. In a sense, yesterday's goal was just as impressive as the others.

Congrats to the man.

Many predicted last season that Maynard would come good this season and they were right. He's benefitted from last seasons experience. I think Johnson has worked hard to get more out of Maynard and his work rate has improved along with his movement. I get the impression that he's been instructed to shoot more often which has paid dividens. He certainly didn't try his luck as much last season.

He could get 20 by February if he stays fit.

Well said, he has vastly improved over the summer. He is sharper, seems to have half a yard extra pace and, most importantly, so much stronger. In a sense, yesterday's goal was just as impressive as the others.

Goddamn. I was just about to post almost exactly what you said!

Yesterday's goal was as impressive as any. He showed great strength and " a fox in the box" predator instinct. This can only improve his confidence more and encourage him to get into those danger areas.

Totally agree.

The amazing thing is he is still SO raw in so many ways; his close control is average, his touch is often heavy when receiving a drilled pass and many times (from the stands) you can see the space you would think he would run in too, but, often he doesn't.

Before anybody starts, this isn't a way of having a dig at him - it is more underlying the fact that he can be soooo much better given time and could prove to be the best bit of business City has done for a decade or more.

My slight concern is what happens If the goals dry up a bit and he has a bad spell some time this season? Fans are fickle and may quickly get on his back as he is not the sort of player who is going to still contribute greatly in assists or build up play.

He is a finisher - simple as - a very natural, confident finisher. I hope and believe his run will continue.

Congrats to the man.

Great post. :dancing6:

A few braces and hat-tricks might see Nicky Maynard smash the 30 goal barrier for the season.

Goddamn. I was just about to post almost exactly what you said!

Yesterday's goal was as impressive as any. He showed great strength and " a fox in the box" predator instinct. This can only improve his confidence more and encourage him to get into those danger areas.

He would not have scored that goal last season. Would have fallen over in the box and any penalty appeals would rightly have been dismissed.

Saborio needs a couple of goals, but he is an absolute class act. And, with Haynes and Clarkson (not to mention Akinde) competing for places, we have got some quality strikers.

Guest bigcheese

From a starting position where he always seemed to be pushed off the ball he has turned into a player with a real strength, great on the ball, great finishing and even not afraid to get stuck in both tackling/defensively. You always feel when he gets the ball he is going to do something with it... :englandsmile4wf:

Many predicted last season that Maynard would come good this season and they were right. He's benefitted from last seasons experience. I think Johnson has worked hard to get more out of Maynard and his work rate has improved along with his movement. I get the impression that he's been instructed to shoot more often which has paid dividens. He certainly didn't try his luck as much last season.

He could get 20 by February if he stays fit.

I think i was one of them, i started a post about it before the season started

im backing nicky for top scorer in the league this season :fingerscrossed:

Yesterdays goal he wouldn't of scored last season imo, he has got much stronger which you can see by the way he plays with his back to goal much more now. Yesterday's goal was very good, the way he battled through the Sheffield Wednesday defense to score was impressive, particularly due to his size. Took great persistance and determination.

Maynard's been fantastic this season and it's really benefited him that we've been able to provide him some ball to feet and in behind. If we could add delivery from wide to that he'd be frightening.

What's impressed me most is the dramatic improvement in his link play. He doesn't get easily pushed away now and he's very aware of where Haynes or his partner is and passes well around the box.

He's definitely stepped up the shooting too - stats here:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/Divi...4~20097,00.html

Yesterdays goal he wouldn't of scored last season imo, he has got much stronger which you can see by the way he plays with his back to goal much more now. Yesterday's goal was very good, the way he battled through the Sheffield Wednesday defense to score was impressive, particularly due to his size. Took great persistance and determination.

Haven't seen the replay but I thought Sheff Wed gave him a lot of room? I also suspected he was denied one by a bogus off-side decision. Anyway, Nicky is definitely player of the season so far and when he starts scoring the easy ones he'll be scoring 30+ easily.

Just hope him and Saborio can get their communication sorted. Yesterday there was a point where Nicky wanted the ball to his right, but didn't know what Saborio was going to do. Saborio played it where Nicky wanted it, was a perfect pass and Nicky would have been clean through (on his left) but since Nicky wasn't expecting it he didn't move.

Apart from the goals .Hes the player along with gerken who really looks like hes giving 111%.

Maybe these are the players who are not phased by the formation changes.Lets face it their roles are quite straightforward.

I'd have to disagree there. Maynard's natural position is right up front on the defenders shoulder - a poacher....

But with the different formations, he's often found himself out wide left. Not to mention all the hard work GJ makes him put in - he cant just stand around waiting for a chance - he has to close defenders down for 90 minutes - Something he admits he never did before he came here....

I'd have to disagree there. Maynard's natural position is right up front on the defenders shoulder - a poacher....

But with the different formations, he's often found himself out wide left. Not to mention all the hard work GJ makes him put in - he cant just stand around waiting for a chance - he has to close defenders down for 90 minutes - Something he admits he never did before he came here....

Not quite sure what your disagreeing with but i assume you to mean that maynards role as an out and out striker (No1 choice) has not been straightforward?

His workrate and enthusiasm has been an inspiration this year ,of that there is no doubt.

Haven't seen the replay but I thought Sheff Wed gave him a lot of room? I also suspected he was denied one by a bogus off-side decision. Anyway, Nicky is definitely player of the season so far and when he starts scoring the easy ones he'll be scoring 30+ easily.

Just hope him and Saborio can get their communication sorted. Yesterday there was a point where Nicky wanted the ball to his right, but didn't know what Saborio was going to do. Saborio played it where Nicky wanted it, was a perfect pass and Nicky would have been clean through (on his left) but since Nicky wasn't expecting it he didn't move.

I sit in the upper dolman, block F close to the EE and the goal was scored at the Ateyo end so I didn't have the best view, it did look to me like he was battling players in their penalty area holding them off, it was a bit of a scramble and he finished over the keeper. Could be mistaken though, I didn't have a fantastic view of it. Haven't seen the replay either.

Not quite sure what your disagreeing with but i assume you to mean that maynards role as an out and out striker (No1 choice) has not been straightforward?

His workrate and enthusiasm has been an inspiration this year ,of that there is no doubt.

yeah, you said his role was straight-forward... when in fact he has'nt just scored the goals.... and had to play out of position....

Inspiration indeed. :city:

I sit in the upper dolman, block F close to the EE and the goal was scored at the Ateyo end so I didn't have the best view, it did look to me like he was battling players in their penalty area holding them off, it was a bit of a scramble and he finished over the keeper. Could be mistaken though, I didn't have a fantastic view of it. Haven't seen the replay either.

Finally saw the replay and you're right, he was holding off players at the end. Pretty shoddy defending though.

Finally saw the replay and you're right, he was holding off players at the end. Pretty shoddy defending though.

I just saw it too, wow he did well there, for the considerable size and weight difference between nicky and their defense he held them off really well. That's a goal of a 20+ a season striker imo, he can not only score long rangers, but those scrappy goals that require determination as much as skill. Well done maynard :city:

Archived