IGNORED

Just Suppose

Rob k

• Admin
Would you be happy if SL said we would take the money and run, ie, get promoted and not spend a penny on players and bank it all to pay for the new stadium?

To an extent yes.

I certainly don't think we should go hell for leather in trying to stay up.

Make the same 6 or 7 affordable signings we made upon making it to the Championship (& this Summer too) and keep some of the cash for the stadium & some for assaulting the Championship the next season.

I'd probably look into finding the off switch for OTIB though ;)

Not sure I could take the moaning on this forum about how man u dominated the midfield or we were out passed by Arsenal

I think yes, if we could become a yo-yo team for a few years and build up funds from a season in the prem plus parachute payments it would not be a bad thing.

Too dangerous to spend big.

A few years ago WBA went up and didn't sign any expensive stars. They came straight back down which is what they expected. With the revenue however, they built a strong Champioship team and then won promotion again and stayed up for several seasons.

1980 when City were relegated from Div 1, I and I suspect many others thought we'd jump straight back up.

I'd expect Johnson to supplement what would clearly already be a decent squad with a bit of established but not excessively priced Premier League class but otherwise trust "this group of lads who got us here", just as he did when we reached the Championship. I would expect the cost for this to be low by Premier League standard and for Steve Lansdown to approve it.

However I wouldn't mind if they chose to spend nothing, and come to think about it I wouldn't mind if they spent heavily either, such is my confidence in the men in charge.

A few years ago WBA went up and didn't sign any expensive stars. They came straight back down which is what they expected. With the revenue however, they built a strong Champioship team and then won promotion again and stayed up for several seasons.

1980 when City were relegated from Div 1, I and I suspect many others thought we'd jump straight back up.

Certainly should never have gone straight down with that squad.

It's an interesting one but it is very noticeable that teams that have got promoted, stayed up and then go down in their second season often end up in financial turmoil, all for the sake of one extra season in the Premier League.

Bradford are a prime example and Hull could soon become another - There's an article on this front room website that looks at Hull's plight and the player's that they may have to shift in order to reduce their wage bill.

Apparently it's the 7th highest in the Premier League. How on earth did that happen?! You'd think spending that much would put you in a better position but obviously that's not always the case...

Archived